Sign in to follow this  
Captain Birdseye

So where do we go from here?

Last night was an awful night in an awful season so far

Do we just accept yet another season of rubbish? What can we actually do to show our dissatisfaction?

A happy clapper in front of me who is never critical left at half time. When the likes of him go I have to say enough is enough

But what to do? That is the question

Hanley in for Vranic, Reed in for Hoolahan, and go all out for a clean sheet against newly promoted Sheffield United?

We go to Sheffield from here. Keep defending well and work on creating more goal scoring chances.

Yes it was rubbish for most of the game last night but what else is there to do on a Tuesday night.

It''s funny that people were complaining about the defence being a shambles and as soon as we get two clean sheets, back-to-back, suddenly it''s the midfield and attack that''s now the problem.Apples

The problem is a team that looks less than able to do well in this league. And tactics that seem wrong fitted to the league. And a manager who is a rookie and doesnt understand the league. And a board who are no longer helping the club progress.

Where are we to go from here? League 1 is a real possibility given what I have witnessed so far.

We find new owners or we slide into championship mediocrity or possibly league 1 within a couple of seasons.

Unfortunately we have no choice so its likely we will follow the latter path.

We keep going, simple as that. We''ve got the players we''re stuck with until January, and a management team we''ve invested a lot of time and money into. Nothing is going to change any time soon.

Farke is still learning about the league, just a shame it''s probably going to hinder our chances of making the play-offs by the time the system (hopefully) turns fruitful

How anyone can say last night was acceptable against Burton is beyond me! Yes we got a clean sheet but that wasn''t hard against a team who played for 0-0 all night!

The biggest problem is a coach who has absolutely no idea about English football or how to use substitutes to change a game!

Anybody who thinks we will trouble the top 8 whilst Farke is in charge should see a shrink!

We have to also remember that as well as being a new league and country for most of the players it''s also new for Farke. In the same way that those with any kind of optimistic streak among us hope that some of the new foreign signings will adapt and become assets to the team, it''s not unreasonable to hope that Farke is also learning about Championship football and will adapt his tactics as the season progresses. If he doesn''t though then I''d agree that we probably have a mediocre season in store. Let''s give him a while longer though before we jump to lasting judgements. After all, it''s not unheard of for City sides past to struggle to break down time-wasting bottom-of-table sides. I seem to recall watching plenty of similar ''spectacles'' in seasons past...

[quote user="Baldyboy"]The biggest problem is a coach who has absolutely no idea about English football or how to use substitutes to change a game![/quote]Ah, you mean like when Huddersfield appointed Wagner, who had no idea about English football and led them to an excellent 19th place finish in his first season?Good job they didn''t keep that shower in a job...oh...wait...that''s right, the season after he got them promoted - what were those idiots thinking at Huddersfield, he should have been gone after 10 games in his first season shouldn''t he?

Cannot see anyway this team can stay up , they look league one the results so far point to relegation and I don''t buy this give them time bollocks . Truth is we have not faced any of the better teams yet and when we do they are going to tear us a new one .

Mr Apples wrote the following post at 13/09/2017 10:07 AM:

It''s funny that people were complaining about the defence being a shambles and as soon as we get two clean sheets, back-to-back, suddenly it''s the midfield and attack that''s now the problem.

Did you see the game?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Baldyboy"]The biggest problem is a coach who has absolutely no idea about English football or how to use substitutes to change a game![/quote]Ah, you mean like when Huddersfield appointed Wagner, who had no idea about English football and led them to an excellent 19th place finish in his first season?Good job they didn''t keep that shower in a job...oh...wait...that''s right, the season after he got them promoted - what were those idiots thinking at Huddersfield, he should have been gone after 10 games in his first season shouldn''t he?[/quote]

Ah yes the old Huddersfield quote, occurs regularly on here doesn''t it?

Can you show where I''ve said the coach should go please. If you watched last night where was the evidence he can change a game, me and 24000 others must have missed that Indy

He left late and they made no difference.

Sounds like Nelson coming off was because he was injured rather than a tactical move.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]League one this year, league two the next. What a shambles.[/quote]I think McCarthy will keep your lot up this season, actually.

