Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Revised predictions

So after a strange old start to the season. With some very low lights and some emerging high lights where do people now think the season will end? Once again we see that confidence is HUGE at this level.

I am still not entirely convinced we have the balance between solid defence and cutting attack to mount a play off push. So I am going to say 11th

Your thoughts?

I''ll tell you when I think it looks any better than mid table and a long stint in this division. As always I continue to live in hope rather than expectation.

Still really tough to call but definitely more confident than I was now that sorting the defense has clearly been given priority.

I''ll go for 9th

Stay free of injuries and keep our discipline, avoiding last season''s issues of silly sendings-off and suspensions, and we will make at least the play-offs.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]So after a strange old start to the season.[/quote]
Is it though? Feels just like the Championship to me.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]So after a strange old start to the season.[/quote]
The only strange thing about the start to the season has been the number of posters who apparently didn''t expect it to be much as it has been. A major overhaul of the squad, a completely new German coaching team, several players new to English football and the Championship, and a significant drop in average age and therefore experience; thinking about it, wouldn''t you expect exactly the curate''s egg start we''ve had?

Was about to post exactly that Westcoast.

Millwall concerned me I will admit but the rest of the defeats barely registered with me, I was expecting a settling in period and that''s what we got. The boo''ing in the stands and discontent on social media went way over my head. I normally understand it, I wanted Worthy, Grant, Roeder, Hoots, Adams and Neil out as much as anyone when they passed their sell by dates but some of the reactions at the start of this season really took the p155!

I still feel much as I did at the start of the season:
  1. We will definitely finish top half
  2. We will likely be one of the top performing teams in the division after Christmas.
  3. How long it takes us to get up to speed will determine whether we can challenge for promotion automatically (unlikely, but possible) or through the playoffs.
I still think we are likely to finish top 6 and have an outside chance of automatic promotion. We are only 6 points off the top and could conceivably win the majority of our remaining games. But... I think it''s more likely that we will struggle a bit over the next few weeks while we find the balance between attack and defence. Obviously the later it clicks the worse I think we will do.

Tough run of games coming up, so its too hard to say - although Saturday was a great result.

If we can stay somewhere between 8th-12th up til Christmas, I think we will kick on & finish in the top 6, based on Pritchard coming back

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]So after a strange old start to the season.[/quote]
The only strange thing about the start to the season has been the number of posters who apparently didn''t expect it to be much as it has been. A major overhaul of the squad, a completely new German coaching team, several players new to English football and the Championship, and a significant drop in average age and therefore experience; thinking about it, wouldn''t you expect exactly the curate''s egg start we''ve had?
[/quote]I think this and Horse Renoir''s post are pretty much spot on[Y]

One Swallow does not make a summer

Wait till we play a few decent teams to base the finishing position on.

Beat Bristol City and get a decent result at Middlesbrough F.C. and we will have a better idea

Sorry I meant to start a post to gauge people’s opinions of where we will finish given a roller coaster start to the season, but it seems to have become a dull competition for who can be the most smug clapper “told you so” type. So if that is the game I think westy is winning. Bravo! Well done.

I''d love to be confident but I just can''t. I''d also love Farke to prove me wrong and be the best coach we''ve had in years but don''t think he has the experience. I only ever want the best for the club so am hoping beyond hope for a top six finish at least,i can still dream.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Sorry I meant to start a post to gauge people’s opinions of where we will finish given a roller coaster start to the season, but it seems to have become a dull competition for who can be the most smug clapper “told you so” type. So if that is the game I think westy is winning. Bravo! Well done.[/quote]I hope you don''t design roller coasters for a living.We started ok, got worse and now slowly getting better. Hardly wild ups and downs.

Sheffield Utd was a good performance and result and an occasion for everyone to celebrate, but in retrospect, Sheff utd were without their main strikers and I was a little alarmed at the space their players were getting and how little we were able to keep the ball in the second half - so I''m not sure the tide has been turned completely.  More of the same kind of performances and results and we can say the level has been upped on a consistent basis, but the work is very much still in progress. So some inprovements now showing, but still going to be a big shout to get in the play offs this season.  Just think we should try and enjoy the process this season, watch us go full measure for cup games as well and see how things develop.  Promotion is not the main aim of the exercise imo - building a good football team is - and if promotion comes because of that then that is a bonus.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Sorry I meant to start a post to gauge people’s opinions of where we will finish given a roller coaster start to the season, but it seems to have become a dull competition for who can be the most smug clapper “told you so” type. So if that is the game I think westy is winning. Bravo! Well done.[/quote] [:D] I do like getting plaudits. 

So after a strange old start to the season. With some very low lights and some emerging high lights where do people now think the season will end? Once again we see that confidence is HUGE at this level.

I am still not entirely convinced we have the balance between solid defence and cutting attack to mount a play off push. So I am going to say 11th

Your thoughts?

Hillsborough I am certainThough it could be Wembley as beforeHillsborough in ''82, plenty of local ''froth''; then a defeat, a wait for the Leicester result...................yesssssssssssssss !followed by a mad drive down the A1 in glorious sunshine, and a few more on the way home

Some early similarities with worthys promotion season. Started poorly conceding loads before the international break only to return looking like a different side. Can we continue that run?

Still in the top half finish group but need to see how we do against the best teams in the league.

No doubt DCB will start a Revised, Revised Predictions thread in a few games time.

I''ll stick with being hopeful of a top six finish.

I don''t see a nailed-on Championship winner this season, there''s nobody who really stands out. Middlesbrough under Monk are probably the best of the bunch, don''t really understand why Wolves are so far clear as bookies'' favourites. I definitely fancy us to make the top six.

this time last year most people on here thought we was going to win the league

goes to show how wrong most fans can be about everything

so who knows but it interesting at least

[quote user="Paul101"]this time last year most people on here thought we was going to win the league goes to show how wrong most fans can be about everything so who knows but it interesting at least[/quote]

I think there was a broad mix of opinions last season, but a fair number of posters thought last season we had one of the 2-3 strongest squads in the division including me (and I still feel that way).  But the outcome showed how big a difference the manager makes (IMO).

I haven''t been surprised by the up and down start to the season, although I''m a little surprised on some aspects of what Farke has apparently had to learn about this league and our squad (i.e. what he''s only found out after the start of the season), but there you go.  I''m pleased to see that it looks like he''s a quick learner though.

I''m now more optimistic  than after I saw us play at Villa, and I think we''ll make the playoffs.

I don''t see it as ''happy clappers'' patting each other on the back. Just common sense. All the factors Westcoast identified should have been in fans minds before the season even kicked off. What the hell were you expecting? Even Lambert took 5-10 games to really get going in L1, alongside the countless other examples of a new regime needing time.

Not freaking out at those early results doesn''t make me a happy clapper. I''m not, I love a good moan and my football club is often an easy target. If we''re not performing in 6 months time I''ll be part of the moaning b45t4rd brigade.

You lot were in the wrong to get on the clubs back so freaking early. That reaction was getting dangerously close to Wolves fans in the early 2000''s territory level of delusion and entitlement.

Perhaps the problem is you lot not being able to see the bigger picture instead of criticizing people who can for being ''happy clappers''