Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Maddison V Pritchard

So with James playing so well at the moment and Alex due to return in the near future who would you choose for that centre mid role? Easy choice at the start of the season but Maddison is proving to be a class act so can he be dropped, or is there a way to fit both into the starting line up.

Pritchard has experience playing wide left and could be the competition Murphy needs on that side. That would enable Maddison to play in the same team. For any doubter, from "Fansided" a Tottenham fansite -  "Based on talent alone, Pritchard would fit right in as a rotational

player in Mauricio Pochettino’s three attacking midfield roles as he has

experience playing at the number 10 position and out wide as a left

midfielder
."

I seem to remember any two from three of Wes, Pritchard and (whispers) Naismith working well during Irvine''s brief period in charge. So not beyond the realms of possibility for Alex and James to play together.

I think they prefer slightly different roles. Pritchard is a touch further up the pitch, slightly stronger & more dynamic, perhaps more likely to contribute to goals. But Maddison has a wonderful knack of finding time & space out of nowhere - as well as a majestic dead ball delivery. There will be games which suit one slightly better than the other.

It''s a wonderful position for Farke to be in.

The only worry is that Alex regains full fitness. All too often bad injuries can effectively finish careers.

Is there any news on how he''s progressing? Has he done any form of light training, running, anything at all yet? I''ve seen nothing official (or on twitter).

I just hope we get to enjoy them both playing together.

I don''t think either will here next season, unless we achieve promotion. Of course Pritchard has to get back to full fitness, But he did last time and should do again. I don''t think this injury is the same as before??

Can''t seem either of them being here long term sadly. Makes you appreciate the attitude and commitment of Wes.

When Farke said Pritchard won''t be back until the new year, Pritchard then tweeted and said ''November''.

However, I think Farke meant he won''t be ready for games until the new year and Pritchard meant he''d be back in training.

Playing them together might be tricky, Pritchard works as a left winger when there isn''t also No. 10 in the team. He will start out on the wing and then move into the middle, creating a bit of space for himself. If there is someone like Maddison already in that position everything gets a little congested. Norwich also tried to play with several smaller, creative players in the earlier part of the season and that is when they were conceding three or four goals a game - much of the recent stability has been due to Trybull alongside Tettey. Sacrificing one of those for Pritchard/Maddison might result in the previous defensive issues raising their head again.

Add Hoolahan and Vrancic (who although signed as a No. 8 has struggled in that role and looked at his best when played as a No. 10) into this mix and Farke has a bit of a headache and could end up trying to accommodate players to keep them happy.

I think you''re right Bethnal, it was certainly my understanding that Pritchard is unlikely to feature for the first team until 2018 from what was said before. Obviously, there''s always a chance he''ll be back quicker than that. I''m looking forward to his return, will be like having a new signing.

As for the Madders/Pritchard question, it''s pretty straightforward at the moment for me. Pritchard has to earn his place, and at the moment it probably looks like Wes/Madders are more likely to feature in the middle, so we''d be looking at Prichard and Murphy on each flank. Can''t be unhappy with that prospect at all!

On the flip side, as Bethnal has said, we''ll have Naismith, Pritchard, Murphy, Vrancic, Maddison, Wes, Wildschut and Watkins (3rd choice Striker as well of course) all competing for 3 positions - could we see some of those exit in January? Hmm...

I''m going to whisper this quietly, but I think Wes has looked less effective this season... (*puts tin hat on...*).

Might be due to Maddison and Vrancic being preferred in a more central role.

Wes is 35 years old - he will slow down quite quickly now and this will probably be the last season in which he can be influential - Maddison is his more natural successor, and will feature more and more instead of Wes rather than as well as Wes.

Pritchard is a shoe in for me once he is fit. We have no other player like him - Naismith should be the one competing for that slot, but isn''t good enough or is injured.

I love Wes, but the prospect of Pritchard alongside Maddison behind Oliveira is very exciting.

Too early to know what will happen, but already better than last year!

Wes has been played on the right, so then tends to drift inwards into a congested area or cut back onto his left foot which slows the pace of the game.

If he plays it should be as a number 10 or on the left side - not on the right.

I think you can fit Pritchard and Maddison in the same team but you can''t play all three of the little attacking midfield types we have. Both are naturally going to drift though so you need to have a very solid defensive base to let them do their thing.