Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Roeder

Roeder was a top grade tw*t

To not clarify Huckerbys situation to him or the fans was disgusting considering Huckerby done far more for the club in a month than Roeder did for his entire duration.

The fact no one at the club has good things to say about the man speaks volumes.

Roeder was a poor man manager who alienated a fair few players and the fans. I''d still argue Grant was worse though.

Not only did he struggle pretty much consistently but he also wasted a fairly decent budget by our standards at that time.

Roeder had to pick up the pieces with a much tighter budget than Grant ever had.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Playing devil''s advocate really, but nothing in Lappin''s ''tale'' really suggests Roeder did anything to him that hasn''t been done by hundreds of other managers to hundreds of other players.

Lappin didn''t want to be seen as a player just picking up his wages and not player, but ultimately that is what he was, he admits he turned down other offers and didn''t want to return to Kilmarnock.

Imagine if Matt Jarvis did that now, refused to leave and just wanted to keep getting paid at Norwich when the club have said they want him to leave. Would everyone who supports Lappin support Jarvis? Would they all say ''he just loves the club and the area, shows he is a great guy''? I highly doubt it.[/quote]But at least Lappin had a great season in League One, and for two thirds of the Championship season until Surman finally settled. He probably didn''t leave because of the money, but after his later performances I don''t begrudge him.Don''t forget that supposedly we had a loan deal agreed with Sunderland for Naismith, which broke down because of personal terms. Roeder would have had him training with the kids after that.Plenty of players have come out with Roeder stories. Especially Huckerby, who had the agreement  to let him use the facilities torn up after Roeder heard Huckerby had given his honest opinion of him to Stefanovic before he signed.

Not particularly a fan of Roeder, Icecream Snow (though I agree with the poster above that he was far better in the role than Grant) but if you as manager had a discussion with an ex-player to use the facilities freely after they had left the club, and then heard they had badmouthed you to other players, would you still be happy to let said player use the training facilities to keep fit? Of course you wouldn''t.

Yes it was shocking the way he let Hucks down with regards to not allowing him to get a good send off, but it was a generous offer made to let him still train here.

I think people give Roeder a bad rap but the job he did with the squad he had in that 07-08 season was phenomenal. That team was dead and buried before he came in, and it was him who saved us. The players we had at the time, most of them Grant signings, were shockingly bad. I believe that if we had done the right thing and sacked Worthy in 05-06 (when it clearly wasn''t working), that with that squad and the quality we had, Roeder would have done well for us. He did lose the plot quite a bit in 08-09 with the teamful of loans, as we know.

All ifs and buts now, I know. Those were interesting times.

Those were horrible times. There was bad feeling between the players and manager, between the fans and the manager, between the kit man and the manager, between the local radio station and the manager, between the groundsman and the manager and between Hucks and the manager who''s career Hera was ended shamefully.

You work out the common denominator.

The managers job is to build team spirit and togetherness. In that regard he is the worst I can ever remember

Lappin at least hung around and forced his way back into become a regular. It would have been easier to have left straight away. I have no doubts about Lappin''s sincerity set against perhaps the most obnoxious manager we have ever had.

Roeder done well with what he inherited but if i was forced to welcome one of him or grant back into the club in some capacity it would be Grant every time.

One of those slight ''what if'' moments is what if we''d stumped up the cash and signed Martin Taylor on a perm? Would we have continued that run and had a chance at the top 6? Would Roeder have been a success longer term? Would Arsenal have won the league?

I thought when we went on that ridiculous 14 match unbeaten run in his first season after he took over from Grant that we would actually do it, we were right on the edge of the playoffs at one stage. We just didn''t have enough quality though and there was no cash to bring anyone in as Grant p!ssed it all up the wall on complete no-hopers like Fotheringham, Murray, Brellier, Otsemobor and Strihavka, all on big wages (for us at the time), including Lappin.

Some of those names from back then make me shudder.

