Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Nobody out there

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Probably not. The Venkeys had never set foot in Lancashire. We had a thread about it wishing we were them ☺[/quote]
One of my business partners now worked quite closely with the Venkys. They''re not bad people but even he couldn''t believe they''d spent that kind of money on a football club when they had literally no knowledge of what to do - and didn''t even seek advice from sensible people either.

With Sky signing a new EFL deal this week, pumping 600m into the championship and lower leagues, there will be plenty of "investors" trying to muscle into this level of football.

City 2nd wrote the following post at 15/09/2017 9:51 AM:

"With Sky signing a new EFL deal this week, pumping 600m into the championship and lower leagues, there will be plenty of "investors" trying to muscle into this level of football."

I don''t know enough about how the Sky deal works, do you really think it brings enough new money to the Championship to influence these decisions or is the timing just a coincidence?

The timing is more linked to the fact that the Barnsley owner is dieing of cancer. I don''t think that the sky deal is enough ti influence anything. its pretty small beer in financial terms although I suppose the greater potential exposure of championship football on sky (and through streaming now) makes EFL clubs a bit more attractive to foreign investors.

the point is more that we are often asked who would want to buy us and it is queried whether there is anyone out there who would want to take on our club. The fact we are not a fashionable club and are geographical location are often cited as deterrents. It doesn''t seem to prevent virtually every other club in the top 2 divisions from finding buyers/investors.

The other point is its also another club to add to the growing list of clubs at this level with whom we probably won''t be able to compete financially as from next season.

Shudder....I''m only about 20-25 mins from Barnsley, and in truth I think I''ve been there about 5 times in my life (only 2 of which were for away matches), and I won''t be rushing to take the tally to 6 either.They speak a strange variant of the classic Yorkshire colloquialism, think a teacake is a bread roll (and a fruited teacake is what everyone else would call a teacake), and often tend to have the same IQ as a pint of draught bitter!Can''t fault the Metrodome, but that''s about the only redeeming feature I can think of tbh...

My favourite fact about Barnsley is that the first recorded use of the V sign is in a photograph taken of a miner in Barnsley in about 1902, who was clearly not very keen on having his photo taken.

One of my friends has a son who''s just signed (age about 13) for the football academy at Barnsley and from what he tells me, the youth setup there is impressively well organized.

Anyway, I think it certainly makes the point that if Chinese/American billionaires can decide to invest in Barnsley football club, there''s clearly no reason why they wouldn''t be interested in Norwich.  It''s all about finding the right sort of billionaire I guess.

I think its more about being available.

I think its fairly clear, on the basis of previous quotes anyway, that the same buyers would rightly or wrongly not be considered suitable by our owners.

Will be interesting to see how our respective clubs fare should this takeover go through.

Every club is seeing the future is big money and we are stuck with the stowmarket 2

It really infuriates me that we are stuck with the cook 👨‍🍳 and there is nothing we can do about it

Financial mismanagement and nepotism surely they no longer pass the fit and proper test to run a football club?

[quote user="City 2nd"]With Sky signing a new EFL deal this week, pumping 600m into the championship and lower leagues, there will be plenty of "investors" trying to muscle into this level of football.[/quote]Divide by 5 for the years and 24 for the clubs and it works out at 5m per club per year. It is as near to peanuts as you can get.

Or alternatively, look at the geography, they''ve got Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, doncaster, Manchester and possibly even York closer than we are to Ipswich. Far better transport links, far greater potential audience (not allowing for the multitude of other clubs/fickleness of followers), possibly cheaper than we would be...

Much as I love our club, it is approaching the rse end of nowhere (though a bejazzled end it is). The only other club I can think of in the efl with a similar geographic profile would be Carlisle!

''so all the clubs with ''hinvestors'' will be able to go up ?''

No, but those without will find it tougher and tougher. Not many teams without investors or parachute payments get promoted these days.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]Jimbo, do you ever stop moaning? Serious question buddy.[/quote]I thought I was your favourite moaner Nutty. Not this Jim chappieI''m all upset now.... [:D][/quote]
You''re still my favourite miseryguts Smiffy. And Jimbo is my favourite moaning minnie. You compliment eachother like coffee and cream. Anyway, you can never have too many favourites.[;)]

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 15/09/2017 1:16 PM

Divide by 5 for the years and 24 for the clubs and it works out at 5m per club per year. It is as near to peanuts as you can get.

Thanks for the answer to my earlier question. I should have done the maths myself 😀

Hardly likely to stimulate a wave of takeovers of Championship clubs.

Can''t see the problem. Toms been saving all his £2 coins in a big whisky bottle. He''s got nearly £400 in there now.