Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Roeder

Wow! Seems he really was an evil Barsteward from what Lappin says in his interview!

Can honestly say I despised him as City manager, I know I’ve been critical of our recent managers but he really was not just an awful manager but a horrible Human being!

For sure Crabby. That and the day he patted his ample waiste line and told me how good the chocolate pudding was at Colney. He was right ☺☺☺

My son was in the academy under 14s when he was manager he didn''t like how he spoke to all senior players and younger players the man was a utter pig no wonder he hasn''t succeed anywhere else with an attitude like that

In defense of the awful Mr. Roeder, didn''t he have a brain tumor or similar and wasn''t he in danger to the extent that it transformed his personality?

He was a good footballer once and his coaching/managerial record prior to Carrow Road was quite decent. England coach under Hoddle? Euro qualification for Newcastle? Well known and respected within the game?

Even so Delia must have had a brainstorm appointing him when she did.

Would be nice to hear Roeder''s side of the story as Lappin is always going to want to paint himself in a good light.

At the time Norwich were trying to cost cut and Roeder didn''t rate Lappin, who I understand was one of the highest earners as Peter Grant is an idiot. Roeder wanted Lappin to move or go out on loan to reduce the wage burden but Lappin refused to go anywhere. This can be painted as loyalty to Norwich, or painted as a player who was happy to not play and earn a healthy wage package.

In my view, if Roeder had been successful as a manager then fans who hate Lappin who was happy to sponge off the club. But as Roeder was ultimately widely disliked then Lappin is a hero who stood up to him. If things had gone differently, then Lappin could have become Norwich''s own version of Winston Bogarde.

The thing about Roeder that always intrigues me is that he''s rarely out of work.Currently working as an advisor to the manager at Stevenage.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Would be nice to hear Roeder''s side of the story as Lappin is always going to want to paint himself in a good light.

At the time Norwich were trying to cost cut and Roeder didn''t rate Lappin, who I understand was one of the highest earners as Peter Grant is an idiot. Roeder wanted Lappin to move or go out on loan to reduce the wage burden but Lappin refused to go anywhere. This can be painted as loyalty to Norwich, or painted as a player who was happy to not play and earn a healthy wage package.

In my view, if Roeder had been successful as a manager then fans who hate Lappin who was happy to sponge off the club. But as Roeder was ultimately widely disliked then Lappin is a hero who stood up to him. If things had gone differently, then Lappin could have become Norwich''s own version of Winston Bogarde.[/quote]

Not only those two options, but it could be - and imo the most likely - that he was settled in the area and didn''t want to move, maybe for family reasons, maybe been demonstrated now by his return to living in the area. 

I think you''d have a point if Lapin was the only one who had problems with Roeder Bethnal.

Weren''t there issues with the kit man, the groundsman and his behavior at an AGM as well and then of course there was the treatment of Neil Addams when he made some minor criticism on canary call.

I went on a tour of CR a few months after Roeder had left and the ex-player showing us round was very open about how disliked he was.

It''s all rodents and rabbits to me.

In the past and well left there. I don''t think our Simon will ever make the Hall of Fame and the great Grantzilla was already planning an excursion into Norfolk in any case.

Salvation was around the corner and Lappin was on the first plane to Scotland.

For me his biggest sin was the treatment of Huckerby. He said he didn''t want any stars in the squad and by continually not picking Huckerby, certainly in the second season, was, personality aside, just plain stupid from a footballing point of view.

Bethnal - in the article, Lappin specifically says he didn''t want to be seen as someone who just picked up his wages. Of course you might say ''well, he would say that, wouldn''t he''. Admittedly, Lappin wasn''t the most gifted of players who have ever played for the club, but its clear he enjoyed playing and being here - witnessed by his decision to return to live here.

