Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

What the Hucks ?

We will only know if this is a good decision if we finally produce some youngsters capable of establishing themselves in the first team.

Huckerby hasn’t been in the job long so maybe that’s why he’s been got rid of?

I do find that Webber is culling too much too quickly for my liking, but as I said before the only way we will know if he’s right is if we become a club capable of getting out of this division in the near future!

It shouldn’t matter whether Hucks is a legend or not, he is of course. It’s about his coaching ability surely that’s what’s most important isn’t it?

What I do find strange is Webber saying we aren’t producing the talent when he has gone out and bought Phillips, Fonkeu and Abrahams, instead of us giving homegrown youngsters a chance

IMO this is all financial, in preparation for the cut in in income if we remain in the Championship. I should imagine there is also the possibility that the Langley School scholar programme will be cut or drastically reduced and this along with the reduction in the number of coaches may result in the loss of Cat 1 Academy status.

Whether this is the appropriate way forward, time will tell.

I have nothing against SW, however I do have a concern that our board have put all their eggs in one basket again.

It has the whiff of, “we don’t really know how to run a business/football club, or have lost the will/energy to do so, so we will put all our faith in, and give all the power to, one man who we think can and then step back while he gets on with the job. This has been the way the board has operated since the appointment on McNally and it leaves the club open to the obvious frailties of having one person rule the roost.

Taking a step back, we have replaced just about anybody who has anything to do with the managing of the football side of the club, from the first team to the academy and brought many new players in, some on only £3000 per week, whilst still paying other players who are not even in the 1st Team match day squad around £50,000 per week and we now have an academy, run by SW’s friend from Huddersfield, which is in the throes of being culled and possibly downgraded, remember Huddersfield shut/restructured their academy at the same time as SW appointed Steve Weaver, who I suspect had something to do with that process.

As stated earlier, I have no axe to grind with any of the individuals in place or decisions taken but have a concern that our board needs bolstering with ''fresh blood'' business professionals, outside of accountancy. Sales, marketing, etc.

Finally, whilst Hucks is possibly the highest profile ‘redundancy’ there are others with commitments who are in a far less fortunate position and it is for those I feel the most. Part of life’s rich tapestry I guess.

[quote user="Ray"]

Whether this is the appropriate way forward, time will tell.

I have nothing against SW, however I do have a concern that our board have put all their eggs in one basket again.

It has the whiff of, “we don’t really know how to run a business/football club, or have lost the will/energy to do so, so we will put all our faith in, and give all the power to, one man who we think can and then step back while he gets on with the job. This has been the way the board has operated since the appointment on McNally and it leaves the club open to the obvious frailties of having one person rule the roost. [/quote]Ray, I thought the change in structure meant that one person wasn''t running the business & the football side of the club, have you dissmissed Steve Stone''s role?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]It shouldn’t matter whether Hucks is a legend or not, he is of course. It’s about his coaching ability surely that’s what’s most important isn’t it?

What I do find strange is Webber saying we aren’t producing the talent when he has gone out and bought Phillips, Fonkeu and Abrahams, instead of us giving homegrown youngsters a chance[/quote]Bringing the three that you mention in (don''t forget young Greek lad we got from Arsenal too) is more about strengthening our youth prospects. These are all players who have been at other clubs and have, I would imagine, been singled out as a good buy (for not a lot of money) to develop for the future. In the case of Abrahams, he''d played a few games in the lower leagues and impressed so, arguably, a better option to bring him in than go with what we already had. Phillips would be well known to SW from his time at Liverpool and was one of their hottest prospects until he had a bad injury. In short, they''re all pretty talented guys who will undoubtedly play U23''s here, then go out on loan for a season or half season when close to being ready for first team action. I think it''s a good thing.

Hi TCCANARY,

No, but I believe he ''keeps the books'' insomuch he will advise on monetary matters solely, not on strategy, etc. Maybe a bit like my missus saying (not that she would), I want a new outfit and I want to redecorate throughout, do we have the budget, the answer could be yes, if you cut down on spa days and from there the decision will be made by the overall strategist, in this hypothetical case, the missus.

