Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Klose back - three clean sheets on the bounce

I was trying to think back Alex. It''s a long time since we had 3 consecutive shut outs and in the league.

Great for our defence and young Angus!

Steipermann deserves credit too, but I agree Klose has been immense. Zimmermann has certainly looked more comfortable next to the experienced Klose too. Tim admitted himself last season he struggled, he certainly seems to be up for it this time around. 3 very good performances defensively - and we''ve yet to see Hanley come in!

Tettey and Trybull providing a defensive screen has made a huge difference.

Tettey and Trybull shielding the back four. Klose back in, and looking better than last season. Stieperman looking a good fit on the left.

Some combination of all those things, and a general increase in desire and fight on the pitch.

It''s great to see!

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]That''s four clean sheets this season and the common factor is that dear old Russ didn''t play in any of them, but he''s still a nice chap.[/quote]

But he did, he came on against QPR so he''s done his bit too 😊

SU were looking to get down the wing then hit low crosses in from there. What looked different is that the players are aware of where the other players are. so a more of a diagonal in chess than in the same row.That means that any cross meets a City boot. Gunn was excellent plucking out and high cross and holding it. the ball was also played out well even under pressure so it wasn''t hoofed clear to come straight back again.I would suggest the line up was aimed \t stopping SU, and it worked. So don''t be surprised when that line up changes according to the opposition. Also to exploit their weaknesses.SU never really had any chance where you would have expected them to score.

Baldyboy wrote the following post at 16/09/2017 5:21 PM:

Crafty Canary wrote:
That''s four clean sheets this season and the common factor is that dear old Russ didn''t play in any of them, but he''s still a nice chap.

But he did, he came on against QPR so he''s Done his bit too 😊

He came on as a replacement for Pinto not as a CB.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 16/09/2017 5:26 PM:

Great to see straw clutching from the boo boys. Its going to be a good couple of days on here.☺

I''m sure you happy clappers will contribute plenty also. 😊

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Baldyboy wrote the following post at 16/09/2017 5:21 PM:

Crafty Canary wrote:
That''s four clean sheets this season and the common factor is that dear old Russ didn''t play in any of them, but he''s still a nice chap.

But he did, he came on against QPR so he''s Done his bit too 😊

He came on as a replacement for Pinto not as a CB.[/quote]

Doesn''t matter who he came on for, he still played a part in it didn''t he?

Fair play to Klose, but as others have said, Stiepermann has been excellent.

[quote user="Canary Utd II"]The truth is out there! Plain to see, pity it''s taken so long and a pity the crowd at Millwall had to make their valid point...[/quote]Yes, it was MartinMartin all the time, and if it had not been for those pesky supporters he would still be getting away with itin fact now he has been exposed I think I shall write him a letter this very evening, outlining my thoughtssomething like...Dear Russel Martinboooyours sincerely Mr H Parrot

@hoegsar

If you don''t think Klose has had a significant impact not just by his own performances but also on the performances of others around him, then I don''t know what to say.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I was trying to think back Alex. It''s a long time since we had 3 consecutive shut outs and in the league.

Great for our defence and young Angus![/quote]
I think the last time was under Hootun in the PL against Stoke, Reading and that famous 1-0 win over Man Utd. 
Home to Bristol City next. I''ve got no idea when we last had four consecutive clean sheets. Perhaps the stattos will get hold of this before that game. It would be a proud record to continue.

Klose has been good. Seems to have calmed those around him. Would say Stiepermann has made just as much of an impact as him, but the overall structural change even more so.

Martin just as likely to keep a clean sheet in a system which protects the back four as Zimmerman.

Maybe. Fact of the matter is without him in the team we''ve looked far better defensively and I''d argue a large part of this is the fact the defense looks far better organised with Klose and Pinto leading it.

Pinto has been there to lead the defence for 2 seasons. Klose was their to lead it last season. And we were poor defensively then. So not sure its that.

Combination of a Klose in the right mindset, Stiepermann and an inherent change to our structure and team priorities.

Ii never ceases to amaze me how people''s thinking is perpetually focussed on individuals rather than the group. Klose hasn''t just "come in", he''s come back into a group which, in his absence has learned to defend properly and is set up in a way thoroughly familiar to him. He has players either side and in front of him who share that familiarity, plus the calmness and assuredness that goes with it. Meanwhile, Pinto and Tettey both look defensively different players for the same reason. On the one occasion the shield slipped up, Klose found himself one on one with Brooks, was nutmegged and only that good save by Gunn prevented us going behind. 

@westcoast

''he''s come back into a group which, in his absence has learned to defend properly''

Eh? When did that happen?

Yes, defending is a group activity and the new set up certainly helps. But I don''t think it''s a coincidence that Zimmerman has looked much more assured next to Klose. We seem much more organised as a group, runners are being picked up, decision making is better and people seem to know their positions. My feeling is a fair bit of that is down to the leadership Klose brings.