Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

With Watkins starting, where was....

Abrahams or Fonkeu on the bench?

Whilst they may well be very young and raw, both players played in senior football last season with success of scoring albeit lower divisions/standards.

What message does it give them that we have three ''senior'' strikers on the books if you add Watkins to that and neither youngster could make the bench when we are down to two available and they''re both starting? Had Wildschut started and Watkins on the bench, then I''d understand they wouldn''t be needed.

Yesterday was an ideal opportunity to reward either player with a place on the bench and even game time with the way the game went in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Isnt Abrahams out on loan? Perhaps Farke doesnt want to destroy the confidence of younger players when they are not ready by heaping too much pressure on them too early in their careers with a step too far too soon?

I think abrahams is back with us as the playing for Orient and our U23''s didn''t work outIt is easy to say in hindsight but you cannot know which way the game is going so you have to cover for probabilities.I''m sure the coaching staff will know when players are ready - as they did with the Murphys and now Maddison

Would like to see one of them on the bench tomorrow. We have had a few bits of success with ''unknown'' players getting us vital wins over the years - Oli Johnson, Kei Kamara etc

Just 10minutes when Jerome has run himself into the ground. On Saturday they could have made that bit of difference

It is a fair point, if Jerome had got injured Watkins would have been our only recognised striker - so had something happened to him too we would have had no-one to bring off the bench. I would assume had this happened then Murphy would have been out top option.

I guess, looking at the bench, to bring a youth player in you''d have to drop one of Maddison or Wes off the bench, with Husband and Wildschut being regular subs for the wings and Tettey in good form. The other two spots are taken by required subs in Hanley and McGovern. That would have been harsh and I guess was probably one of the reasons why this didn''t happen. Plus, we don''t know how "ready" these youth players are

I was slightly confused by our line up. 3 creative players on the bench for a home game - Wes, Yanic & Maddison.

I wonder if Farke sets a team up depending on the opposition rather than making them play according to our strengths. I''d have played Yanic in place of Watkins - especially as he''s currently our only other centre forward option.

I''m also struggling to see what others are seeing in Vrancic. There''s quality there, but I feel he lacks energy and doesn''t have enough pace to hurt teams when we counter attack.

Felt sorry for Wildschut. Played and scored against Sheff Utd but then dropped for Bristol City?

Once again we were very narrow on the right, all the play went through the middle and was easily snuffed out.

Not sure if Abrahams can play in the first team. He was on loan at Orient at end of window & although loan was then cancelled & he can play for U23s l don''t know if that extends to first team football.