[quote user="Ray"]Hi TCCANARY,

No, but I believe he ''keeps the books'' insomuch he will advise on monetary matters solely, not on strategy, etc. Maybe a bit like my missus saying (not that she would), I want a new outfit and I want to redecorate throughout, do we have the budget, the answer could be yes, if you cut down on spa days and from there the decision will be made by the overall strategist, in this hypothetical case, the missus.[/quote]OK, I was a little confused as you started your original post by saying it was a financial decision.

Not too bothered about this, especially if it means we have someone lined up who has the necessary qualifications to improve the throughput of younger players.

Hucks is and always will be a Norwich legend, but that will be for his playing days and loyalty to the club. Just because he decided to move back here at the end of his career because he likes the area doesn''t mean we owe him a job at the club. Hopefully the days of the NCFC gravy train are coming to and end under the new regime, we need the best people for the jobs in question, not someone in a role just on the basis that they are a club legend (which as I said, he obviously is)

[quote user="Ian"]It''s very tough, but Webber is simply doing what he was brought in to do.

It''s always a deep shame to see people being let go, but there could be a multitude of reasons as to why Hucks was let go (cost vs. benefit etc.). There''s no doubt he''s a brilliant character and will always remain a club legend, but there''s simply no room for sentiment in our current predicament.[/quote]

I''m Just glad there was room for sentiment over financial gain from Huckerby in 2003. He could have easily stayed on Man City on massive wages and watched Norwich fail to win promotion.

I think there is always room for one or two legends to be involved with the club. It keeps a nice connection with the fans and makes for good PR. Who knows if Huckerby was a good assistant coach or not, but he was a very good, loyal and professional footballer, traits that surely are of value to young players finding their way in the game.

Exactly. Stuart Webber said the academy lads need role models. I''m struggling to think of a better one that Hucks. It doesn''t make any sense.

I''m pretty sure there are plenty of roles for ex-players at the club in the roles of ambassadors, match day hosts etc. Huckerby must have decided he didn''t want to go down that route (yet) and decided to give it a go as a coach, possibly as a stepping stone to a future career in management.

Holt was quoted earlier this week about his new role at Lynn, suggesting that he wanted to be involved in coaching.

Sometimes it''s difficult for an ex-player to let go of their association with the club and its very tricky for supporters to let go of their memories too. Look what happened to Bryan Gunn, vilified following our relegation to League 1, but will always be a club legend in my eyes. Gladly, that ill-feeling towards him seems to be softening with Angus doing so well at the moment.

No ill feeling towards Gunny from me. Lovely bloke and a club legend. Not his fault those idiots appointed him after his caretaker spell.

But yes it is nice that his days as manager now seem to be firmly forgotten amongst fans. Was always a shame that was our last memory of him at the club.

Yes Jim, he took control of a sinking ship but didn''t have the skills to get it afloat again. Must admit, I had the same thoughts when I saw Huckerby had got involved. It never ends well for a manager, unless you''re Alex Ferguson.

Has to be difficult for a player to come to terms with not playing any more though, especially when you and your family are settled in a location you like. Huckerby''s probably fortunate enough to have made enough out of football to not have to go into a full-time salaried job like many ex-pros had to before the big money came into football - but he''s still only 41 and has a long future as an ex-player.

My word. This post is so out of touch with reality upon inspection. Some of my highlights are:

"I wonder if Mr Huckerby is just a little too popular in these parts for Mr Webber''s liking?"

^ utter and pure conjecture.

"As such, I think there is at least a small debt from NCFC to Mr. Huckerby"

^ uhmm what? They paid him for the job he did. Quite handsomenly I imagine. You didn''t see Juventus giving out handouts to Nedved currently based on when he stayed with them upon relegation.

I thought this was a football forum, to discuss football. Not a tabloid magazine critiquing coaches'' son''s twitter accounts...

Pity that the "lovely, amazing board who drink with us fans" do not have their roles removed for years of mismanagement failure & relegation which has led to this cost v=cutting exercise... Seems that for them it''s not ever a threat of the axe...

Hucks is a legend and after being screwed over by Delia & Michael twice, his statement shows the class he has in abundance which is clearly lacking in our owners.

On a final note Webber needs to deliver 100% or I for one will be calling loud & clear for his head.

Football, like all businesses, is prone to changes in personnel.

A new input is always needed, new broom and all that.

It''s particularly so in running a football club these days.

