Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

TV Money

Its an interesting point - whilst I agree that the rich seem to be getting richer, I bet the TV audiences for, say, West Brom v Swansea are considerably lower than Man Utd v Chelsea.

I did notice that after the initial couple of weeks where ''the top six'' were regularly on Sky, they''ve now dipped into the Premiershp also rans for the last few weeks.

I find much more enjoyment from watching the EFL games, mainly for the obvious reasons to see how we might fare against them. Sheff Wed v Leeds last weekend for example was a great watch.

The whole system is screwed up anyway.Smaller clubs regularly struggle to get 5-7 games a season shown live on SKY, whereas the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd et al, get 13+...I don''t care what the neutral prefers, or how many fans there are of each club, there should be an EVEN distribution of games, with maybe a couple of additional ones for last day title challengers, relegation contenders or similar.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]The whole system is screwed up anyway.Smaller clubs regularly struggle to get 5-7 games a season shown live on SKY, whereas the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd et al, get 13+...I don''t care what the neutral prefers, or how many fans there are of each club, there should be an EVEN distribution of games, with maybe a couple of additional ones for last day title challengers, relegation contenders or similar.[/quote]

Let the top ******* six break away and form their own ******* league and die of boredom when they play each other every five weeks.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]The whole system is screwed up anyway.Smaller clubs regularly struggle to get 5-7 games a season shown live on SKY, whereas the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd et al, get 13+...I don''t care what the neutral prefers, or how many fans there are of each club, there should be an EVEN distribution of games, with maybe a couple of additional ones for last day title challengers, relegation contenders or similar.[/quote]I thought every team was guaranteed 8 live showings.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]The whole system is screwed up anyway.Smaller clubs regularly struggle to get 5-7 games a season shown live on SKY, whereas the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd et al, get 13+...I don''t care what the neutral prefers, or how many fans there are of each club, there should be an EVEN distribution of games, with maybe a couple of additional ones for last day title challengers, relegation contenders or similar.[/quote]

Wash your communist mouth out, IB.

[quote user="ricardo"]I thought every team was guaranteed 8 live showings.[/quote]That certainly wasn''t the case a few seasons ago, but if they have made a minor change it''s a start, but there''s still no comparison between 8 games and the 14-15+ most of the big six will get instead.I remember doing a blog article about the situation back in 2013 ([url=http://indybonestruth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bias-on-box.html]Bias on the Box[/url]), where we got 5 games shown that season, compared to Liverpool with 16, Man City and Spurs with 14 each, Arsenal and Man Utd with 13 each, and Chelsea with 10.So the big boys got a minimum of TWICE as many games as we did, and in Liverpool''s case, 3 times more...

I''m no fan of how the PL works, but that''s just the nature of television programs and their audience ratings isn''t it IB?

The numbers have changed a bit Indy, but the gist is the same. I think last year Sunderland were only on 8 times but Chelsea were on 26 times. Surprisingly boro were on 13 times!

[quote user="cornish sam"]The numbers have changed a bit Indy, but the gist is the same. I think last year Sunderland were only on 8 times but Chelsea were on 26 times. Surprisingly boro were on 13 times![/quote]And at 750k per televised game extra, that''s an additional 13.5 million Chelsea received over Sunderland just because of the number of live games shown!As I''ve said on numerous occasions, unless SKY introduce a system whereby you can specifically pay to watch your own team play, there is going to be unbalanced coverage to keep the ''big'' teams happy. Let''s also not forget how shockingly poor our coverage used to be on MOTD as well, we''d be lucky to get 3-4 mins of highlights, some meaningless garbage from Shearer and then the show would end...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="cornish sam"]The numbers have changed a bit Indy, but the gist is the same. I think last year Sunderland were only on 8 times but Chelsea were on 26 times. Surprisingly boro were on 13 times![/quote]And at 750k per televised game extra, that''s an additional 13.5 million Chelsea received over Sunderland just because of the number of live games shown!As I''ve said on numerous occasions, unless SKY introduce a system whereby you can specifically pay to watch your own team play, there is going to be unbalanced coverage to keep the ''big'' teams happy. Let''s also not forget how shockingly poor our coverage used to be on MOTD as well, we''d be lucky to get 3-4 mins of highlights, some meaningless garbage from Shearer and then the show would end...[/quote] Agree Indy , in my thread on the matter there was a reference to the American way of doing things...guarantees a good competition every season! Highlights and games are equally divided , every team gets the same amount of games on monday night football for example... Football has a lot to learn or it will be a select league of top clubs with all smaller clubs dying out.

Every club is given the money that equals at least 10 TV appearances, but they won''t necessarily be shown 10 times on TV.

Not really a surprise big clubs get more coverage is it? At least the Premier League distributes the vast majority of the money on an equal basis, unlike leagues like Spain where each club has to negotiate a deal with the TV companies on an individual basis.

The big 6 are unlikely to get their way, they need 14 clubs to agree to the changes, and while they have secured West Ham, Everton and Leicester''s support they will never get the remaining 5 clubs they need.

I can''t see them wanting to break away and do the whole European Super League thing often talked about, but I can see Champions League games getting moved to Saturdays and Sundays - which will boost the numbers of views and increase their revenue that way. The time zones make watching midweek Champions League games difficult in the Americas and Asia (either on during the middle of a work day, or the middle of the night).

The next TV deal will be announced this winter, and the Premier League has already secured a 10 times the amount of money they are currently getting from China. The new US deal is also larger and most other markets will probably follow suit.

At Champs level, look at how many Leeds game are shown already compared with anyone else. WHY?

Not just because they are doing better, as I’ll bet they had more games last season than anyone else.

now if it was a straight two leg knockout unseeded competition instead being semi fixed it might get my interest

The top 6 need to realise there would be no league without all the other teams. They get the extra money by competing in Europe and cup runs etc. I would love the tv companies to start to pull the plug on this obscene gravey train of transfers and wages

The irony is, of the Top 6, you could argue its Liverpool & Man Utd who are the biggest due toe sheer amount of trophies won

Chelsea & Man City are only big in the last 10/15 years due to investors wealth, Spurs are getting there and Arsenal are somewhere between the 2 sides