Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

What is wrong with Shackle?

Earlier on the Manager hinted that Shacks might have not made a fitness recovery from mumps. Shackle is certainly not the assured player he was last season.

There are persistent rumours, via contacts at the club, that he has been playing through a back injury. This could explain why he has not been as good this season as last, and why he was taken off at half-time.

I find it hard to believe that Worthington continues to believe that he has no problem with Fleming, who in most peoples'' opinion is not playing well and is probably causing problems for the other defenders, especially Shackle.

Totally agree, Shackell has spent most of this season covering up for the mistakes Fleming has made.

I think a partnership of Davenport and Shackell may be exactly what Shacks needs.  It will give him the confidence to play his own game rather than having to cover for someone else.

I still believe that if we can win on Sunday the confidence will come flooding back through the side and we will go on a good run.  Look back to 2003/2004 it wasn''t until we went top at Portaloo Road that we really took over the league.

Also this time last year Sunderlan only had 5 points (ish).

Fingers crossed we do get that win on Sunday.

Totally agree, Shackell has spent most of this season covering up for the mistakes Fleming has made.

I think a partnership of Davenport and Shackell may be exactly what Shacks needs.  It will give him the confidence to play his own game rather than having to cover for someone else.

I still believe that if we can win on Sunday the confidence will come flooding back through the side and we will go on a good run.  Look back to 2003/2004 it wasn''t until we went top at Portaloo Road that we really took over the league.

Also this time last year Sunderland only had 5 points (ish).

Also this time last year Sunderland only had 5 points (ish).

has had few problems with back,also nose nearly broken twice in two games,changes in left back Charlton, flem keeps moving him to take goal kicks and the big forwards just watch the last 4 games how many times he has to play on the right,surely if a defender is on the pitch he should keep to his position not make up for others lack of height and pace.So with all these pressures on the Shackell then he needs support from partners which never seems to happen when watching the games.I have watched the team train at colney and there seems to be a club for flem Charlton etc and the young ones left to get on with it without support from the management which I think is very poor.

We have a chance now to build around to very promising CB with davenport and Shackell but we all know the answers to that one.WE NEED EXSPERIENCE  were has that got us.

Over exposure to bad defending techniques copied from his partner and captain while trying to cover for his mistakes too - no wonder his confidence is low.

OTBC 

agree with all thats been said.. covering for "grandad flem" is having an effecton shacks own game as he is out of position for attacks due to covering flemmo all the time.. same with Drury.. getting sucked in the middle to cover the old man and leaving the winger with free reign

jas

Flemmo is captain and golden boy, therefore, in Worthys eyes, he is undroppable.

Look at Worthingtons Record in the past. When we first signed Francis he''d be dropped after 1 poor game, but the likes of Holt would continue to play week in week out regardless of poor performances. The same can be said about McVeigh, He had a good game against Plymouth and probably pushed Saffers for the man of the match award only to find himself on the bench on Tuesday.

Confidence for a player will hit rock bottom. Knowing that regardless what he does he will be replaced when a "golden boy" becomes selectable.

This means that players get a "cant be bothered" attitude, lose the respect for their manager and dont give 100% for the team knowing that they arent going to play again for weeks even if the "golden child" plays badly on a consistent Basis. I thought if a player did well then they should keep their place in the side as a reward for their efforts! Now im not a football manager, but Worthington is, yet he thinks that not rewarding a player is the way to go... so he must be right

Also, Worthys reluctance to use Youth is going to back fire, its ok getting a striker in on Loan but how does that make the likes of Henderson and Jarvis feel knowing they are surplus to requirments when we all know what they can do? Jarvis scares the life out of defenders, is fast, strong and capable of scoring from anywhere yet Worthy gets someone who hasnt scored in over 12 months for his club, and spends all his time injured, on loan!! Ludicrous!

jas

Jas,  I agree that youth should be given a go.  My only thought about what you said is that at present Jarvis has only just recovered from injury so is unlikely to be match fit.  If he was then put in the first team he would be unlikely to perform at his full potential the crowd would then soon get on his back.  I think Jarvis certainly has the potential and deserves a chance, however he needs to be 100% fit. 

With regards to Henderson, is this the same player who got booed by so called city fans last time he was in the team???  its a bit ironic that they now want him in the team.

The player I do feel should be given a chance is WLY, he plays, sets up a goal, gives a good all round performance then gets dropped.  How must he feel??

The problem with Shackell is that he has a manager who prefers the old and bold, unless you happen to be from a Premiership club.  Marney regularly plays, Lisbie looks to keep his place, Davenport comes straight in. 

I would like to ask our manager one question and that is if he could have taken any one of ten players off on Tuesday, why didn''t he take Fleming off ?

I will be completely gobsmacked if we ever see the pairing of Shackell and Davenport. 

Finally, to all parents who are thinking of sending their youngsters to our academy, you need to be aware that with the current management it is likely to be several years before they get a sniff of the first team, irrespective of how good they are.

I cant help but feel that Shack won''t be playing again for City for quite some time,

It looks as if Davenport is an instant hit, he is here for another three months. (at least ?&nbsp

Fleming is cemented in Worthy''s starting line up it seems, which bars Shacks re-emergence from yet another long spell in the wilderness.

Probably the same can be said for WLY who''s confidence must be rock bottom now and will probably have an "attitude" that Worthy won''t like plus the fact that Hucks will be available.

Well it is quite obvious that either Worthington or I have lost the plot after reading in todays EDP that Davenport has got more experience than Shackell (that can''t be argued but under Worthington Shackell will not get that experience). If experience is the deciding factor lets cast our mind back to last season and ask who was the most experienced player at Carrow Road and I would suggest it was Helveg with ten years in Series A but what happened to him after three games left to rot in the reserves until late in the season. Yes he made one or two wayward passes but had he been put in midfield and made catain perhaps his experience would have kept us in the Premier league.

Excuses are now running out work ethic has been mentioned but when was the last time a City side played throughout the ninety minutes other than running around like headless chickens. Experience is the new in word which means who is guaranteed his place yes Fleming.

Please Mr W try the following words application from minute 1 to final whistle, dedication to the cause of winning every game and competing for every single ball.

just to point out im a Hendo fan and always have been... i have never booed him... sadly his confidence takes a bashing because certain fans MUST have someone to criticise... and a fast, skillfull player with a dangerous cross who gets stuck in, gets that flack

jas

[quote]if shackells feet dropped off he would still be better than fleming[/quote]

Just a quick question Northern - how many live games have you seen this season? 

[quote]Just a quick question Northern - how many live games have you seen this season?[/quote]

Whats that got to do with it?  Northerns opinion is that shacks is better than flem. (although it could be a sarcastic dig that fans would chose shack over flem even if shacks couldnt move!)

I have seen the majority of the games, seen or heard commentary on them all as well as a significant majority of last seasons games.  Flem was and continues to be the most underprforming central defender seen over the last 12 months and its amazing that he has not been rested - it is the last point that is key - worthy has had options but not used them.

OTBC 

[quote]Whats that got to do with it? Northerns opinion is that shacks is better than flem. (although it could be a sarcastic dig that fans would chose shack over flem even if shacks couldnt move!) I have s...[/quote]

It''s got a lot to do with it.  I am fed up with people who do not watch games, and therefore rely on second hand news, radio or newspaper reports, slagging off players who have been very loyal to the club. 

Flemmo has had a good start to the season compared to most of our players - I know, I have been to the games and have seen it for myself.

Find another bandwagon to jump on.