Whether or not complacency or under-performance had set in in the running of our youth development systems is irrelevant, and nothing unexceptional. The fact that Darren Huckerby is involved is irrelevant also, legend or not.

It is a fluctuating environment by necessity in today''s results- ridden business world which no longer resembles the admirable days of Dave Stringer and others.

It is no longer a comfortable, rather a hard-hearted, business and the reason we now have a CEO.

The current set-up seems to have been reasonably successful, despite rumours of indiscipline, but a new input could well be more so.

Nothing particularly controversial to be read into these changes in my opinion. It''s business.

I think waht has been reinforced in this is, that no player past or present is bigger than the club, i loved Hucks as a player with him and Bellamy 2 of the most exciting players to wear the yellow and green in recent memory. But that does not entitle them to salaries outside of what the club is prepared to pay.

Huck''s dignified classy statement, , was always one of my favourites in his playing days, so I''m sad for him & wish him well for whatever he does next

Posting on his @Hucks6DH6 Twitter account, the Canaries legend said: “While obviously disappointed to be leaving my role within the academy, it’s something that happens every day in football.

“I’d like to thank all of the staff, coaches, and players I’ve worked with over the years, I hope my professionalism, dedication and will to win rubbed off on a few of them.

“My loyalty and love for NCFC will never change, my association with the club will hopefully last forever. I’d like to wish the first time and academy staff all the best for the rest of the season, starting with three points against Hull on Saturday.

“See you there,

Hucks – On the Ball City!”

Agree was a class act from Hucks, when would be easier to say nothing or even have a moan. With Hucks you can always look back at his goals and think, wow what a palyer ! One of my favourites will always be the volley at the old National Hockey Stadium, a piece of pure brilliance on an afternoon of crap football in a crap stadium with a pretty crap atmosphere. Thats  what Hucks did, change games and win games by often lifting the whole team with moments of pure brilliance, a great player and a true NCFC Legend.His legend status IMO will never be in doubt, same as Gunny''s after his dabble with management, the club will move forwards and hopefully upwards, but ouir memories will remain.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Agree was a class act from Hucks, when would be easier to say nothing or even have a moan. With Hucks you can always look back at his goals and think, wow what a palyer ! One of my favourites will always be the volley at the old National Hockey Stadium, a piece of pure brilliance on an afternoon of crap football in a crap stadium with a pretty crap atmosphere. Thats  what Hucks did, change games and win games by often lifting the whole team with moments of pure brilliance, a great player and a true NCFC Legend.His legend status IMO will never be in doubt, same as Gunny''s after his dabble with management, the club will move forwards and hopefully upwards, but ouir memories will remain.[/quote]

Remember the game well as one of the coldest I''ve ever attended om that daft open stand. Fantastic goal.

But back to the matter in hand, let''s face it if this had been the assistant u16 coach (no I have no idea of who he is or if there is one) it would not even have raised a ripple on here. Just as the other 3 people rumoured to have left have barely been mentioned.

It is unfortunate when anyone loses their job but I think there is an over reaction here because it''s Hucks

[quote user="Year of the tiger"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Agree was a class act from Hucks, when would be easier to say nothing or even have a moan. With Hucks you can always look back at his goals and think, wow what a palyer ! One of my favourites will always be the volley at the old National Hockey Stadium, a piece of pure brilliance on an afternoon of crap football in a crap stadium with a pretty crap atmosphere. Thats  what Hucks did, change games and win games by often lifting the whole team with moments of pure brilliance, a great player and a true NCFC Legend.His legend status IMO will never be in doubt, same as Gunny''s after his dabble with management, the club will move forwards and hopefully upwards, but ouir memories will remain.[/quote]

Remember the game well as one of the coldest I''ve ever attended om that daft open stand. Fantastic goal.

But back to the matter in hand, let''s face it if this had been the assistant u16 coach (no I have no idea of who he is or if there is one) it would not even have raised a ripple on here. Just as the other 3 people rumoured to have left have barely been mentioned.

