Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Josh omission

Couple of tweets from PD after the game:

V interesting sign off from #ncfc DF to my q re: Josh absence: ''Like I said when I have 2 act 2 keep young players feet on ground I will. I do not want to say any more on that topic ''

Interesting, if Josh has got a bit ahead of himself he needs reining in, but keeping it in-house is good from DF.

He wasn''t great on Saturday, probably just a reality check to keep his head in the right place. Think the changes tonight were good for the team

Obviously the right choice as we won the match. Josh is clearly a very talented guy and there are plenty of matches to be played. We may even see him back at Reading alongside Oliviera, which could be tempting, however I thought Wildschut and Watkins played well today. Though I think Wildschut edged it on performance levels.

Wildschut certainly put a shift in tonight but he seemed to just run straight into Boro players at times where Josh would have the ability to take them on and beat them.

He''s still a kid so he''s bound to blow hot and cold. He was our best attacking player versus Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and had a great game in the cup as well so he''s not exactly out of form. He certainly needed a rest though as he looked ring rusty at the weekend. Hopefully he''ll be back in the fold. Despite tonight, I still think we are a better side with Josh in.

He is. This is his breakthrough season. He''s never been a regular at this level so there''s going to be times where he blows hot and cold while he hones his skills.

He''s fairly inexperienced at this level of football.

And maybe that''s reflective of his level of ability and application.

But he''s not a kid.

Josh frustrates the absolute hell out of me. I''ve only seen him in the league at home and his form there seems to be one good game in 5. It was obvious he needed to be dropped last night after his very poor performance at the weekend. Maybe he can shine more against lesser opposition when playing bottom of the table teams as opposed to a tough Boro team.

Good management! Josh is an important part of our side and he will come good! I thought Yannic did well yesterday and so did Watkins.

I prefer Josh to Watkins too, but the manager clearly wanted to send out a signal and I am fairly sure Josh will feature against Reading.

He will have a point to prove and that makes me more optimistic !

Josh was superb for a few games, unfortunately those were games where Norwich as a team didn''t perform well so they went generally unnoticed.

I wonder if his comments at the presser the other week annoyed Farke, Josh came across a little arrogant and had that weird backhanded compliment to Trybull about him ''not looking like a footballer''.

If he was just being rested he would have been on the bench and not out of the 16.

At 22 Josh is still a ''kid'' and it isn''t until players reach 24/25 you would expect them to have smoothed off the edges with consistency and application (obviously some get to that point sooner than others, but you''d still give Josh time to sort that side of his game out).

He''ll still play a big part of this season, but just needs to get focused again.

" when I feel it is necessary to keep feet on the ground I will act"

That doesn''t sound like needing a rest, or blowing hot and cold, that sounds much more like an attitude problem which is being managed in exactly the right way.

Maybe there should be a restraining order to prevent further trips to Newcastle.

[quote user="Van wink"]" when I feel it is necessary to keep feet on the ground I will act"

That doesn''t sound like needing a rest, or blowing hot and cold, that sounds much more like an attitude problem which is being managed in exactly the right way.[/quote]

I agree. What I saw in Josh''s play at Sheff Utd was a player who is too wound up in himself and not fully focussed on the team. Persistently giving the ball away and looking a bit lost.  The run he made through the middle against Bristol was breathtaking, but he was so focussed on himself that when he realised he needed to pass the ball, he wasn''t able to do it. It wasn''t just a poor pass - it was symptomatic of the way he was thinking.  No player should be so self-focussed that they are not ready mentally to bring others in to the game. That was my main criticism of Snodgrass and against Sheff and Bristol, Josh was not helping the team enough. He is not selfish in the way Snodgrass (imo) was, he has a great desire to do well for the team, but the result is the same - a player who isn''t contributing enough to the team effort.

Result is the same?! Snodgrass didn''t contribute to the team effort for us then, with more goals and assists than anyone else?
Actually, no, scrap it. I''m done.

i think his brother leaving has had a effect on him in some way which is understandable , you think they lived together trained together went out together i am sure jacob has told him what he is earning etc sure to unsettle him a little he will come good again

Controversial.. but I think both Murphy''s are overrated.

Huge talents in some respects, yes, but their both hindered by the bad aspects of their game. Which ultimately will hold them back.

Jacob is hardly pulling up trees at Newcastle and has so far been very much bit part. As many point out, both players are not young anymore. I think Newcastle saw the best bits of Jacob, but the not so good bits are often hard to see unless you watch the Murphy''s often. I wouldn''t be surprised if Rafa didn''t rate him as highly now as when he signed him.

