Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Progress

First started following Canaries in Sept 1961 (v Sunderland - Brian Clough was their centre forward).

For a couple of years we had been second tier bottom half. We were full of honest types of the likes of Kennon/Ashman/McCrohan/Butler/Hill/Bryceland/Punton/Allcock etc etc. The game was exciting played with wingers/centre forward etc and headed goals were often a feature! Expressions of the likes of final third/second balls/in the hole/sitting/professional foul, were never used, at least not in this context! We enjoyed the games (mostly), we were entertained and often discussed the game on the way home instead of staring at a telephone screen for 95% of the time.

We did not have Sporting Directors/coaches/dieticians/owners etc etc, the players were paid about twice what they would have earned in any other job and admission prices were affordable. We were not interested in statistics (again not in this context!) and could n''t care less re % possession, numbers of fouls, shots on target. All we were interested in was that we saw a good game and of course that we won! Tackles were made, bookings were few and sending offs almost unheard of.

Over the past 50+ years we have generally occupied the same league position excepting of course a few highlights under Messrs Saunders/Bond/Walker/Lambert but those highlights were ''fleeting''and we soon adjusted back, to lower half of the second tier where we currently are. No amount of ''7 year plans'' etc etc have/or will make much difference and short of major shake up/investment the same will continue.

Honesty is long gone and we just do not know what we are going to get from week to week. Reasonable one week, appalling the next, the quality of the opposition makes little difference. I truly believe that our Club is now in the worst position I have witnessed in the past 50+ years. Our Manager''s post match comments are almost incoherent and he appears completely out of his depth.

Progress, my backside!

I think the main are of progress is in the whole set up of the club.  We are financially stable for the first time maybe in our history and along with that we now have a totally football based management system replacing the reliance on an all singing/dancing CEO. Now that doesnl''t mean everything is hunky dory - far from it - the football is what really matters and that is in transtion at the moment.  All we can do is hope that the new system works and that if Farke doesnt cut the mustard, he can be replaced without great upheaval, because the footballing philosophy comes from higher up.So progress? Yes, in some ways. The football has entered a new era - not firing yet, but should do, given the new set up, but it may take time.

Are we financially stable LDC?

We have already been told we will have to sell players next summer, which we all know will mean some of Murphy, Oliveria, Pritchard etc. If we are reliant on selling our best players to get buy, a point will come in a few years where we run out of players to sell. I''m not sure it works as a business model.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Are we financially stable LDC? We have already been told we will have to sell players next summer, which we all know will mean some of Murphy, Oliveria, Pritchard etc. If we are reliant on selling our best players to get buy, a point will come in a few years where we run out of players to sell. I''m not sure it works as a business model.[/quote]

It certainly stopped working at the end for Chase.

When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.

What rogue said. A stable business doesn''t need to sell its key assets every year.

We''re stable as long as Josh, Pritchard or Maddison perform well enough to attract 8 figure offers and then we need to replace them for less and hope they perform well enough to attract offers etc etc...

[quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

Depends how you assess our current plight old chap. We have yet to prove that we have a side that can compete with Clubs even in the lower reaches of this division. We replace players with others that are not up to the job. We have an incompetent board (beyond dispute). Plus a manager that seems tactically incompetent and (incoherent). As far as our financial plight is concerned we are told the cupboard is bare! If you can remember a worse time than this I must be losing my memory!

[quote user="lake district canary"]I think the main are of progress is in the whole set up of the club.  We are financially stable for the first time maybe in our history and along with that we now have a totally football based management system replacing the reliance on an all singing/dancing CEO. Now that doesnl''t mean everything is hunky dory - far from it - the football is what really matters and that is in transtion at the moment.  All we can do is hope that the new system works and that if Farke doesnt cut the mustard, he can be replaced without great upheaval, because the footballing philosophy comes from higher up.So progress? Yes, in some ways. The football has entered a new era - not firing yet, but should do, given the new set up, but it may take time.

[/quote]

Just exactly how does the football philosophy come from higher up when there is no football playing experience above Farke?

Maybe you ought to sample the dross currently being served before you make yet another stupid statement!

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

Depends how you assess our current plight old chap. We have yet to prove that we have a side that can compete with Clubs even in the lower reaches of this division. We replace players with others that are not up to the job. We have an incompetent board (beyond dispute). Plus a manager that seems tactically incompetent and (incoherent). As far as our financial plight is concerned we are told the cupboard is bare! If you can remember a worse time than this I must be losing my memory![/quote]2008/9. Less than a decade ago.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

Depends how you assess our current plight old chap. We have yet to prove that we have a side that can compete with Clubs even in the lower reaches of this division. We replace players with others that are not up to the job. We have an incompetent board (beyond dispute). Plus a manager that seems tactically incompetent and (incoherent). As far as our financial plight is concerned we are told the cupboard is bare! If you can remember a worse time than this I must be losing my memory![/quote]2008/9. Less than a decade ago.[/quote]

....and please enlighten me as to which aspect of our predicament was worse then than now!

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

Depends how you assess our current plight old chap. We have yet to prove that we have a side that can compete with Clubs even in the lower reaches of this division. We replace players with others that are not up to the job. We have an incompetent board (beyond dispute). Plus a manager that seems tactically incompetent and (incoherent). As far as our financial plight is concerned we are told the cupboard is bare! If you can remember a worse time than this I must be losing my memory![/quote]2008/9. Less than a decade ago.[/quote]

....and please enlighten me as to which aspect of our predicament was worse then than now![/quote]Obviously the relegation to League One when 20 Million in debt and administration on the horizon.