Currently 8 points from 7 games which means we could end up narrowly missing relegation with 52 points. We desparately need Pritchard''s creativity and another striker as the goals have dried up. It''s going to be a long and vervous season and I predict Farke won''t be here by the end of it.

8 points from 7 playing the weaker not stronger sides!!

So we are, I fear, in relegation form unless we improve. Personally I think we will - we have too much talent to go down. But I do fear our best will want out come xmas- if that improvement doesn''t come soon. And when we also have to cut the costs again in the summer....

Eek

You sound like you live in constant fear. Maybe you should try doing something less risky. Something that would make you feel better.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Ah yes the old Huddersfield quote, occurs regularly on here doesn''t it?

Can you show where I''ve said the coach should go please. If you watched last night where was the evidence he can change a game, me and 24000 others must have missed that Indy[/quote]Can you show me where Wagner''s evidence was for changing a game after a FULL season was?You''re making the argument that the ''biggest problem'' is a coach who doesn''t know English football, what I''ve clearly demonstrated is that Wagner was in the exact same position, that they finished poorly in his first season there, but instead of just getting rid and changing approach again, the Huddersfield board stuck with him and it got them promoted as his ideas finally took and filtered through - something that many of our fans wouldn''t even be able to consider an option at this point.Slate the manager/board/players all you like Baldy, but I''m fully aware that we''re in a massive period of change and restructure, that things will take time to settle and that players and staff alike will need time to get to grips with the changes, but we''re setting an underlying approach and philosophy that should stand us in good stead longer term, so that even if Farke doesn''t end up being the right man for the job, the setup is such that a replacement will be far easier to find (and far less expensive), and won''t require a completely different approach instilling from top to bottom each time.PS, as for you and 24000 others missing evidence, you clearly missed the amount of passing and involvement that Vrancic had, so if the other 24000 people were seeing the same, I''m not worried in the slightest that you didn''t see any evidence of Farke being able to change things....

It''s another game closer to the manager finding the right balance, to new players reaching their potential by acclimatising to the division. While it was a frustrating evening I don''t think it''s difficult to be optimistic about the bigger picture, if you want to be of course.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]It''s another game closer to the manager finding the right balance, to new players reaching their potential by acclimatising to the division. While it was a frustrating evening I don''t think it''s difficult to be optimistic about the bigger picture, if you want to be of course.[/quote]

Sorry Gordon, I disagree. I don''t think we''re close to finding the right balance at all. We''ve changed between formations, philosophy''s and personal so often, and we really don''t seem to be nailing anything down. Possibly we might see the defence stay the same, albeit with a left midfielder having to play left back, but I can see the midfield being chopped and changed again.

We either dominate possession and don''t score or win, or we play with less possession and seem to be more of a threat and actually win. Everything seems so sporadic and illogical at the minute. I don''t have faith there is educated thought going into this, and its a test by trial with trials set to go full circle without desired outcome!

On things for sure, the midfield for the last two games needs changing. Murphy, Hoolahan and Vrancic are not effective together. I''ve said before, i think we need the directness of Wildshut and Watkins, and they should both start against Sheff Utd and be given a run of games to find form. They we''re both showing good form in pre-season and have been inexplicably dropped.

As Vrancic, I''ve seen enough to suggest he''s squad player at most. I don''t want to see him starting again unless absolutely necessary (injuries), and particularity not in a game away from home .

And to echo the thoughts of some, we really havent played anyone decent yet.

Sunderland and Birminham on dreadful runs, Villa off to a poor start, Milwall relegation favourites, Burton relegation favorites and just been stuffed 5-0 at Leeds.

Villa and Sunderland have only won once this season, both against us! QPR seems to be the only result of any note, but being honest that game could have gone either way.

We''ve had a poor start. Anyone saying different is just sugar coating it. The thought of trips to Leeds, Middlesborough, Preston, Forest, Sheff wed, Hull and Cardiff at the minute fills me with dread!

We need to improve soon or we are definitely in for a relegation scrap.