Sign in to follow this  
he

Josh Murphy

Is it time to try Josh Murphy as a striker? Just try it out as Cameron Jerome isn''t delivering the goods. Jerome seems out if form. Then why not give Murphy a try as a striker. Can''t see him being a clinical striker, but he can get a lot of chances with his pace, and maybe get som penalties.

I also want Tettey back in the team. Tettey alongside Trybull.

" maybe get some penalties"

He''ll have to improve his dive for that.😮

So disappointing to seem him make a trademark run across the box but fail to get a shot off.

Not himself today.

Not the answer to our striker problem imo.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]Nah, Josh Murphy is inconsistent but still our best option out wide.Think we''ll get Tettey, Reed and Trybull for Boro. Josh and hopefully Wildschut on the wings. [/quote]Agree with this. Same back four, the midfield five you mentioned, and Jerome. A game for pace, strength and steel, not for Wes and Maddison. Vrancic is a good technician but we need to win the midfield battle to have any chance of winning on Tuesday.

It’s hard for Jerome to deliver when you have very little attacking intent though! I’ve seen old dears with Zimmer frames move faster than we get the ball forward!

Josh did play up front for last 15/20 and looked lost until replaced by Steipermann a more robust presence with 5 mins to go. Jerome better at right wing than up front.

Both Josh Murphy and Vrančić are good players but both need to add some aggresion to their play to step up to the next level

Josh struggled when pushed up front with Jerome, so I wouldn''t expect Farke to play him as a striker on his own any time soon.

Not his best game today. But most of our attacking players looked isolated, so he wasn''t alone. Playing two holding midfielders at home just leaves us too short of numbers in the attacking third.

Maybe we should play Russell Martin there! always looked handy in front of goal and he''s clearly no use at the back any more!

My local side Harrogate town currently have the top scorer in the top 6 tiers in 2017 (Simon Ainge) who spent his whole career as a defender until Harrogate had an injury crisis and he got shoved up top. He''s been banging them in for the last year now!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Josh was, not up to it at Sheffield nor was he today.[/quote]
I''m with Tilly on this - been poor last two league games.
Wondering if maybe he needs a rest - not that we''re blessed with options, but Yanic and Watkins could be worth a go.

Josh is not a striker as we would know.His goal scoring always is after runing with the ball before a good shot. That is not available playing in the middle up front.No one really looked like they were going to score today. Even BC kept shooting wide/over the bar.We are not attacking in numbers. Neither wide player had many (or any) options when getting forward. There was an odd tactic also today with players not only getting down to the goal line but then trying to force their way along the line - very bizarre.An awful lot of back passes as well today. Avoiding hitting the ball sideways I suppose.Both Murphy and Jerome looked ''off form'' again today - and there seems little cohesion or understanding between the players at the moment.Hopefully that will come as we go through the games.

The nature of wingers is that sometimes they frustrate. By and large he has stepped up well this season but does need to add composure to his game. We would notice his absence if injured or sold

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Josh was, not up to it at Sheffield nor was he today.[/quote]
I''m with Tilly on this - been poor last two league games.
Wondering if maybe he needs a rest - not that we''re blessed with options, but Yanic and Watkins could be worth a go.
[/quote]

I''ve been saying Yanic and Watkins on the wings for the last few weeks now... offers better balance imo.

Reed and Trybull too, which pleasing Farke went for yesterday.

Trybull Reed

Yanic Hoolahan Watkins

Oliveria

For me, this is our strongest midfield and attack. Murphy will start plenty, but can also offer a lot from the bench. I said it about Jacob too, both great players but they can go missing and their decision making can break down good team play. But when it does come off it''s usually very good. But that unpredictable nature is what causes imbalance to the team imo.

Josh not yet showing that he has the ability to get past men often enough - he is often easily tackled when trying to run past defenders.  Give him a bit of space and his pace makes him dangerous, but then if he gets in he needs to deliver something like a shot on target or a decent cross. On balance, he doesn''t offer enough to be a starter atm and needs to be used as a sub coming on late to have a go at tired defenders, at least until he improves other aspects of his game.

[quote user="hogesar"]I didnt think Reed offered as much as Tettey who I suspect will be back in on Tuesday[/quote]
Agree with that. Not been impressed with Reed so far except for the game he scored when he also played well (QPR?). Tettey looks a totally different player this year with Trybull helping him do the dirty work, allows him to be more box-to-box which he seems to be relishing.

I think with Reed, he isn''t as dynamic as Tettey when carrying the ball. I think he''s a better passer and his positioning is really good though.

Ideally I think you''d want one of Trybull and Reed partnering Tettey as I think Reed and Trybull are too similar.