Certainly isn''t the worse state the clubs been in for years. That would obviously be the league 1 relegation and our fantastic owners contemplating selling the stadium. That said this team so far this season are looking like a team capable of reaching those lows.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

....and please enlighten me as to which aspect of our predicament was worse then than now![/quote]Obviously the relegation to League One when 20 Million in debt and administration on the horizon.[/quote]Thanks Paul, saved me the bother.

The only progress I see is the progression from moaning about Neil to moaning about Farke. That after the progression from moaning about Hughton to moaning about Adams. And of course swinging from moaning about negative football to moaning about positive football and now moaning about negative football again.
I liked how we played under Adams the Neil. Never made any secret of it either. I will now get used to this and whatever follows.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

Depends how you assess our current plight old chap. We have yet to prove that we have a side that can compete with Clubs even in the lower reaches of this division. We replace players with others that are not up to the job. We have an incompetent board (beyond dispute). Plus a manager that seems tactically incompetent and (incoherent). As far as our financial plight is concerned we are told the cupboard is bare! If you can remember a worse time than this I must be losing my memory![/quote]No.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The only progress I see is the progression from moaning about Neil to moaning about Farke. That after the progression from moaning about Hughton to moaning about Adams. And of course swinging from moaning about negative football to moaning about positive football and now moaning about negative football again.
I liked how we played under Adams the Neil. Never made any secret of it either. I will now get used to this and whatever follows.
[/quote]

How refreshing to hear of your consistent delight at the performance of our Club when you inhabit the world of the fickle football fan Nutty. You don''t let the mere fact that the players decide on a game to game basis whether they can be bothered to turn up concern you! Why should they twice a week when only on a mere £20k pw or so?

In this money driven game (as Mr Negative - quite the reverse of your goodself!) I''ll now make another prediction. David Wagner will not be in post at the end of the season, Big Sam has already ''set out his stall'' for the interview!

Oh, I do wish I could be nice and positive like you!

Depends how you assess our current plight old chap. We have yet to prove that we have a side that can compete with Clubs even in the lower reaches of this division. We replace players with others that are not up to the job. We have an incompetent board (beyond dispute). Plus a manager that seems tactically incompetent and (incoherent). As far as our financial plight is concerned we are told the cupboard is bare! If you can remember a worse time than this I must be losing my memory![/quote]
We look about as midtable as it is possible to look.
Baring in mind the couple of season prior to, and the actual relegation to the third tier, I don''t think this is the worst situation the club has been in.
I also disagree that the ''board'' are incompetent.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

Depends how you assess our current plight old chap. We have yet to prove that we have a side that can compete with Clubs even in the lower reaches of this division. We replace players with others that are not up to the job. We have an incompetent board (beyond dispute). Plus a manager that seems tactically incompetent and (incoherent). As far as our financial plight is concerned we are told the cupboard is bare! If you can remember a worse time than this I must be losing my memory![/quote]
Baring in mind the couple of season prior to, and the actual relegation to the third tier, I don''t think this is the worst situation the club has been in.
[/quote]The board''s ability to act and to make the best decisions is constrained by their pauperism, but on balance - bearing that in mind - I think their record has been pretty decent. As far as managers are concerned, the one really inexuscusable decision was to keep Gunn on after relegation. You could argue about some of the other choices, and the timings of sackings, but you would struggle to get a consensus here on the latter. As for the former, it has to be borne in mind that we get to pick from the third tier of managers - not the dozen or so universal geniuses, not the up and comers who have already proved themselves in the Premier League, but the reliable old stagers (think Warnock or McCarthy), the old stagers who might be on the slide (think perhaps Pardew), the promising newcomers who have done well, but only with one club, and that down below, or the wild cards from overseas.This week I came across a revealing statistic on a Guardian Football Weekly. Manchester United have won the league a record 20 times, but only with three managers and one of those was in charge before world war one. After him Busby won it five times and Ferguson 13. In other words, every other Man Utd manager has failed. One of the biggest clubs in the world, able to have its pick of the best managers, with winning the league a realistic ambition (a bit akin to us getting promoted to the Premier League) has made failed choice after failed choice.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="hogesar"]When someone thinks we''re in our ''worst position for 50 years'' then you know they''re probably insane. Or a Derby fan.[/quote]

[/quote]The board''s ability to act and to make the best decisions is constrained by their pauperism, but on balance - bearing that in mind - I think their record has been pretty decent. As far as managers are concerned, the one really inexuscusable decision was to keep Gunn on after relegation. You could argue about some of the other choices, and the timings of sackings, but you would struggle to get a consensus here on the latter. As for the former, it has to be borne in mind that we get to pick from the third tier of managers - not the dozen or so universal geniuses, not the up and comers who have already proved themselves in the Premier League, but the reliable old stagers (think Warnock or McCarthy), the old stagers who might be on the slide (think perhaps Pardew), the promising newcomers who have done well, but only with one club, and that down below, or the wild cards from overseas.This week I came across a revealing statistic on a Guardian Football Weekly. Manchester United have won the league a record 20 times, but only with three managers and one of those was in charge before world war one. After him Busby won it five times and Ferguson 13. In other words, every other Man Utd manager has failed. One of the biggest clubs in the world, able to have its pick of the best managers, with winning the league a realistic ambition (a bit akin to us getting promoted to the Premier League) has made failed choice after failed choice.

[/quote]

Not really so revealing Purple Canary if you consider that those two lads managed Man Utd for a combined total of some 51 years! The problem with NFC board is not that they are void of good intentions. It is more that they have not got the slightest clue when it comes to football knowledge/strategy and that they compound the problem by recruiting others (friends and relations)that are even worse! The best Managers in any industry are those that know when to call it a day....sadly that does not apply to Delia!