I don''t think either Murphy will ever be a regular for a Premiership side. Championship is their level. Still time to improve, but its fast running out.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel) wrote the following post at 27/09/2017 10:49 AM:

"Controversial.. but I think both Murphy''s are overrated.

Huge talents in some respects, yes, but their both hindered by the bad aspects of their game. Which ultimately will hold them back."

Who overrates them Lincoln? If it''s Newcastle then I can take that😀

They both have great pace, have that ability to glide past defenders and both can shoot.

That''s a great starting point, but on its own will only make for a player who occasionally thrills the crowd but will not be a regular in the top flight.

The negative aspects of their game, working back, vision for a pass, being a bit stronger in the more confrontational aspects of the game is something they can work on and improve, IF they see the need and want to. I guess when you make a big money transfer at a relatively young age the temptation to believe that you are the finished article is huge, hopefully Jacob won''t fall in to that trap.

I was encouraged by some of the things that Josh said in last weeks interview about identifying weaknesses in his game and working on them. My fear at the moments that those fine words may not be followed through into actions.

I really hope that he knuckles down and fulfills his huge potential.

I wonder whether or not people would be so laid back about Josh not being in the side last night had we lost? Farke may have been blasted with footballing rhetoric on here and through other channels.In my opinion, Farke is doing exactly the right thing re Josh. Wildschut was really good again and in him we have an outlet with genuine pace. He''s also more inclined to track back and nick the ball of an opposing player''s toe than Josh is. Watkins isn''t as good of an option imo but, again, works really hard. Josh needs to wake up and realise that he needs to try and do those same kind of things in order to stay in the team.

[quote user="BobLoz3"]I wonder whether or not people would be so laid back about Josh not being in the side last night had we lost? Farke may have been blasted with footballing rhetoric on here and through other channels.In my opinion, Farke is doing exactly the right thing re Josh. Wildschut was really good again and in him we have an outlet with genuine pace. He''s also more inclined to track back and nick the ball of an opposing player''s toe than Josh is. Watkins isn''t as good of an option imo but, again, works really hard. Josh needs to wake up and realise that he needs to try and do those same kind of things in order to stay in the team.[/quote]

I''ve been saying Wildshut and Watkins should start for a while. For me, Watkins offers a better all round game, but more importanly plays well in a structured system.

Jacob and Josh are both very individual players, and often unpredictable. Both to the opposition and their teammates. This can be good and bad, but for a more structured, balanced system Watkins and Wildhsut flanking Hoolahan/Maddison/Pritchard/Naismith is the way to go. Especially away from home.

I was certainly happy with the team selection, win or lose yesterday - and said as much on here before the game. I said, and am still not sure that the injury ''crisis'' impacted us too much other than Husband being in for Stiepermann - but even then the lad may have felt he had a point to prove; Madders for Vrancic and Yanic for Josh made good sense.

[quote user="GJP"]He''s 22 and he''ll be 23 before this season is out. He ain''t a kid.[/quote]

Yeah, I made all my best decisions when I was 22, never got any of them wrong, never made any mistakes, and was fully competent at my job!

You don''t need to be awkward just for the sake of it. The inference is a lack of experience and a lot of development to happen, not that he''s 8 years old.

Josh is talented and will be a good player for us this season. He''s not the best player in the team but I don''t know anyone who''s said he is. 

I wasn''t being awkward for the sake of it.

Plenty of players know their way around a football pitch at 22 better than Josh does.

And I''m a fan of Josh, fwiw.

Josh used to remind me at times of Thierry Henry; going down the left, gliding inside & curling a well-crafted right-foot shot low into a corner with the keeper unable to reach the ball. Those memories seem somewhat distant - nowadays I do wonder whether he is trying too hard to live up to the ''he''s one of our own'' label?

Like LDC says, his mind appears focussed on scoring an individual goal rather than playing a team game. Maddison, for example is ''in the zone'' and relaxed enough to do what comes naturally to him. Josh needs to re-programme/re-create himself & DF can see that I guess...

Same old story with the Murphys.

They look like world beaters against lower league opposition, but the second they come up against better teams with better defenders, IE Bristol, Boro, they disappear.

Ive said this all along, both the Murphy boys are lower championship, upper league 1 players.

Jacob hasnt featured for Newcastle and wont, and Rafa will soon realise he''s wasted £12m.

Josh can be great on his day and a real threat, but only if were not playing teams in the top 10.

Jacob has definitely featured for Newcastle. And in his first season at Championship level grabbed 12 goals and 8 assists or so.
Although you writing them off, based on your posting history is a sure fire way for us to know they''re going to be a success [:D]