I think the majority opinion of Roeder is of a spiteful manager, who thought he knew best and never ''got'' what we are as a club.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]For me his biggest sin was the treatment of Huckerby. He said he didn''t want any stars in the squad and by continually not picking Huckerby, certainly in the second season, was, personality aside, just plain stupid from a footballing point of view.[/quote]It was pretty unforgiveable how he deliberately left Hucks in the dark as he came to the end of his contract denying him a proper send-off by the fans.If illness played a part in his behaviour fair enough but on the face of it he just comes across as a mean spirited little man.

Bethnal, I get your point that roeder had a job to do but I feel he went about it very unseneitively. It''s not football manager, the players are human beings too with real thoughts and real feelings.

You can''t just treat people like he did lapps and hucks, you need to be brave enough to sit down with them, man to man and speak about their future especially if you are dishing out bad news. One thing Alex Neil did well when he came in was bring the players onside. Look at that half a season he got out of Seb Bassong that was instrumental in our promotion!

Playing devil''s advocate really, but nothing in Lappin''s ''tale'' really suggests Roeder did anything to him that hasn''t been done by hundreds of other managers to hundreds of other players.

Lappin didn''t want to be seen as a player just picking up his wages and not player, but ultimately that is what he was, he admits he turned down other offers and didn''t want to return to Kilmarnock.

Imagine if Matt Jarvis did that now, refused to leave and just wanted to keep getting paid at Norwich when the club have said they want him to leave. Would everyone who supports Lappin support Jarvis? Would they all say ''he just loves the club and the area, shows he is a great guy''? I highly doubt it.

Oi Smiffy!!! You should be thankful that at times like this you have these things to moan about. Imagine if everything in the past and present garden was coming up roses......

Just because it''s happened to hundreds of players it doesn''t make it right.

Why should Lappin have to go to Kilmarnock when he clearly had a deal here that the club agreed when they bought him.

If Jarvis refused to go then I''d say he is entitled to. we agreed a deal with him and that''s our cross to bear. You never know there may still be a good player in there still. not seen him at championship level yet.

I think the club just has to try get the best out of the players despite the deals they are on. shoving them to the youth team without even meeting with them face to face is the wrong way to go about things.

I remember it as Lappin was deemed not good enough by the manager and dropped from the team - quite rightly so IMO (he wasn''t the only one after that Plymouth defeat, there were a good few who never played for us again)

It''s quite telling that Lappin''s most prominent run in the team in 6-7 years of being at the club was in our League One season. That, to me, says it all. That was his level.

As was said above, managers always drop players - it was done within 2-3 weeks of Roeder coming in when he was still assessing the squad he had inherited, so I don''t see why Lappin is seen as some sort of hero for just insisting on sticking around and picking up a wage, despite him not wanting to be seen in that way.

I''m not denigrating a player for seeing out their contract, I will always defend their right to do so. I just think it is weird he is a fan favourite for doing that.

Also, Roeder did speak to him face-to-face, the quote from the story is: "He called me in and said: ‘You are free to leave’."

I find it hypocritical for Lappin to say it is "one million per cent untrue" to say he was just staying at Norwich to pick up the money and not play, when that is exactly what he did. I can get he might not want to be transferred permanently away from the club as Roeder could go and he''d get a chance, but to reject a loan deal when he knows he had no chance of getting into the first team isn''t great a attitude, in my book.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Oi Smiffy!!! You should be thankful that at times like this you have these things to moan about. Imagine if everything in the past and present garden was coming up roses......[/quote]There can''t be a supporter on this planet who''s that lucky.Oh wait, there is one......[;)]

Lappin was a very hard working player who could definitely cross a ball. His real downfall was being bang average at championship level and in a team which was seriously under performing. I was there when he scored that last second freekick away at Luton. The reaction in the away end was absolutely unreal.

Roeder is the guy that most Norwich fans will say is the worst manager we''ve ever had and to be honest he deserves it. You go down your local pub and the conversation of Roeder and Grant is actually comical. Would like to hear what Hoolahan felt about him as hes still at the club but was also signed by him.