Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

New academy manager.

Our first strip was light blue and white like Huddersfield. I believe we had them as quarters rather than stripes though. Ricardo should be able to confirm as he must have seen them play at Newmarket Road. 😊

Formerly in charge of the academy Hudds are supposedly considering scrapping as it hasn''t produced a single first team regular for them. Hmm.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Formerly in charge of the academy Hudds are supposedly considering scrapping as it hasn''t produced a single first team regular for them. Hmm.[/quote]Good old Jim. Always look on the bright side........

Crafty,

I believe you are right when our original colours were blue and white. This was when our nickname was ''The Citizens'' or ''Cits''. However I believe the shirts were blue and white halves, not quarters.

I may be wrong of course!

Snake

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Formerly in charge of the academy Hudds are supposedly considering scrapping as it hasn''t produced a single first team regular for them. Hmm.[/quote]He was appointed Huddersfield Academy Manager in May 2016.Huddersfield only had a Cat 2 Academy, and have just confirmed they''re dropping down to Cat 4. Which means they can''t recruit any player under the age of 16.http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-set-overhaul-academy-13629038

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Formerly in charge of the academy Hudds are supposedly considering scrapping as it hasn''t produced a single first team regular for them. Hmm.[/quote]Don''t forget a couple of things Jim:1) They are in a much more competitive part of the country for talent than we are, with some pretty good sized clubs in competition with them.2) They certainly weren''t a particularly attractive option in recent years, had it not been for last season, most would have continued to see them as somewhat anonymous in football terms.3) They would likely have had MUCH larger financial restrictions than sides like us, as despite Hoyle''s personal wealth, they''ve never been a big spending club, either on wages or transfer fees, and again, you can draw in better talent when that''s not the case.

The irony here being that as income in the PL has soared so the realative cost of running a cat 1 academy has decreased. The £2m or so cost would have bought a decent Chanpionship player a few years back - it won''t now.As said above HUFC faced a number of loca competitors. However my thought it that their acadmy was neither one thing or the other. Bit like the early light cruisers which were deemed not strong enough to destroy smaller ships or fast enough to escape bigger ships.For our part we seem to be focussing on those late teens who are in the lower leagues and show promise. Maddison, who was derided when first signed.. A good academy will not only have the ability ti develop those and others but will be able to identify and monitor young players. At the moment we have a fair number of players out on loan. Playing at a competitive level that we cannot offer at their stage in development.I''m sure that Steve Weaver will bring much experience, and a few names that he has been tracking. And he proves that not evry thing about the backroom staff has to be German... for sure.