Sign in to follow this  
Captain Birdseye

So where do we go from here?

So you would just keep changing managers every few games because we are not top 6 - some fans really believe that we have some divine right to be promoted or get in the play offs - we have a new structure with new players and new manager - give them a chance for goodness sake - as a poster said earlier its a good job Huddedsfield did not sack Wagner after the first season - it will take at least a season fir our new way of doing things take shape and I for one am not expecting any great shakes this season

Following the debacles at Villa and Millwall, this messageboard went into meltdown re our defensive frailties and the need to address the problem. It gets addressed, we play two defensive midfielders and keep two clean sheets, yes, likely at the expense of any creativity. Then this board goes into meltdown once again! Two clean sheets, we move to about halfway up the table, and still you moan. There has to be a balance, the coach is getting there, but patience is needed. Too many of you want instant success. That isn''t going to happen. A side has to be built to win, we don''t have money for the instant success so many crave, and never will have.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Following the debacles at Villa and Millwall, this messageboard went into meltdown re our defensive frailties and the need to address the problem. It gets addressed, we play two defensive midfielders and keep two clean sheets, yes, likely at the expense of any creativity. Then this board goes into meltdown once again! Two clean sheets, we move to about halfway up the table, and still you moan. There has to be a balance, the coach is getting there, but patience is needed. Too many of you want instant success. That isn''t going to happen. A side has to be built to win, we don''t have money for the instant success so many crave, and never will have.[/quote]

City I was at both of those games and agree Millwall was awful I left at 4th goal, however poor our defending was at Villa i was impressed with the way we kept going and tbh at 3-2 had we equalised our attacking display with Nelson on could have won that game. We must not get too many beatings, this team wont cope with that. I am convinced we will get there, it might take two seasons but lack of investment might make it longer.

[quote user="Bomber"]So you would just keep changing managers every few games because we are not top 6 - some fans really believe that we have some divine right to be promoted or get in the play offs - we have a new structure with new players and new manager - give them a chance for goodness sake - as a poster said earlier its a good job Huddedsfield did not sack Wagner after the first season - it will take at least a season fir our new way of doing things take shape and I for one am not expecting any great shakes this season[/quote]

That''s not quite right Bomber. I don''t think any fans think we have a divine right at all.

Its more to do with the fact that as club we had a competitive advantage over many clubs in the championship. Having recently been in the premier league we have the advantage of receiving parachute payments, as well as the benefit of being a more attractive proposition to potential new players than most other clubs.

Instead of using this competitive advantage to sign the best players available for the positions required, Webber decided to use a scatter gun transfer strategy in the German lower leagues whilst initiating unnecessary levels of change.

What we''ve done this summer (radical change), should have taken place next summer had promotion not been achieved. We''ve deiced to throw away any advantage we have for no reason other than a lack of ambition and overly risk adverse strategy. Selling Murphy, along with parachute payments surely were enough to see us through to next summer whereby wholesale change could take place.

Its not a divine right, its shear frustration at the gross incompetence this club continues to show, mainly in respect to recruitment and decision making. It seems like over the last couple of seasons it would have been easier to have been successful.

Tend to agree with you Lincoln... I have been frustrated with decisions the club has taken...I don''t believe we suddenly are "potless"...

But the bottom line remains it will not get better by sacking yet another manager or start groaning too loudly yet....

I think they should have sacked Neil after the terrible run before X-mas last season! I am convinced a seasoned manager, with experience in the Championship would have gotten us to the play-offs!!! Doesn''t mean we would have made it etc... But I still am angry about the decision making then and I am anxious about the new setup with Webber.

I am trying my best to come to terms with midtable Championship mediocrity 4 a few seasons... it''s difficult, but it''s reality

Surely the fact that in your words, we''ve undertaken a ''radical change'', to then cry lack of ambition and ''overly risk averse'', doesn''t quite make sense? In every way this is one of the biggest risks the board could have opted for.

I agree with the minority on this thread, that despite some poor results there is some definite wheat amongst chaff so far.The pitchforks seem to be overworked this season with a new key issue per week- we concede too many goals, and the manager tinkers with the team too much. The next two games, we play in a more solid fashion and with almost the same starting XI- we don''t score enough goals and the manager should have tinkered more. To me, it''s quite obvious that Farke is still learning the league and although things haven''t been massively positive so far, am willing to give it a bit more time before I write things off.Klose''s words the other day I think ring true for the manager. In theory, if we keep the ball well and have technically decent players we should win more than we lose in the humdrum English Championship- the artistry of being battered down by a long punt to a big man clearly being lost on Farke. However, he has dropped BOTH of his ideal systems in the last week to gain back some solidity in defence, bringing two clean sheets in the process; contextually, that fact isn''t ideal given Burtongate, but it does show a reactivity in the managers way of thinking that one could reasonably hope will translate into adding goals to the mix. That''s the way I''m leaning, anyway.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel) wrote the following post at 2017-09-14 4:58 PM:

Bomber wrote:
So you would just keep changing managers every few games because we are not top 6 - some fans really believe that we have some divine right to be promoted or get in the play offs - we have a new structure with new players and new manager - give them a chance for goodness sake - as a poster said earlier its a good job Huddedsfield did not sack Wagner after the first season - it will take at least a season fir our new way of doing things take shape and I for one am not expecting any great shakes this season

That''s not quite right Bomber. I don''t think any fans think we have a divine right at all.

Its more to do with the fact that as club we had a competitive advantage over many clubs in the championship. Having recently been in the premier league we have the advantage of receiving parachute payments, as well as the benefit of being a more attractive proposition to potential new players than most other clubs.

And every team relegated from the prem have/had that same competitive advantage in parachute payment. Look at the championship table and you will (should) see just how many of them are still there. Parachute payments equates to the instant success you and others crave. You cannot buy that at championship level. That promotion will come with a steady build of talent and good coach, and we have both.

[quote user="hogesar"]Surely the fact that in your words, we''ve undertaken a ''radical change'', to then cry lack of ambition and ''overly risk averse'', doesn''t quite make sense? In every way this is one of the biggest risks the board could have opted for.[/quote]

No Hoggy, because the radical change refers to the level of change... and it is only a risk if promotion is the real ambition. Which it isn''t. Financially, we''ve gone for the safest strategy possible.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="hogesar"]Surely the fact that in your words, we''ve undertaken a ''radical change'', to then cry lack of ambition and ''overly risk averse'', doesn''t quite make sense? In every way this is one of the biggest risks the board could have opted for.[/quote]

No Hoggy, because the radical change refers to the level of change... and it is only a risk if promotion is the real ambition. Which it isn''t. Financially, we''ve gone for the safest strategy possible.[/quote]
In terms of level of change I agree. But I don''t think it''s the safest/cheapest strategy possible. For example, I don''t think paying off all our existing backroom staff, bringing in new one''s and taking a Sporting Director from a team about to be promoted and entice him away was the cheapest strategy.

What really concerns me about the fact that we are in "transition" or "consolidating" is that we are doing it at a point where we don''t have time to be patient or to write off another season.

On the one hand we are being told we need to be patient whereas on the other hand the club is openly saying they will have to sell any high earning players next summer if we don''t go up.

We are downsizing prematurely in my book and "consolidating" seems to me to just be code for "getting used to being sh*t again."