Sign in to follow this  
Ray

The next big test?

At last we are defending as a team.

The next big test will be how we handle going one nil down, if we ever do of course.

Hopefully, should this unlikely event occur Farke has a cunning plan.

OK no response so far, so I''ll add a question, if we ever do go one nil down, how would you handle it given our current playing style?

[quote user="Ray"]OK no response so far, so I''ll add a question, if we ever do go one nil down, how would you handle it given our current playing style?[/quote]Depends on when the goal is conceded. Unless it''s conceded very late on, no change at all, i.e. make sure we don''t concede again, and keep patiently looking for the equaliser and more.

We have shut up shop but it is limiting us at the other end- I guess if we were down we would need to take on midfielder away and stick two up front?

But we do seem to be a few attackers short of solid options....next window we need a good striker for the system we play. Maybe two.

It is all about points on the board.

What this run of points and clean sheets will be doing is building confidence and with that resilience. They are better placed now to respond to going a goal down than they were before villa millwall.

As under Neil, scoring first gives us a big advantage; if the squad can respond to the times that doesnt happen then we have reason to be optimistic for the season.

In the meantime I am enjoying the run we are on without setting another reason to proclaim a fail.

Play just trybull as defensive midfielder in home games. Allowing us to play an additional creative midfielder. However this won''t work when playing with wingers such as Murphy as you need to have everyone tracking back when we have just the one defensive mid cover. Playing steiperman and wildschut out wide and capable of tracking back for instance would enable us to play two of vrancic/madisson/hoolahan/Pritchard (when fit) in front of trybull.

Next big test. 6 points from our next two games against Hull(high scoring, leaky defense) and Reading(Tighter setup) who are both having a poor run of form.

Boro swapped a midfielder with an attacker last night and they did press us second part of the second half.

But they didn''t really threaten. I think they had a style and pattern and didn''t really show any great urgency to get the goal back.

I do fear that it could be a similar problem for us should it happen. We don''t really send anybody past the last man when Cam is playing and that makes him look poor at times. We don''t need to with Olly so much and rely more on width when he is playing on his own.

If you listen to Monk''s after-match interview, he bemoans the fact that they have conceded first quite regularly this season, but in previous games have been able to get themselves back level and even go on to win the game. But -- quote -- "you can''t expect to do that every time". That doesn''t square with the suggestion that they have a "style and pattern" that precludes recovering from going behind. Nor do I see how anyone watching on Tuesday night could say ''Boro "didn''t show any great urgency to get the goal back". As when Burton frustrated us at Carrow Road, the reason ''Boro didn''t score was a combination of excellent defending and, in the case of Assombalonga''s header, less than clinical finishing.