Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Excellent Signs

I don''t think I''ve ever seen a manager turn a non-existent defence into a solid unit in such a short space of time.

I know Klose''s return has a lot to do with it, but he''s also rapidly realised that you have to have good protection from midfield too.

He is definitely learning fast - but there''s no sense of panic. We still have enough creativity in the team to create opportunities, & we are not dependent on Nelson alone to score goals, as was demonstrated today. In fact all our midfielders are capable of scoring (& I fancy Stiepperman & Pinto to weigh in with a few goals each)

& I also believe our naturally more talented players will really shine as confidence builds. And there''s Pritchard to come!

There will be poor performances & losses. That''s football. But I really believe that Farke is the man to build something, a manager with nous enough to temper his idealism with practicality.

OK so I''m an incurable optimist. But it''s so much fun!

OTBC!

Great post, couldn''t agree more.

Sometimes it won''t be pretty and we will lose some along the way but I still think Farke is the man.

I think the defence is one thing which had improved but also the clean sheets have come when they are better protected and thats thanks to MrTettey returning to the defensive midfield position!

Agree it looks more promising!

It''ll be interesting to see how willing Farke is to continue with a game plan that seems to go against his desire to dominate possession. There seems to be an inverse relationship between possession and results for us this season.

Theres nothing to say this setup, particularly at home, can''t still be based on posession but understandably getting us good at the basics of defending that have been lacking for so long have to be prioritised. As confidence builds we will be able to further implement a style. Think it may take till next season to see it in full swing.

well Alex Neil when he first joined us did just that if you remember? he lost the plot by the end but don''t forget the miracles he worked for that first year in charge.

Good signs indeed. Just looking at our defence - it now seems to have some backbone and size with Zimmermann, Klose and Stiepermann - all big units and good technically.   Trybull is reliable and business like and Tettey does what Tettey does - and he looks as if he is enjoying his football again. I don''t know if we will always play with two defensive midfielders, but it certainly seems to help against the directness of a lot of these championship teams.

[quote user="king canary"]It''ll be interesting to see how willing Farke is to continue with a game plan that seems to go against his desire to dominate possession. There seems to be an inverse relationship between possession and results for us this season.[/quote]How often does it have to be repeated that Farke''s desire is not "to dominate possession". As his post-match comment yesterday made clear, his desire is to dominate the game, in possession and out of possession. There is no contradiction in having less possession but still dominating, as the last three games have shown. We dominated all three games against Brum, Burton and SU but had the greater possession only in one.

The man himself suggests otherwise...

"I like to have the ball – if I could choose I would have the ball for 90 minutes. I want to create chances and dominate games."

“To be successful you have to find a good balance between offence and defence, to work without the ball, but our main tactic is to work with the ball, to be in possession."

"Our main tactic is to work with the ball, to be in possession." (DF)
In other words,  having his team sitting back and playing on the counter is not the Farke way. Quite so, but would you say he sent his team out to do exactly that yesterday, or against Brum, or in any of the matches played? That''s what would be involved in departing from his avowed philosophy. 

It was you that said he didn''t desire to dominate possession, I was simply pointing out he does. I didn''t mention anything about counter attacking.

I think the attitude that arrived from the Regionalliga is not the same one Farke is operating with today.I think he was a bit naive in thinking that the humdrum English Championship would be undone by a technically superior side with little response, so we worried about only our game first and in theory, the rest just falls into place.Of course we, and he, know that this is not the case.Rather than starting with the flair and working backwards, Farke has realised that we have to stop conceding and stop losing in the first place. Add goals to the mix, and earn points. I wouldn''t be surprised if by the end of the season we are indeed a coherent passing outfit that dominates possession, which will surely mix in with our newfound steel to end up with the team we were all told we were getting.

Not yet.

I can''t get too excited just yet. Don''t get me wrong, I m as happy as the next man with yesterday''s result and even happier at the performance but my age says don''t get too carried away just yet.

On the other hand I couldn''t really see why it was going so wrong . DF''s history is good defence so maybe it''s just taking longer to get it right?

Farke may be new to the Championship but Webber certainly isn''t, so it doesn''t seem plausible to me to suggest that Farke has been labouring under any illusions. All I see happening is the Webber/Farke on-field re-modelling of Norwich City progressing more or less at the pace you would expect. Huddersfield finished 18th in the league in the season during which Wagner was appointed; I''d say we are on track to do rather better than that, possibly much better. 

well Alex Neil when he first joined us did just that if you remember? he lost the plot by the end but don''t forget the miracles he worked for that first year in charge.I''m not sure if he so much as ''lost the plot'' as had a number of malcontents in the squad who were not necessarily focussed on the club. That was pretty much stated when Farke joined - amd would explain the regularlychopping and changing of the team.What I have noticed is the way players now getting stuck in very early. Constantly ''hacking away'' to retrieve the bal not giving the opposition the time on the ball in the final third.Possession is not necessaril tapping it about amongstthemselves, but not simply hoofing theball out of defence, whereby it comes back almost as quick. There is a trade off though. Whilst the goals are not going in against us, they are not going in the other end so much. But we seem to have acquired the ability to not only stop the opposition from scoring, but having scoring chances. Bristol at home will give fans a good chance to see how much improvement has been made.