Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Ipswich last beat us in April 2009

There''s going to be more pressure on them being at home in front of their 22000 odd fans plus not having beaten us for 8 years.

We''ve won 4 away games Sheffield Uts, Brentford, Boro, Reading in a row and are on a good run so must be favourites to get something out of this game, can we make it 5?

Do we think a high scoring game or a boring 0-0 draw?

Who''s confident of a win and who''s not?

Not confident. Not as confident as the previous two promotion seasons anyway. There isn''t much between us now, as last season proved.

Hopefully we can play with a Derby day intensity... something I''m sure Mick will get from his team. We need to match that and let our quality come through as the game progresses. One thing I expect is an early onslaught from them, which we need to get through.

Maddison and Oliveria are likely to be key players, they need to keep cool as I can see their players targeting them for a reaction. Could be a game where Russ may be needed?

i certainly can''t see us losing it but think the likely outcome is a draw. Would be good to go a whole decade without losing to them!

If we''d played them in August, I shudder to think what might have happened. But with the new found resolve and defensive grit, I feel confident about this trip to the Bin Compound.

Clearly we''ll have to weather an early storm, but I fancy once our midfield get on the ball, we''ll be fine.

[quote user="Diane"]There''s going to be more pressure on them being at home in front of their 22000 odd fans plus not having beaten us for 8 years.

We''ve won 4 away games Sheffield Uts, Brentford, Boro, Reading in a row and are on a good run so must be favourites to get something out of this game, can we make it 5?

Do we think a high scoring game or a boring 0-0 draw? Who''s confident of a win and who''s not ?[/quote]I think i can give you a list of posters on here who are not Diane. [:D]

Generally I am positive about City but the derby is the exception where I always approach it with a bit of a feeling of dread in my stomach.  I guess this dates back to the period when we had some atrocious results and working in an office with some of them

I still remember vividly watching the 4-1 win under Lambert on the BBC and relishing how the commentators started off by going on about how the scummers squad was so much better than ours and as the game wore on, they just had to accept we were simply better as a team.  Then the 5-1 win was just dreamland.

I agree with the comment that back in August, 1p5wish were the ideal championship type of team that would have beaten us, given how we were playing then.  Now it''s looking a lot better.  But in a derby anything can happen.

[quote user="Diane"]There''s going to be more pressure on them being at home in front of their 22000 odd fans plus not having beaten us for 8 years.

Who''s confident of a win and who''s not?[/quote]odd ?I suppose that''s one way of describing them

Ridiculous to think they will never beat us again but I''m happy for the run to go on as long as possible.

I''d take a draw now 1-1.

But hope for a win 1-0.

[quote user="Diane"]22000 odd or ish meaning approx 22000[/quote]well well, you learn something everydaynext you''ll be telling me that starting threads about the binners means they are the only posts someone makes

Here''s a list of the first goal scorers in the last 12 Portman Road derbies:

Bellamy

Roberts

Mackay

McKenzie

Huckerby

Chadwick

Evans

Mooney

Surman

Grabban

Howson

Jerome

The last time they scored first against us at home was Alex Mathie 20 seasons ago!

With the continued absence of the more pessimistic among us, I reckon the Binners will beat National League bound City by a hatful. You couldn''t make it up🤔

Despite what Lincoln says, theres still quite a gap between our squad and ipswichs squad, but that is always less significant when its a derby.

Look, they have to beat us at some point. The main thing is despite changing the majority of our squad, the management, coaches, staff and entire club ethos - we will still finish above the scum.

Who''s confident of a win and who''s not?[/quote]I cannot see it being a high scoring game, if our past game (since Millwall have show).If we go one up we will simply close the game off, so it could be yet another 0-0.The only confidence I have is in the way way we are currently playing. That is not the ''rub of the green'' ......that is about getting the players to stick to theit task ... consistently.As to the result ? Well that can easily be determined by the width of a goal post, a dodgy decision (either way), a red card etc. That is what makes games what they are, and leads to the endless debate afterwards.As many have stated the ''rub of the green'' for us is that it is now, not August.So confident that we can win, but never so confident that we will (for the obvious reasons).

[quote user="hogesar"]Despite what Lincoln says, theres still quite a gap between our squad and ipswichs squad, but that is always less significant when its a derby.

Look, they have to beat us at some point. The main thing is despite changing the majority of our squad, the management, coaches, staff and entire club ethos - we will still finish above the scum.[/quote]True, but as C1 says in Derbies its often width of the goalpost stuff that decides it. They have to lift the bogey at some stage buts lets hope it goes on a bit longer.And I agree, we will finish above them.[Y]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="hogesar"]Despite what Lincoln says, theres still quite a gap between our squad and ipswichs squad, but that is always less significant when its a derby.

