Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Bus was late again !

The game can''t restart until the officials are out, so nothing "late" about the team coming out at the same time as them surely? Is it perhaps normal practice in the Bundesliga? 

Refs will always follow the team out, so if they (we) are late, they normally bang on the dressing room door to hurry them up.

We might be getting a letter or call from the EFL if refs are including it their match report. Seems we''re stretching the rules as far as they can go with our ''time wasting'', or game management. Seems to wind up our opposition.

Can''t be a coincidence that our German coaching team is being very thorough about the tiny details.

This "gamesmanship" isn''t something I enjoy seeing. But continental coaches, players and crowds think nothing of, even expect, it.

If you employ a tactic to stifle the opposition other than through football you will have to accept diving, feigning injury and influencing the ref with every decision.

I wouldn''t care we came out late, I recall the Middlesbro game during our play off winning season when at Carrow Road at the end of the season they had more than a load of gamesmanship going on during their win over us. It''s a little pay back and revenge. I''m more thankful we parked a bus last night than it being late...it annoyed Monk, so it works for a result.

I can see how ensuring a delay of a couple of minutes after the interval and therefore keeping the opponents standing around shivering, having come from a warm dressing room, might well diffuse some of the effect of their manager''s buoyant half-time rhetoric but let''s not overdo it to the extent that a reputation is built-up.

All opponents might reciprocate to the point of absurdity. We could end up without a last forty-five, or at least game times spanning well over a couple of hours.

Good for corporate sales I suppose but it''s like undertaking on the motorway, whereby if everybody did it our roads would become more dangerous. If every team adopted such gamesmanship then the spectacle it''s self would suffer and it would evoke a groundswell of anger and resentment that could even transform the likes of our own benign puppy Russell Martin, and others, into a Ben Stokes on an average night on the tiles.

Yes, but surely the teams should be lined up and the ref. ready to blow for the off "bang on fifteen minutes."

Perhaps the interval should revert to the old ten minutes of years ago?

It does seem a deliberate ploy which has already got under skins. Fair enough, but let''s not overdo it.

Using every minute of the allowed time to maximum benefit for your players hardly qualifies as a "ploy". More a case of Germanic attention to detail. If rival coaches/managers don''t take similar advantage, that''s their business. Maybe they should rather ask themselves why British managers are becoming more and more noticeable by their absence in top leagues.  

First of all you don''t like the use of the word "ploy" and then you mention taking "similar advantage." If that''s not a contradiction I don''t know what is .... or at least the compilers of my dictionary don''t.

The fact is that the teams should be lined up and ready to start the game precisely on the fifteenth minute just as much as they are supposed to be lined up and ready to start the game at precisely 3pm or whatever.

If we are making a habit of stretching this point that''s surely attention to detail, whether Germanic or not I wouldn''t know, but I repeat that would not want us to obtain a reputation for unsporting behaviour however detailed.

There is enough time-wasting in the game these days as it is and with third officials always with their stop watches at the ready extra time allowances seem to becoming longer and longer. Gone are the days of the mandatory minute or two it seems.

Whether justified or not I wouldn''t know but some, for example, have the last plane to catch to get to Sheringham and my chauffeur is paid by the hour.

Use of the term "ploy" implies the motivation behind our using the maximum time available is some supposed effect it might have on the opposition. But in fact there are plenty of reasons to do solely with the well-being and preparedness of our own players which might make coming back out at the last possible moment perfectly understandable. You don''t need a dictionary; you need to not jump to over-hasty conclusions about what a post is saying. 

Very difficult to come to an over-hasty conclusion about that muddled response.

So now you are talking about the "well-being and preparedness of our own players" whereas before you mentioned "taking advantage."

Have NCFC players suddenly become a more vulnerable bunch than any team we have had in the past, or indeed any other team in the league, that they should now be afforded this special consideration?

Take yourself seriously by all means my friend, but think twice before you afford me the same consideration.

If it''s intentional, which by it''s seeming regularity then it might well be, then the club will get a reputation I wouldn''t wish it to have.

If DF is over-fussy, intense or whatever to the point of needing every valuable second to prepare his team for the second half then fair enough, but if it is a deliberate "ploy" then, although I might wish for him to get away with it for as long as possible, he could well get himself into unwelcome controversy.

Moron next to me is quite pleased. Arrives late, leaves early at half time, comes back late and leaves before the end. Why does he bother ?

This matter has interested me and I suppose that the question is whether Daniel Farke is breaking the rules, stretching the rules or using them by this observed ''tactic'' of delay. I don''t accept the view that he ''needs'' the time as it would appear to be deliberate.

Whether or not he is likely to get himself into hot water and whether or not NCFC is likely to get an unwelcome reputation for gamesmanship are the moot points.

I might have been wrong when I stated that the teams should be lined up and ready to play at the fifteenth minute of the interval (in the same way as they are at the start of the game at 3pm.) although this seemed the logical thing to assume.

