Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

The sorrow of Football

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41431359

Many of you have probably read this... I am angered by the prospect that the SIX would just get richer and bigger , and the rest poorer... I hate the leagues where just a group of 2-4 clubs run it and don''t face any stiff opposition anymore during league season (France, Spain, etc...) . For a club like ours it would mean a lot too... I really hope the other clubs don''t give in, cause it would bring the end of a really competitive Premier league even closer. Thoughts?

To be honest it should be the other way round.

I like US sport, where they don''t like one team or institution getting too far ahead of the rest. And with their system the poorer or less successful get first crack.

I know their TV deals are different but the new proposal for overseas rights in this country are just imitating the City and market to me.

It would be difficult to control the market but the Premier League has the power to control it properly and fairly.

Agree Keelan, I''m a fan of US Sport too... The NFL club I support get a fair share of the money and are competitive ... same with the MLB , NHL clubs I follow.

This would really kill the PL imo...

Who do you follow?

I follow the 49ers and they aren''t having a good time at the moment. Which just goes to show how the NFL have got it right. I know the Patriots have dominated a bit for a while, but the Superbowl is normally between different teams most years.

I''m a Bills fan . Agree, but most of the Patriots'' wins have been down to great coaching by Bellichick + offensive coordinator and not just money! There is always a stand out team like the Falcons last year and the Carolina Panthers the year before...

I think this shows how money rules football. The Premiership was created because the top league wanted more of the share of the money and it''s worked out better than they could ever imagined.

Can''t see why the other clubs would ever agree to this, luckily the Premier League has systems in place to stop it from happening.

Disappointed that Scudamore is even proposing the idea though as he has always been a strong advocate for equal distribution in the past.

I do think we will come to a point where clubs win the right to negotiate individual TV deals at one point and then the league is really screwed.

By PL rules doesn''t it take 14 of the 20 teams to agree to a proposal for it to come into force? I can''t see the "Billy Big Balls 6" getting another 8 teams to side with them when it would likely mean a reduced income. The Premier League is such a sought after commodity because it is reasonably competitive and anyone can beat anyone on any given day, unlike any other league in the world. I personally would like to see these six teams voted out of the PL by the 14 teams they''re trying to shaft. Then they can arrange their TV rights with who ever they want for whatever price they choose. They could then form a league of the "Top 6" and play each other in "massive games" every week over a 38 game season and see how long the interest in that lasts before they come crawling back, cap in hand asking to be readmitted to the PL.

The big clubs always called the shots even before the PL when there was a group of clubs across Europe holding the threat of a breakaway league. I''m sure the top clubs would like to negotiate their own tv deals. In the end it will probably come down to how much the subscribers want a competitive league opposed to blanket coverage of the top teams.

Couldn''t agree more IBT. You could argue that, in the long term, the six need the other fourteen more than the fourteen need the six.Would, for example, a 20 club Premier League of Aston Villa*, Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Derby, Everton, Huddersfield, Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle, Norwich, Sheff Weds, Southampton, Stoke, Swansea, Watford, West Brom, West Ham and Wolves generate no TV, sponsor or fan interest?(*Plucked six big clubs from Champs, are other ''contenders'' I admit and I am not going to omit ourselves!)With a more level playing field financially and renewed interest in a domestic sport that has had the tail removed from the dog, I think it would have every chance of doing very well indeed as a domestic league in its own right.There is no glamour in Man Uitd vs Juve or Liverpool vs PSG when its played twice a season at least, every season and the game itself is secondary to all the inevitable add ons it would generate.

There has been discussion of a European super-league for the top clubs for as long as I can remember, but it would be a massive gamble for them to cut away from their home leagues because it could go horribly wrong with (presumably) no relegation/promotion and problems with lack of atmosphere due to small travelling support etc.  At the moment the Champions League gives them a decent approximation without the leap in the dark of giving up their domestic leagues.

Unless that (i.e. leaving the Prem) becomes a credible alternative ( and would it actually involve the big 6 English clubs or only say 3 of them ?) their leverage is limited because in the end they need the Prem as much as the rest of the Prem needs them.  So I can''t see the other clubs agreeing to this, it would be madness.

Agree with most that has been said here...but I am sure the bribing has begun and Scudamore is "catering" for the big six...he just needs clubs to agree with the six...and there will be a lot of £ in return for them...

I fear the big big money might persuade clubs to take the risk...

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]By PL rules doesn''t it take 14 of the 20 teams to agree to a proposal for it to come into force? I can''t see the "Billy Big Balls 6" getting another 8 teams to side with them when it would likely mean a reduced income. The Premier League is such a sought after commodity because it is reasonably competitive and anyone can beat anyone on any given day, unlike any other league in the world. I personally would like to see these six teams voted out of the PL by the 14 teams they''re trying to shaft. Then they can arrange their TV rights with who ever they want for whatever price they choose. They could then form a league of the "Top 6" and play each other in "massive games" every week over a 38 game season and see how long the interest in that lasts before they come crawling back, cap in hand asking to be readmitted to the PL.

[/quote]

That would be the perfect response.

Alternatively since I think there is almost universal agreement that the Premier League''s attractiveness is based largely on its competitiveness and since the top six already derive a lot more external revenue from their popularity overseas, then in the interests of competiveness the other 14 should insist the top six only receive a minimal share of overseas TV rights since they are basically advertising their other highly profitable revenue streams.

Basically the other 14 should grow a pair and impose some sanity on the greedy b*stards who are ruining the game in order to increase their already obscene incomes.

This sort of story reminds you why Leicester City winning the Premier League was so popular. Screw the so-called big six.