Sign in to follow this  
Barking Mad Barclay Boy

josh murphy is moulding into redmond

[quote user="GJP"]My criticism of Josh would be that he is a bit prone to giving up too easily.

But beating defenders and putting quality into the box is harder than many realise.[/quote]
This was exactly my observation on Saturday. Josh''s head drops when things go wrong. On Saturday he put a couple of good balls across the six yard box but nobody had gambled so they went to waste. Like after he missed that chance against Burton his head dropped and he was visibly frustrated. Jacob was more mentally resilient. 

Funny how in days gone by many of the fan faves were wingers. The likes of Darren Eadie, Ruel Fox, Dale Gordon, Mark Barham and Dave Bennett who used to just glide past people. Maybe like instant managerial fixes, constant perfection is now expected. Were any of those guys from the past any better?

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Funny how in days gone by many of the fan faves were wingers. The likes of Darren Eadie, Ruel Fox, Dale Gordon, Mark Barham and Dave Bennett who used to just glide past people. Maybe like instant managerial fixes, constant perfection is now expected. Were any of those guys from the past any better?[/quote]

In a word, no. But wingers are exciting and memorable because when they do things right it makes things happen.

Most of the criticism of wingers is down to the standard fan frustration that we all know they are capable of much more but can''t always deliver it. We almost think they must not be trying if they can''t do it all the time. That''s why Hucks was so good because he did deliver most of the time and he made it obvious he was trying.

Josh looks like he couldn''t give a monkeys most of the time - he needs some coaching in how to interact with the crowd, which actually Redmond was very good at.

Fans will always scapegoat players who don''t look like they care enough.

Nobody needs coaching on how to ''interact with the crowd.'' I truly couldn''t give a shit how someone looks if they are delivering the goods.

I''ve also never thought Josh looks like he doesn''t care. Certainly against Brentford he was frustrated with himself when he missed a chance and you could tell how happy he was to score. What more do you want?

Agree KC - you can see how disappointed he is when something doesn''t go his way. Unfortunately it happened a couple of times v Bristol, when he either held onto the ball too long or was snuffed out by two or three defenders.

If he can learn to see players around him, who may sometimes be in better positions to score, he''ll become a real threat for us.

[quote user="Woodman"]Agree KC - you can see how disappointed he is when something doesn''t go his way. Unfortunately it happened a couple of times v Bristol, when he either held onto the ball too long or was snuffed out by two or three defenders. If he can learn to see players around him, who may sometimes be in better positions to score, he''ll become a real threat for us.[/quote]

Which does very much sound like Redmond !

I think it''s a combination of learning awareness of players around him (difficult always for wing players when they''re running with the ball) and mental resilience so that he keeps plugging away even after he''s been closed down or physically overpowered a few times.  I felt against Sheff U, Josh created a few good openings early on, but later in the game he''d been outmuscled a few times and he seemed to lost heart.  Jacob was actually quite inconsistent too but did have more resilience IMO.  Josh I think has more natural ability so if he can improve these points, he has the potential to be better than either Jacob or Redmond.

I have to say that wingers have always been among my favourite players, is it because of the sheer excitement you get when they beat a few defenders?  I still remember Hucks'' performance for us in many games but one that sticks in my mind is the 4-4 draw at Rotherham.  And I always loved the way that Eadie seemed to move faster than physically possible when he had the ball and got into gear.  I still remember that time when the other keeper came out to clear and Eadie was able to lob him from the half way line.

There is definitely something exciting about a quick player carrying the ball forward with the defence either backing away or diving into a tackle. It lifts the crowd and gets you on the edge of your seat.

Josh''s surge forward in the first half on Saturday was a great example - and sadly also one of choosing the wrong pass which ended up with the chance going begging.

We''ve had so many wingers, I can just about go back to Foggo, but mainly remember Neighbour, Gordon, Donowa, Eadie, Huckerby & Redmond. All had pace to burn but often infuriated with the lack of a final pass or end product.

[quote user="Woodman"]There is definitely something exciting about a quick player carrying the ball forward with the defence either backing away or diving into a tackle. It lifts the crowd and gets you on the edge of your seat.

Josh''s surge forward in the first half on Saturday was a great example - and sadly also one of choosing the wrong pass which ended up with the chance going begging.

We''ve had so many wingers, I can just about go back to Foggo, but mainly remember Neighbour, Gordon, Donowa, Eadie, Huckerby & Redmond. All had pace to burn but often infuriated with the lack of a final pass or end product.[/quote]

Let us also remember the late great Trevor Hockey on the wing, who helped to keep us up in ''73.