Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

A smiling manager

Well here I am up early and a long morning stretches ahead before the afternoon action......and it has me thinking of football-related stuff less to do with tactics and the opposition or table positions, but rather about the psychology of the present set up. I hope I might be excused then in sharing some reflections?

Is it me or have we got the smiliest manager we have ever had? Hughton was serious, studied, cautious, respectable in his demeanour, Adams looked tightly-coiled, Neil was about straight talking, with an earnest deadly-serious face and strident points of view that hit you. I guess people will react differently to how they perceive the main bloke. Now, this Farke fella seems all together a new kind of manager, he appears relaxed so often, not to be easily put off, comfortable in his skin, yet someone for whom also you might not cross. I think of successful managers who are ruthless but then also have a lot of charm and I do see similarities.

I just wonder how much this kind of head coach might influence a team and conclude that it must be quite a good experience. He seems inclusive, caring (of fans too) and determined. You just wonder how, over a longer term, this kind of management might transfer to players? There is a little of the Ken Brown in Farke I reckon and I''m looking forward to seeing us build a bit of a new culture again at the club. A winning one for sure but also that goes far deeper than the short term.

Reflections over! Just wondered if anyone else has thought similarly!

Yeah, he''s a very likeable guy, similar to Klopp, and being a german speaker myself, I have no problems understanding him when he sticks the odd german word into his interviews.  How long he stays will depend on results, and so far so good...... but we must give him time.A major benefit is that his knowledge and experience is allowing us to tap into the german market for cheap effective talent. .

I would consider this demeanour to be a positive quality in a leader. Firstly it radiates confidence and positivity. Secondly the dour miserable and somewhat negative or reserved opposite has players wondering how they can please their manager. This creates an unnecessary and confusing environment for players. Thirdly to quote a little Eastern Mysticism courtesy of the I Ching "when joyously led people forget their burdens".