Sign in to follow this  
Mr Tea

Building a championship club ?

Ok, I''ll make my first real post slightly controversial.

Are the powers that be building a championship club that is self sustaining with out the planned return to the prem ?

Have they looked and said that at best we can only be a yoyo club so let''s try and build a club that will buy cheap, develop and sell on younger players and make our money that way ?

Yes, of course we needed to shift stock with the wage bill looking to push us over the edge next year so you could argue that it was 100% needed but maybe the sale of Murphy was a tad too much? A semi successful season this year could mean no prem but a lot of interest in Murphy, Madison and Pritchard. That''s many ££££ right there . We''ve bought many youngsters this year so maybe we as a club are looking at a business model based around those ?

I cannot see how the club are planning not to return to the PLI can see the club adjusting to the normal level of income - which one aspect is to develop players for further done the line as the mony to buy them ready is not within our budgetPlayers will move on up and down. That is the nature of the game... which also allows us to sign the likes of Maddison.We are where we are, which thankfully has a club ran with stability. Not one that is the money laundering plaything off some ''hinvestor''.

Being a "yoyo" club is an exciting experience as a fan, if we continue to achieve that with our resources we will be punching well above our weight and I will see that as success.

If we have to occasionally sell players to keep us solvent and build a stronger squad then fair enough.

It would be special to gain a promotion with a group of young players who have developed their game through our club.

If our defence keeps improving along the current trajectory, we''ll be in the Premium next season, no doubt at all.

Well I firmly believe that the model of self-financing will work.  Two scenarios - 1. What I would like to see if we do make it back into the PL soon is that we don''t go out and spend all the money, but to go with what we''ve got, perhaps buying one or two better players, give it a good go and save the money made from being in the PL to either boost a second season there or if we go down have plenty of money to challenge to come back up again.  A yo-yo mentality in other words.2. If we don''t get into the PL anytime soon, the emphasis will be on having a holistic approach where continuity of approach and ethos is such that the football stays greater than the sum of it''s parts enough to enable us to challenge the top of the table still - building success, not buying it. It can be done, of that I am certain.   Don''t underestimate the self-financing idea. What is more important - money or the club?  Money doesn''t guarantee success, it can help if it is used well, but as Villa and QPR are finding, to name just two, you can have money, but you can''t necessarily do well with it.  Villa will always be Villa - they are welcome to it.  Norwich will always be Norwich - and that is something to cherish, not throw away in search of someone with bottomless pockets hoping to buy success with his/her pocket money.

[quote user="Yellowfuture"]Being a "yoyo" club is an exciting experience as a fan, if we continue to achieve that with our resources we will be punching well above our weight and I will see that as success.

If we have to occasionally sell players to keep us solvent a
nd build a stronger squad then fair enough.

It would be special to gain a promotion with a group of young players who have developed their game through our club.[/quote]Or simply that the ''ladder'' of football will always be there.What contract do you think NUFC were able to offer Jacob ? PL football as well. So i don''t think it is so much us selling as them moving on.And I think we are now more than aware that we can find players than paying for the likes of VOO, RVW, Grabban.. etc who have heavy contracts,If we pick up, as I expect, I would venture to suggest we will have a far more exciting and interesting season than one of just holding on in the PL.

''What contract do you think NUFC were able to offer Jacob ? PL football as well. So i don''t think it is so much us selling as them moving on.''

Fair comment

If you try and do the Championship on the cheap you will struggle to stay in it like we found to our cost in 2008-09!

Obviously with the parachute payments about to finish, spending will have to be readjusted but its still possible to have a good go at getting up which is what we are trying to do!

Norwich fans should take comfort in that the vast majority of our best players over the last 20 years have either been home grown or relatively cheap buys while nearly all of our big money signings have been flops!

The club will only expand and grow if in the Premiership. Financially it is the be all and end all. The day the owners forget this, then that''ll be the day they should get out!