It is unfortunate when anyone loses their job but I think there is an over reaction here because it''s Hucks[/quote]
I was at that game too and it was a great goal and certainly freezing cold. 
Some of the stuff posted here and elsewhere is nuts. Other people who bled yellow & green for much longer have lost their jobs at the football club over the years. Some of these even celebrated by the same folk I''ve seen criticising this on social media. Hucks has been brilliant though. Total class act as always.
Oh and Jim Smith. Every time the club do something to annoy you, which seems to be all the time, you come out with this ''so called community club'' jibe. Do you even know what a community club is buddy?

Probably end up at the wide boys club at Kings Lynn. Why Holt and Lappin would want to be on a Saturday morning coach at 6 AM to travel for 4 to 7 hours to play in that league after all the money they earned in todays game seems amazing.

@DalyProbably end up at the wide boys club at Kings Lynn. Why Holt and Lappin

would want to be on a Saturday morning coach at 6 AM to travel for 4

to 7 hours to play in that league after all the money they earned in

todays game seems amazing.

Love of the game can be the best reason? like the fact that they are putting them,selves into that position even if it gives Kings Lynn an advantage over the rest of the league where travel budgets are often bigger than playing budgets. Fair play to them and Kings Lynn (as long as they dont go pop again)

Mike wrote the following post at 2017-10-12 6:03 PM:

On a final note Webber needs to deliver 100% or I for one will be calling loud & clear for his head.

What a totally bizarre post. Absolutely pathetic. How the hell did Delia and MWJ screw Huckerby over. And just what has Webber got to deliver 100%. He is, that’s why he’s getting rid of a few, so they can deliver. Supporters like you who expect immediate delivery are not needed. It’s about the bigger picture isn’t it! Fool.

Subject

With the transformation taking place at Colney The Man from Mulbarton now seems a distant memory. [;)] Anybody know what he is doing these days ?

From a fans'' point of view it doesn''t make a difference really - he is a legend and always will be, like Gunn - but from his point of view it is a door closing - and for someone like him, another door will open pretty quickly, maybe locally if he wants that, or if he is ambitious, further afield. Good luk to him.  If he finds something locally, like Dale Gordon and others, he can still keep a practical connection with the club while developing his career.  

It''s difficult to say until SW answers it directly, however it is an odd one and does have a touch of Roeder about it.

The obvious link is the way that we have got rid of Huckerby again but it''s more the sweeping changes that they both made... Roeder got rid of so many people - including the kit man - and abused his power in such a arrogant, destructive manner. I pray that SW isn''t like that, however part of me is doubting that all of these people were doing a bad job - or are incapable of adapting to the new ways of working. One way to tell if someone is a good leader is if they work with the people that are already in their team and help them to improve, instead of firing everyone and ripping the team apart.

The only reason that I can think of getting rid of DH is to cut costs. That''s purely speculation but until SW come out and explains it then that''s all we can do. Hucks has publically stated his coaching ambitions and is taking all of his badges to progress up the ladder. He clearly couldn''t have been doing a bad job, as he has been promoted to a higher age groups a couple of times over the past few years.

The loyalty argument is a mixed bag. Of course, if they are a bad coach then we should get rid but, for those on the outside and as I mentioned above, it seems like he was doing a good job. Having ''legends'' in and around the club is a huge plus in my view - and is commonly seen in many clubs (Gerrard at L''pool, Steve Bould, Darren Ferguson, Alex Ferguson''s backroom team was filled with people like McClair, Stam, Solskjaer, Butt etc). These are people who get the club, who have a connection, who have the respect of the youngsters who may well have idolised them a few years ago, who will go that bit further and who will certainly stick around when people like SW leave. They are part of the fabric of this club - and of the community - and can be trusted to do what is best for NCFC. That''s not necessarily a dig on SW or his staff, but he has so far hired people who he has worked with previously. When that happens, they usually jump ship soon after their employer leaves.

I think the timing of SW''s actions is a bit sly. He only does interviews every once in a while now and it so happens that it was scheduled just after our unbeaten run. He mentioned changes were going to happen, but only revealed the departures after the interview, indirectly through the club. His next interview will probably be in a couple of months, when everything has blown over a bit. I hope they ask him directly so that he can deliver an honest, open answer as he promised.

Despite all of the speculations, the proof will be in the pudding. He didn''t really go into detail about the changes into the academy and we probably won''t see the fruits of said changes for a few years anyway. All we can do is to hope for the best and pray that he doesn''t turn out to be anywhere near as bad as Roeder.