Look, they have to beat us at some point. The main thing is despite changing the majority of our squad, the management, coaches, staff and entire club ethos - we will still finish above the scum.[/quote]True, but as C1 says in Derbies its often width of the goalpost stuff that decides it. They have to lift the bogey at some stage buts lets hope it goes on a bit longer.And I agree, we will finish above them.[Y][/quote]it is as with most other games, depends what is seen as luck and which way it fallsI think some forget that the players may not share the ame passion for this game, as we do (many will not hardly have known about us before coming to the club)however what should be remembered is that the present mindset within the squad (and elsewhere), games are not won by some fanciful tosh about ''formations'' or table placings, much comes down to the application and determination during the game, hence the oft tepeated " we wanted it more than them" - some may remember the 6-0 defeat on the last day at Fulhamnone of this is new or revolutionary, it''s just football at this level has attracted a huge number of ''fans'' who have little idea of that an so seek an explanation though numbers and ''stats'' (shyte)how many times did we see late goals under Lambert ? how many time have we now seen no goal (or one) conceded under Farke that is what the recent change has been at the club - too many senior players had lost that concentration "are we supposed to know who you are ?"hunger or however else to wish to refer to it asas to the game, we have our Mojo back and that is down to off field work, as without players who have that application to succeed then what chance is there ? that''s then about recruiting the right players so once they are on the pitch they will fight for the full 90 minswe have that now

That would make sense if it werent for the fact:

1) Managers and coaches regularly talk about formations so unfortunately they''re relevant.

2) The stats you refer to as ''shyte'' are sought after, researched and invested in to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds by the best clubs in the world, and clubs like our own.

It seems you may be the naive one, who cant accept the fact there may be complexities to football and you simply can''t comprehend them.

[quote user="hogesar"]That would make sense if it werent for the fact:

1) Managers and coaches regularly talk about formations so unfortunately they''re relevant.

2) The stats you refer to as ''shyte'' are sought after, researched and invested in to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds by the best clubs in the world, and clubs like our own.

It seems you may be the naive one, who cant accept the fact there may be complexities to football and you simply can''t comprehend them.[/quote]oh dear

Presumed that would be your response. On you go fella, there''s some great books on football tactics if you fancy some bedtime reading. Might even learn something!

No result would particularly surprise me here but clearly we are capable of winning. Bit of a cliché but in this one I do think the crowd and noise could play a part, if they get a head of steam, and they have been scoring goals, it could be a tough one. Our run does have to end. But with Trybull and Tettey and hopefully Stiepermann back we should be fine provided that we don''t go for a lightweight attacking midfield. We have momentum and with another two weeks with Farke should be even stronger.

[quote user="hogesar"]Presumed that would be your response. On you go fella, there''s some great books on football tactics if you fancy some bedtime reading. Might even learn something![/quote]if only you knew

[quote user="Dr Whats on"][quote user="hogesar"]Presumed that would be your response. On you go fella, there''s some great books on football tactics if you fancy some bedtime reading. Might even learn something![/quote]if only you knew[/quote]What''s that then, that you know everything already ?

Tilly you wont be able to call City 1st "Strap On " anymore cause he''s Rhubarb now [:)]
Moving on lets have a prediction competition as to the attendance on Sunday, I ll go for 23750
They seem to think it will be less down the road
[url]https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/415861/page:2/#42[/url]

It really doesn''t matter what he calls himself Diane his know it all posting style is there for all to see. Same $hite just put in a different bucket.Awaits a Youtube piggy video link.......yawn.By the way my crowd guess is 22875.

By the way my crowd guess is 22875.Dont think yesterdays results will help the crowd next week, i think 21,000 will be big for them, and every chance it doesnt break the 20,000 mark [:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]It really doesn''t matter what he calls himself Diane his know it all posting style is there for all to see. Same $hite just put in a different bucket.Awaits a Youtube piggy video link.......yawn.By the way my crowd guess is 22875.[/quote]oh dear, you do seem rather upset .... againyou should be more careful... stress can be a killer (bad for the old ticker),it can over excite some, as seen here 40 secshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVV7hfbYOsg&index=1&list=RDxVV7hfbYOsg

I''d settle for a draw this time around ... a bore draw at that.

It would do no good at all for their confidence and their attendances and would maintain our unbeaten run.

It could, of course, go either way it''s a derby game after all, it''s a Championship game after all and injuries to key players could be crucial also.

My big concern is our clear lack of goal scoring. Two seems to be our absolute maximum this season at the moment. ITFC, for the first time in ages, have proven to be quite prolific up front when at full strength.

If they fluke a couple I just cannot see us winning. However, the wind is definitely in our sails at the moment.

0-0. Get it out of the way whilst retaining bragging rights.

A point there then full steam ahead towards the top spot by Xmas.

Hic!