Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Top 3 Cities in the World to Visit

So what do the well-traveled Pinkun Posters think are the top 3 cities in the world to visit?

My choice:

1. Bangkok. Exotic, mad, great street food

2. Shanghai. Everything is on a massive scale, the locals are bonkers, again great food

3. New York. Exciting, over-the-top, city that never sleeps

1.Hanoi. Old style Colonial city yet to be spoiled by mass tourism and modernization.

2. Munich. Modern clean city, good transport, bars and beer.

3. Bruges. quaint old town, good bars and beer.

Recurring theme on a couple of them!

Istanbul was. In the current climate I wouldn''t recommend it, so...

Berlin.

Sydney.

Galway.

Istanbul is amazing. My favourite city in the world.

Siem Reap in Cambodia is incredible - temples everywhere and all different too. So much to see.

Banjul in Gambia is an experience. Not sure about it being one of the best but certainly an eye opener.

I wasn''t really a fan of Bangkok - not actually much to do. Nice city to chill out in but I''d get bored pretty quickly if staying for more than a few days.

my 3 favourite cities I''ve visited would be

Barcelona

Rome

Monaco

3 favourite places

Florida

Tortola

St Maarten

[quote user="kick it off"]Istanbul is amazing. My favourite city in the world.

Siem Reap in Cambodia is incredible - temples everywhere and all different too. So much to see.

Banjul in Gambia is an experience. Not sure about it being one of the best but certainly an eye opener.

I wasn''t really a fan of Bangkok - not actually much to do. Nice city to chill out in but I''d get bored pretty quickly if staying for more than a few days.[/quote]

Agreed about Siam Reap, Angkor Wat should be on everyone''s bucket list.

What do you like about Istanbul? I was there in June this year and enjoyed it but found the food similar everywhere. You must know the best places, KIO.

I nearly put Munich, like a couple of people, the scenery is amazing, the region easy to navigate. the Wiesn....

Oh ! If we are going continental, there''s a load of places I visited in the Navy. My top ''runs ashore'' where :---Hong Kong -- probably changed now it is  Chinese.Bangkok -- Especially for the lady''s ;-)Seychelles  --- For it''s pure beauty  

BarcelonaPortoCartagena (Colombia)I''m not especially well-travelled, but those three are my favourites. Off to Reykjavík next month, about which I am greatly excited :)

Feedthewolf wrote the following post at 11/10/2017 3:53 PM:

Barcelona

Porto

Cartagena (Colombia)

I''m not especially well-travelled, but those three are my favourites. Off to Reykjavík next month, about which I am greatly excited :)

Did you visit Bogata?

[quote user="Van wink"]Feedthewolf wrote the following post at 11/10/2017 3:53 PM:

Barcelona

Porto

Cartagena (Colombia)

I''m not especially well-travelled, but those three are my favourites. Off to Reykjavík next month, about which I am greatly excited :)

Did you visit Bogata?[/quote]No – we flew into it, but immediately transferred to Cartagena. Amazing place!

Venice (but only out of season - early to mid-November is good).Budapest - the architecture is a monument and witness to 20th century history.Sydney, even if beyond the harbour it isn''t that much different to anywhere else.On a smaller scale:Broken Hill - industry, and art, on the edge of the world''s oldest culture.Bardejov, a little gem in untouristy Slovakia.Sulina - at the mouth of one of the three arms of the Danube, and accessible only by water.

[quote user="Van wink"]Bolivar Plaza is worth a visit if you go back[/quote]Cheers buddy. We went to visit some friends who were travelling around Latin America, and they said that both Bogota and Medellin were amazing places. Would definitely like to go back some day – really friendly place, great food and drink, great party vibes!

[quote user="Excited Canary"]San FranciscoHoi AnSydneyI also echo the poster who said Siem Reap too - a close 4th![/quote]

Rome

Cape Town

San Diego

[quote user="Big Vince"]

Rome

Cape Town

San Diego[/quote]Did you have a word with the Pope about the girl Delia while you were there Vinnie? [^o)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]On a smaller scale:Broken Hill - industry, and art, on the edge of the world''s oldest culture.Bardejov, a little gem in untouristy Slovakia.Sulina - at the mouth of one of the three arms of the Danube, and accessible only by water.[/quote]
For small scale off the beaten track places - 
Birecik (Eastern Turkey, near Gaziantep) - Obviously not where you want to visit right now, but it''s a lovely little town on the banks of the Euphrates. There''s not much there but it''s beautiful
Phi Phi Islands - on the tourist trail but still pretty undeveloped
There is an NCFC bar on Ao Nang Beach in Krabi, Thailand by the way.

Kracow, yes. Wonderful place[Y]Ljubljana, Dubrovnik, Bruges all worth a long weekend.

Being a true country boy, i don''t like cities.

I cope with Norwich as it is so familiar and is compact enough to feel like a large town.

The only city which makes sense to me is Venice - a place where the internal combustion engine is not king, and which could be largely sustainable without the tourists.

But I''m with Purple -go in early to mid November, especially in the year which is not the bienalle.

Actually don''t go then, as that''s when we''ll be there.

In order of personal preferance;-1/ New Orleans, just an amazing vibrant unbelievable place.2/ Pompei, ok not a city as such now, but to visit it is the most surreal experience of how clever, amazing and well the Romans lived.3/ Singapore, if you were starting with a clean sheet of paper of how you would want your cities to be, Singapore would be a big part of the blueprint, IMO.