Sign in to follow this  
Barking Mad Barclay Boy

josh murphy is moulding into redmond

Yes he didn''t have a great game yesterday but I''ve mentioned before how our fans seem to have a baffling attitude to wingers.

Redmond was an excellent player, easily our most dangerous attacker and we clearly missed him when he left. Josh is similarly one of the most dangerous attackers we have yet our fans seem to think he should be beating two or three players every time and if he''s not he has ''no end product.'' Yet despite this lack of end product he''s created the 4th most chances in our squad this season and had 4 goals and 5 assists last season despite starting less than 10 games.

[quote user="Barking Mad Barclay Boy"]husband isnt one of our own so others would soon realise he isnt good. the yellow and green tinted glasses would be off.[/quote]certainly not an accessory you''ve ever been burdened withnor any other item of those colours I shouldn''t wonder

Much too hard on Josh this. Certainly he''s having a frustrating spell but way too early to start talking about writing him off.

Virtually every player has spells of poor form, forward players particularly, but there is every chance he will be better for it. Look how often Wes has a poor game, basically because his job is to try to make things happen. Sometimes it doesn''t work and he can be frustrating. I see Josh in a similar way. Bit more patience please!

Josh had an off day. But he still offers a genuine threat on the left flank, which pushes the opposition back. Without him the side lacks pace. Nevertheless, Josh does need to improve his final ball and avoid losing possession so often.

[quote user="king canary"]Yes he didn''t have a great game yesterday but I''ve mentioned before how our fans seem to have a baffling attitude to wingers.

Redmond was an excellent player, easily our most dangerous attacker and we clearly missed him when he left. Josh is similarly one of the most dangerous attackers we have yet our fans seem to think he should be beating two or three players every time and if he''s not he has ''no end product.'' Yet despite this lack of end product he''s created the 4th most chances in our squad this season and had 4 goals and 5 assists last season despite starting less than 10 games.[/quote]
I can''t agree with this enough. This season it''s Josh not being a good enough winger. Last season Jacob wasn''t good enough, despite 12 goals and 8 assists in his first ever season at Championship level. The season before, Redmond wasn''t good enough despite scoring and assisting and being our biggest attacking threat and getting signed by a top half premier league team and featuring regularly for them.
I''m not sure where people''s concepts of wingers come from - they''ll always drift in and out of games even if they''re experienced players. They''ll always lose the ball every now and again. If a winger could beat any fullback on repeat every single time and deliver into the box we''d have games with 20 goals in each week.

One thing I did notice is how many times did Murphy slow his run just so he could try and take his man on?

Twice early on we lost the ball because Murphy decided he wanted to nutmeg the player instead of just trying to beat him for pace - this is something Redmond was criticized fora lot as well

It''s because change of pace is important for wingers. You don''t just run full pelt as that is difficult with the ball at your feet. Players slow it down, get the full back facing up then accelerate to create some space.

Hucks mentions that in his book KC. One of his tactics was to slow down to allow the defender to catch him, come almost to a stop and then burst away again because he knew he could beat him for pace over the first ten yards.

@Hairy

Yep- it is the quick burst that can do for defenders. It is extremely difficult to run full pelt for 40/50 yards with the ball under control and not get caught by a defender.

Also, without meaning to sound negative, it amuses me to see people complain about a lack of end product from Josh when Wildschut is the dictionary definition of the same issue.

Neither lack end product as far as championship wingers are concerned. Josh is more unlucky in that he has in previous games put excellent balls in and neither Jerome, Oliviera or any midfield runners have been gambling on those balls ending up in the 6 yard box.

Would have liked to see Josh switch wings on Saturday which he has done to good effect. As everyone including Ivo and the ineffective Watkins were skinning the Bristol LB with ease. RB looked more solid Josh in his pocket almost.

My criticism of Josh would be that he is a bit prone to giving up too easily.

But beating defenders and putting quality into the box is harder than many realise.

Both those criticising Josh and those defending him neglect to mention that modern wing play is very different compared to the days when winger v fullback was a standard feature of most games. The principal  reason for the change is the revolution in how teams defend, the result of which is that the danger represented by balls crossed from wide is much reduced. Furthermore, defending as a team means fewer genuine one-on-one confrontations are allowed to develop, and any such is nowadays seen as a serious defensive failure (a lesson which IMO accounts in large measure for the great improvement in our own defending since the international break). Huck''s tactic of slowing down, confronting a static defender, then accelerating past him and leaving him for dead would nowadays often mean losing the ball to the second, or even third, covering defender.
Breaking the defensive line depends rather on quick inter-passing and/or accurate balls in behind, rather than old-style wing-wizard trickery allied to pace. It''s that sort of interplay and awareness that I think Josh needs to improve in his game.

The problem with many of these young wingers is that they have bags of natural pace and ability but find it difficult to be good team players and lack composure when it comes to producing the "final ball"!!! Yes, I know, easier said than done.

Doesn''t seem much worse than any other standard winger in this league. Some of his decision making is poor but not too many players can glide past oppositon as easy as he does. Strong and quick.

@Hoegsar

Agree about his running, he can be a real momentum shifter.

But because it is a Monday night and I''m bored I took a look at the crossing stats from Whoscored.

Apparently in the whole of last season Wildschut had 5 accurate crosses and 75 inaccurate ones (this is for both us and Wigan).

In comparison Robbie Brady has 23 accurate against 71 inaccurate, Jacob Murphy had 27 accurate against 114 inaccurate and even Mitchell Dijks had 5 accurate crosses vs 36 inaccurate in his half a season here.

So looking at that I''m sticking with my opinion that his crossing his awful.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Both those criticising Josh and those defending him neglect to mention that modern wing play is very different compared to the days when winger v fullback was a standard feature of most games. The principal  reason for the change is the revolution in how teams defend, the result of which is that the danger represented by balls crossed from wide is much reduced. Furthermore, defending as a team means fewer genuine one-on-one confrontations are allowed to develop, and any such is nowadays seen as a serious defensive failure (a lesson which IMO accounts in large measure for the great improvement in our own defending since the international break). Huck''s tactic of slowing down, confronting a static defender, then accelerating past him and leaving him for dead would nowadays often mean losing the ball to the second, or even third, covering defender.
Breaking the defensive line depends rather on quick inter-passing and/or accurate balls in behind, rather than old-style wing-wizard trickery allied to pace. It''s that sort of interplay and awareness that I think Josh needs to improve in his game.
[/quote]

A lot of wisdom in this post