"At least Grant had the decency to say "I''m not up to this" and walk away. Doesn''t happen very often."

Apparently that''s enough to be labelled an idiot by Bethnal.

Useful manager, yes, but idiot is just a stupid thing to call a man with integrity that is becoming increasingly rare in this sport.

Peter Grant is also a very good coach by all accounts and has done well in that position. He struggled as manager undoubtedly but did also have Etuhu and Earnshaw sold, replaced with Cureton who was never going to be as good a goalscorer at that stage.

When it comes to Grant''s tenure at Norwich, it was a bit idiotic at times. I''m sure many on here called it far worse at the time.

As for him throwing his hands up and walking away - he only did that after the board said ''quit or we sack you'' - he was still paid off.

Grant and Roeder were both dreadful managers.

I wanted to like Grant, but he lost me completely when he blamed the fans for the defeat at home to Hull. His signings were dreadful, though Lappin eventually came good and played a large part in the League 1 season and what followed.

But Grant has the added benefit over Roeder of actually looking like he gave a damn when he played for us; had the sense to walk away when he clearly was out of his depth; and for all his failings, didn''t come across as a mean-spirited moron like Glenn did.

I''m amazed anyone can or would defend Roeder. This is the man who thought Russell would be a decent striker, who set us up in a 4-6-0 formation away at Stoke, who thought Matty Pattison would be a better starting choice than Huckerby, who sold our only decent centre-back to fund the loan on Sibierski, who promoted that stupid 1 winger system that teams took all of 5 minutes to work out and counter, who signed Lupoli and then complained about him being ''too small'' (why sign him then, you bloody idiot?!), and didn''t allow us a send-off for one of our greatest ever players.

The man was an idiot, regardless of what he achieved when he first took over.

Roeder good points -

He kept us up in 07/08 when we looked dead and buried!

Signed Hoolahan!

Erh, that''s all!

Roeder bad points -

In 07/08 we went on an excellent unbeaten run with a settled team then he decided to change it and bring in poor loan players like Keiron Gibbs who unsettled the team and ended with the team only just staying up!

The loan signings in the above season and the relegation campaign next time around. Most were poor quality, some I suspect he got on the proviso that he played them and few of them gave a flying uck!

Terrible people skills which turned everyone against him including the Board who I believe were cringing at him in that relegation season. A bad atmosphere creates bad performance.

He had definite personal issues with players in particular Huckerby. He made life difficult for Hucks including playing him on the right out of position and not telling anyone he was releasing him preventing him from having a decent send off. A send of that was not needed cause I think at the time Hucks had another 3 seasons of football left in him. I''m convinced he gave below par left sided player Robert Eagle just to rub salt in the wounds of Hucks!

Ultimately a terrible choice as manager something the Board have admitted since. To old and long in the tooth meaning he wasn''t hungry and only took the job for the money. His terrible chip on the shoulder attitude meant his people skills were not good enough to be any use as a manager.

The one thing Roeder had over Grant was that he could actually spot a player, just didn''t know how to use them.

Bertrand and Gibbs both went on to play in the Champions League, Sammy Clingan was good and we sold him for a decent profit, I quite liked David Bell and of course there was Wes.

The list of players Grant signed is horrific though. Chris Brown, Julian Brellier, Ian Murray, Strihavka, etc etc.

In defence of Glenn Roeder I had bad heart trouble while he was in charge ,and was facing a major op .my family wrote to him and asked him if he could pass on his wishes.

I received a hand written letter from him passing on his wishes and telling me to look to the future after the op.

He said he was doing all he could to make city a great club.

I met him and his family years later after he had left the club and he remembered the letter ,he and his family were lovely .I asked him about his time at the club he said he enjoyed the city and the club and was sorry he could not have done better .came over as a nice sincere bloke.

Shame he didn''t have the qualities necessary for the job!

Again sounds like a bloke in complete denial!