Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Final element to correct

It surely has to be finishing. We had so many good chances yestrerday, but apart from the one that hit the post, and really should have gone in, our shooting was very disappointing.

As the Bristol defence was well organised, most of our chances were not in good situations, but we are not going to score if shots are not directed at the goal.

The absence of Oliveira meant the absence of one scorer who gets most on target, but even he has a ratio no better than perhaps one in three being on target. I hate to think what it is for Josh Murphy and Jerome.

Against better teams we shall struggle to score many, and it takes only a simple error at our end for opponents to score. We were lucky against Bristol, in that we kept them generally at distance. In this last game they probably had fewer chances but actually managed more shots on goal eventually, even if they were from distance.

Farke has been good so far in identifying and solving problems. I hope that shooting will be his next success, especially as our new commitment to six men in defence, with four and two shielding them, means that we shall probably create fewer chances.

I am concerned by the lack of scoring we have done so far after having one of the highest goals scored last season and the fact you need to be high scoring to get to the top 6 of the table.

Shows how much we are missing Oliveira and Pritchard who both know where the goal is.

Out of all the summer exits, it''s probably where we miss howson a bit as well who could score a few.

[quote user="Salopian"]It surely has to be finishing. We had so many good chances yestrerday, but apart from the one that hit the post, and really should have gone in, our shooting was very disappointing.

As the Bristol defence was well organised, most of our chances were not in good situations, but we are not going to score if shots are not directed at the goal.

The absence of Oliveira meant the absence of one scorer who gets most on target, but even he has a ratio no better than perhaps one in three being on target. I hate to think what it is for Josh Murphy and Jerome.

Against better teams we shall struggle to score many, and it takes only a simple error at our end for opponents to score. We were lucky against Bristol, in that we kept them generally at distance. In this last game they probably had fewer chances but actually managed more shots on goal eventually, even if they were from distance.

Farke has been good so far in identifying and solving problems. I hope that shooting will be his next success, especially as our new commitment to six men in defence, with four and two shielding them, means that we shall probably create fewer chances.[/quote]

"Perhaps" oh dear...

With the Bristol City goalkeeper spending most of his time on the edge or outside his box I felt that someone like Josh would try lobbing him from our own half but no one even thought of it.