LAW 7. of the Game states:-

"Players are entitled to an interval at half-time, not exceeding 15 minutes. Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval and it may be altered only with the referee’s permission."

This then is very vague in that it doesn''t define exactly when the teams should be actually ready for the re-start, although this does seem to mean that as long as DF gets his side out after fifteen minutes (presumably from the whistle for half-time) then he is doing little wrong.

There was an interesting article in today''s Mail about Mourinho''s sending off at the week-end for encroaching just six inches onto the pitch. The gist was that if you give his ilk an inch he will take a mile and that such rules ''should'' be observed down to the minutest detail. There are parrallels.

With the Reading game televised I shall be there with my stop-watch to monitor the time our team take from the half-time whistle until their re-appearance.

Riveting stuff I know but this business might give some indication of the mind-set of our manager and that he likely leaves no stone unturned in the pursuit of advantage.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]This matter has interested me and I suppose that the question is whether Daniel Farke is breaking the rules, stretching the rules or using them by this observed ''tactic'' of delay. I don''t accept the view that he ''needs'' the time as it would appear to be deliberate.

Whether or not he is likely to get himself into hot water and whether or not NCFC is likely to get an unwelcome reputation for gamesmanship are the moot points.

I might have been wrong when I stated that the teams should be lined up and ready to play at the fifteenth minute of the interval (in the same way as they are at the start of the game at 3pm.) although this seemed the logical thing to assume.

LAW 7. of the Game states:-

"Players are entitled to an interval at half-time, not exceeding 15 minutes. Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval and it may be altered only with the referee’s permission."

This then is very vague in that it doesn''t define exactly when the teams should be actually ready for the re-start, although this does seem to mean that as long as DF gets his side out after fifteen minutes (presumably from the whistle for half-time) then he is doing little wrong.

There was an interesting article in today''s Mail about Mourinho''s sending off at the week-end for encroaching just six inches onto the pitch. The gist was that if you give his ilk an inch he will take a mile and that such rules ''should'' be observed down to the minutest detail.
There are parrallels.

With the Reading game televised I shall be there with my stop-watch to monitor the time our team take from the half-time whistle until their re-appearance.

Riveting stuff I know but this business might give some indication of the mind-set of our manager and that he likely leaves no stone unturned in the pursuit of advantage.[/quote]I think you''ll find RB, that for once Mourinho was the victim of an over zealous referee who punished him for putting one foot onto the field of play, and accidentally (for once) colliding with the fourth official.  All commentators and press agreed with that interpretation, and indeed so did the PL when they took no further action against him.[:D]

I know nothing of the incident OR except from that I read.

It seems that principle rather than practicality was the order of the day and the Mail article justified this stance (quite well actually.)

I suppose JM''s reputation didn''t help.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I know nothing of the incident OR except from that I read.

It seems that principle rather than practicality was the order of the day and the Mail article justified this stance (quite well actually.)

I suppose JM''s reputation didn''t help.[/quote]The Mail late ridiculed the ref for being a pillock as did Martin Samuel in the same paper in his column!!  Probably to cover up for getting it wrong in the article you saw![:D]

I also thought we were back out at 15 minutes sharp on Tuesday, but it''s a pretty fine distinction whether it''s exactly 15 minutes to the players being back out of the tunnel, or to them being all lined up ready for kick off.

I have no problem with City being a bit hard-nosed about this sort of thing, but it''ll be interesting to see if anything comes of it over the season.

Ultimately it is the ref who is responsible for getting both teams back on the pitch and ready to kick off. Its there in black and white in the rule Broadstairs posted. If we''re dawdling or staying too long in the dressing room, its up to the ref to hurry us up.

Managers like Chris Wilder should be directing their ire towards the officials if they feel aggrieved or feel we have disrespected him or his club, but in his case, I think he''d already cooked his goose with that one.

[quote user="Woodman"]Managers like Chris Wilder should be directing their ire towards the officials if they feel aggrieved or feel we have disrespected him or his club, but in his case, I think he''d already cooked his goose with that one.[/quote] What I think managers like Chris Wilder should be doing is asking themselves whether they actually make the best use possible (for their players) of the 15 minutes allowed by the rules.

For all my fuss-potting and conspiracy theories I totally forgot to time our interval.

Did anybody else?

The bit about arriving last minute for the game was also interesting and possibly part of the same debate.

Daniel Farke does a lot of thinking.

Maybe Farke has seen something to suggest waiting around at the ground too long has a negative effect on our players somehow? We often train before a game as well might be a way he''s helped us stay focused. The half time thing is likely just gamesmanship and making the opposition wait around imo.

Can''t question any of it at the moment though. One of the things I think fans liked about Lambert''s era is that we stopped being soft touches and gave as good as we got with the ugly side of the game. Seems like something Farke is trying to bring in as well.