Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Top 3 Cities in England to visit .

Was very fortunate to spend a couple of nights in York last month . As nice as Norwich is I thought it had that little bit extra and the pubs were fantastic too .

I''ve been to Bath a few times and that Georgian architecture is just stunning which just eccentuates its general beauty. My top 3 would be York/Bath and maybe give Norwich the bronze medal.

Just wondered what other people''s favourite were and any tips for trips in the future .

Norwich for obvious reasons.

My wife and I like Taunton and Windsor.

I took a couple of days in Liverpool and loved the place. The people are friendly, good pubs and shops and the cultural side is good quality.

No 1 --  London, so much to see and do every day.  No2 -- Norwich, don''t think I need to explain, let''s just say my wife is Swindon born bred, the the first time she visited the fine City she fell in love with it. No3 -- Newcastle,  Love the people and load to do.

That''s spot on Hoggy. Be wary of the weekends. That is when the Stag and Hens turn up in their droves.

Leaving Norwich out of the equation as I''m too biased and London as it''s almost a country on it''s own it''d be :1) York. By a country mile. Steeped in history and you don''t have to travel miles to see it all. Too many visitors all year round but especially bad in the summer school holidays.2 ) Brighton. Really lively with loads of lanes and independent shops a bit like Norwich. Great places to eat and drink.3 ) Salisbury. Nice English city where everything runs at a relaxed pace.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Leaving Norwich out of the equation as I''m too biased and London as it''s almost a country on it''s own it''d be :1) York. By a country mile. Steeped in history and you don''t have to travel miles to see it all. Too many visitors all year round but especially bad in the summer school holidays.2 ) Brighton. Really lively with loads of lanes and independent shops a bit like Norwich. Great places to eat and drink.3 ) Salisbury. Nice English city where everything runs at a relaxed pace.[/quote]

Would go along with those three, although Durham is a cracking place to visit too.

Agree re.York though haven''t been there for ages.Winchester and Chichester are worth a look, latter has the added attraction of the South Downs incl.Goodwood nearby.

Just been to Chichester, very nice. Like a mini Norwich. Arundel, up the road, is well worth a visit while you are down that way.

Cambridge is well worthy of a visit, a really lovely place in the summer if you''ve not been with some nice waterside restaurants and pubs.

Cardiff is worth a visit too if you''re that way, quite a cultural and modern city.

Liverpool is a very artsy city

To be honest we don''t usually visit cities that much, if we''re on our travels we much prefer finding a pub/restaurant in a little town or village

I know the question was about England, but Edinburgh is always a decent place to go; otherwise I''d say York is a top place and not too big, whereas London''s too big but has stuff wherever you go. Oddly, I''ve been to Liverpool a couple of times and never really warmed to either the place or the people.

Was in Canterbury at the weekend, and thought it was nice, nothing amazing. Agree about York, great place.

Love Edinburgh also BP, and off to Dublin next week, for a short Guinness break............

I have always thought that Bristol is a pretty picturesque city. There is plenty of Gothic architecture (albeit much built on the proceeds of slavery), the Docks, Clifton suspension bridge and if you can handle the hike uphill, the Gloucester Road is like a 2 mile long St Benedict''s Street with all manner of quirky independent traders.The other place I would recommend, although not a city, is Cheltenham. Pitville Park is amazing, again there are plenty of Gothic and Georgian buildings. If you can handle total chaos and thousands of drunk Paddy''s there''s the Gold Cup Festival in March (not to my tastes though). A little bit more sedate are the Music and Cricket festivals held around June and July time, with the music festival being the oldest in the country. Or if you are looking for something with a more continental flavour you could try the Christmas Market which runs from late November to the middle of December and has traders from all over Europe.

You can''t beat London. I lived there for over 25 years and it still has a freshness whenever I make a return visit. Norwich and London complement each other extremely well.

Newcastle appeals from the 2 times I have been there. Good nightlife, good selection of asian food, student town, Stadium right in the centre. Love the riverside, nice places to go around the area. Has one of the biggest shopping centers in the country.  Not as sophisticated as it could be, but good craic and hell if you want more sophisticated go to Edinburgh. Another selling point is I read an article once from this guy who has walked around all of the country and mentioned Newcastle as a place where he say a lot of kids playing in the street which indicates he thought this is not the norm now.Or Fuck England C''mon to Glasgow and we will treat you to a Mars Bar Supper and a bottle of Buckie by the Clyde.

Since its spreading out of England, Edinburgh is my home town so a biased No1, Exeter is the jewel in the South West and not dissimilar to Norwich and therefor my No2, and Newcastle is my No3, the people and the nightlife second to none, a short drive and some amazing countryside and seaside resorts..

Slightly surprised Bath isn''t getting much of a mention .The Circus is absolutely stunning and high tea a the punp rooms with the string quartet is something special .