Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Forbidden games - The Justin Fashanu Story

Telling the story of Justin''s life

Being released today on iTunes, Amazon and Google Play

He was a big figure in ''my era'' I will try and watch this, not from just a footballing angle,, to try and learn about the man, and his life

He was a golden boy. It all went wrong somewhere. Scored one of the greatest goals I''ve ever seen at CR.

A sad and tragic end.

[quote user="ricardo"]He was a golden boy. It all went wrong somewhere. Scored one of the greatest goals I''ve ever seen at CR.

A sad and tragic end.[/quote]
Largely went wrong due to Clough and his brother being smallminded pr1cks. Clough later said his behaviour towards Justin was one of his greatest regrets, but that doesn''t change the way he treated him - he destroyed his career. John was a complete (unt towards him, and Justin ended up turning to Christianity to try and find his identity and some semblance of belonging, which ultimately screwed him up even further.

Just watched ths afternoon, a good watch.... however there certainly was a darker side to Justin, seemed he was always trying to be something but not sure what. He should have stayed at Norwich where he was adored.

When you''re black and gay and only just managing to avoid being abused for that each game, try and imagine being a gay footballer on top of that. Multiply that with having a disgusting selfish homophobe for a brother... no wonder he had an identity crisis. The chap had it all against him. No amount of talent can make that go away.

Even his own daughter was disgusted with him (John, that is)It was an horrendous way to treat a family member and apparently their mother wasn''t at all supportive either. Although John has since apologised for his comments and behaviour, it is clear that a homophobic attitude was deep within him.  Different times, I suppose, and homosexuality was even less accepted back then (even now there is still a long way to go).We must remember that footballers/sports people are human beings like all of us and, while they say they''re thick skinned, I''d imagine they still feel deeply hurt by certain situations. Plus, mental health in men already has enough stigma surrounding it and this inability for gay sportsmen to come out while still in the game does nothing but to cause more hurt and frustration. It isn''t just an impact on said person''s life, it is most likely felt by many around them.Sadly, I don''t think football/other sports are any closer to eradicating this problem and it will always exist as long as there are ''supporters'' willing to create homophobic chants or mutter profanities of a similar nature.