Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Top six finish

Looking good for the play offs.The squad is not great but he is getting the most out of them.They have trained for the pressing game which is not easy in this league and it is paying off.well done ncfc.

Possibility even better if we can sort out the goal scoring problems.

Yes the squad is better than most in the championship because we are a big club in this league. But in general terms few would play first team football in the prem. That''s not to say our players are not good in this league because they are proving they are.

Had a look on the Reading forum to see what they made of us, alot of them think we are the best team they have seen this season by some way.

A bit of perspective is needed here, just as we had a horrendous start, we are now on a good run BUT let’s not get carried away after 11 games! There’s still 35 games to go and as we have already seen both sides of the coin so to speak there could be lots more twists and turns yet to come!

Not being negative, just being realistic, let’s judge where we are after 30 games of a long season, if we are still where we are, or even higher, then yes it will look good, but people need to remember where we were last season at this time and we all know how that ended!

The test will be how we react when this run ends. Farke has shown he can change things when the need arises so I''m fairly confident in that.

After 5 games;A. Oh my God, we''re in a relegation battle, we''re going down, we need to sack the manager, sack Webber, get rid of Delia and the board. Failure, how could we fall so far?!!?!B. A little bit of perspective here. It''s only 5 games with a new team and a long way......A. SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!CLUB''S ON ITS KNEES!!!!!!!!!

After 11 games.B. Doing well, carry on in this way and we could push for the play offs.A. A little bit of perspective here. It''s only 11 games and a long way to go.B. Fair enough, but we''re going in the right direction. Glad we showed some patience.....

[quote user="Baldyboy"]A bit of perspective is needed here, just as we had a horrendous start, we are now on a good run BUT let’s not get carried away after 11 games! There’s still 35 games to go and as we have already seen both sides of the coin so to speak there could be lots more twists and turns yet to come!

Not being negative, just being realistic, let’s judge where we are after 30 games of a long season, if we are still where we are, or even higher, then yes it will look good, but people need to remember where we were last season at this time and we all know how that ended![/quote]Only 35 games to go to ruin our season![:D]

@Herman

After 5 games...

B- Russell Martin isn''t playing well and should probably be dropped...

A- OMG how can you say that? 5 managers have picked him for years they clearly know more than you! He wasn''t the worst player on the pitch! It isn''t like every single goal is his fault!

etc etc...

Just for the lolz.

[:D](In my defence I have never brought up the ''5 managers have picked him'' defence. I''m blaming everyone else for that.)

Ha, yeah it was only a joke. I''ll admit to being one who overreacted to our start to the season (although I didn''t go full meltdown) and Farke and a number of the new players have proved me wrong of late.

It''s the nature of most football supporters to sway with the wind. We try to sit on the fence but inevitably and repeatedly jump from one side or the other.

It is the ''constant critics'' and the ''habitual happies'' that are annoying.

This season has exposed our vulnerabilities as fans like no other.

Speaking for myself I was a massive supporter of our new approach. It seemed to me that the German model was the way to go and Daniel Farke and his signings impressed.

I expected us to hit the ground running. Some expected us to need a period of adjustment but were generally supportive. None of us expected us to sit in the relegation zone after half a dozen games and get the hammerings we did.

This miserable start co-incided with a very astute posting on here which suggested that the ''revolution'' such as it was was indeed unnecessary at this point in the club''s story and that all that was needed was to trim the wages bill whilst tightening up the defense leaving us nevertheless with a decent enough squad for an experienced ''old hand'' such as Steve Bruce to take us further than Alex Neil seemed capable of.

This view (I cannot remember the poster) hit a soft spot with me and was beginning to make sense. Perhaps there was overmuch change too soon and that it was a premature and mistaken route to take. Most of us started to be dubious about it all.

Now this present run, along with all the encouraging signs that we could have hoped for at the outset of the season.

Let''s hope that no more swaying is necessary.

Of course we have to keep a lid on it. It isn''t outstanding, brilliant football. Yet.

We have been blessed with Maddison who is a genuine Prem player I believe,

And the defence as Don Goodman said doesn''t mess about, they clear it and regroup.

We might have won by more with some tidier final balls as we were clearly the better side.

What has turned this around has been the desire to stop the opposition. And we look a different team defending. No one static but willing to put their bodies in front of the ball when needed. And the partnership of Trybull and Tettey is working and I apologise to Tettey for doubting him.

Top six ?We are good enough to be top twogood enough in the sense that we can grind out results on a repeated basislast six games has given us 14 pointsthat''s an average of 107 points over the seasonor 99 points if we continue the same over the next 35 gamesit can''t be done, I hearyou say - but then I doubt anyone would have seen 9 points from Sheff Utd, Boro and Reading  (all away) after we trudged off the pitch at Millwall.get the open top bus polished up, is my advice

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Calm down dear is better advice[/quote]it''s that Songs of Praisealways gets me going

(I''ll have a nice cup of tea and a bsicuit, that should do it)

Certainly looks good at the moment and Farke seems to have found a balance to get the best out of our creative players. I''d back is for top 6.

[quote user="Herman"] [:D](In my defence I have never brought up the ''5 managers have picked him'' defence. I''m blaming everyone else for that.)[/quote]Come off it, Herman, even after the Millwall debacle you were still defending Martin.

In August I predicted another 8th place finish. The last few weeks have seen my cup of optimism runneth over. Farke looks to be the real deal. Morale & team spirit should never be underestimated and I have now officially upgraded our position in May to 4th. Put the house on it. That is all.

I would go so far as to say we have a good chance of promotion. We are certainly nothing great at the moment but we have quickly adopted in to a difficult team to beat. The teamwork is good and we are playing a pressing game, closing down quickly and generally working hard. Confidence is growing particularly in the case of Gunn and Zimmermann. The latter is proving to be a no nonsense defender who we have all be craving for !! Much better with experienced Klose beside him. Hopefully we should now move on to being more of a force in attack and a bit more entertaining to watch !!! From what I have seen so far this season the general standards in the Championship are very average, we do have a strong squad, and should be front runners. Thankfully the Head Coach has learnt that the Carrow Road faithful (experts) are quite correct to say a possession game in your own half coupled with a slow build up, will not bear a lot of fruit.

Like everyone, I''m thoroughly enjoying our current run. For the sake of balance, is it worth looking at who we''ve played? Our first few games were tough on paper - Fulham, Sunderland, Villa. Then we had an ''easier'' run with Millwall, Burton, Birmingham and finally back to some tougher games like Middlesborough and Reading. I''d put us maybe 3 points behind where we should be, based on who we''ve played.

We have Derby and Wolves at the end of October, then November looks a shade easier before December looks tough with Leeds, Sheff Wed and Cardiff.

If we''re on 2 points for each game we''ve played by Christmas, then I''d say we''re doing really well.

Can''t underestimate the opposition - there are plenty of really good teams around - the good thing is that none of these teams is unbeatable and have all had the odd dodgy result, so it means of we can maintain the good form we have as good a chance as anybody to get in to the top six by the end of the season.

It''s far too early to say. Injuries to our fullbacks, Jerome or Maddison may leave us a bit vulnerable. In some ways another season in the Chump and developing the squad further may be better long term than a futile relegation battle in the Premiership.

Appreciate the point about the relegation battle if we did manage to go up but that has to be better than another huge cost cutting exercise that''s bound to happen if we lose our remaining parachute payment. We wouldn''t be worrying about possible injuries to Klose, Maddison and Pitchard as they would in all likelihood have been sold.

Top six finish - maybe, but it should be a realistic objective. Promotion? well if it did happen this season I wouldn''t worry about a relegation battle, the pay day would keep us humming along!