Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Expectations!

Striking the difference in the changed attitude of our people and the way that expectations of the fickle football fan have been managed by Messrs Webber and Farke. Yesterdays result under previous regimes, playing against a poor(ish) side (they were slaughtered 5-0 up here and looked awful) and 10 men for 20m plus would have been met with a chorus of boos at the final whistle instead of the euphoria that we heard as we scraped a draw!

Webber''s early announcement that we can expect little activity in the January window is a further example of that management of expectation.

To offset disappointment he claims however that much work has been done in identifying suitable targets for the Summer and even that discussions with agents etc has already started! Much as I admire this man, particularly with his forward planning I suggest that this has a whiff of exaggeration about it. How can he decide on suitable candidates without first knowing which division we will be operating in. Unless of course he has a good idea and perhaps a plan A and/or B!

What would you think ? Plans based on either the club being in the PL, Championship or LI ? That''s not '' a whiff of exaggeration '' merely a reflection of possible happenings.Yesterday''s euphoria was about when we scored and the build up. A 1-1 with our goal being scored before theirs might not have been greeted so euphorically

Webber managing expectations was probably the logical thing to do. We certainly shouldn’t be expecting promotion, or any easy points - home or away.

Sheff Utd probably thought we would be a home banker when we rolled up.

The unity in the team appears as good as it has been since the playoffs, and the battling until the final whistle a long way from last seasons capitulation at Brighton.

[quote user="FCC"]Webber managing expectations was probably the logical thing to do. We certainly shouldn’t be expecting promotion, or any easy points - home or away.

Sheff Utd probably thought we would be a home banker when we rolled up.

The unity in the team appears as good as it has been since the playoffs, and the battling until the final whistle a long way from last seasons capitulation at Brighton.[/quote]That is the difference. Too many times we seem to give up last season.At the moment no club is really breaking through. Fridays results of Bristol held at home, Cardiff beaten and yesterday Leeds beaten at home Weds beaten ... all by those from the bottom end of the table.I don''t think anybody is expecting promotion, more a case that we are in with a chance. As with points. The team have shown that every point has to be ground out. Whilst we can snatch an away goal then hang on so can teams at Carrow Road, or even just hang on to a 0-0.The players we currently have want to win rather than those last season who had an expectation of a win if not promotion.

Must be disappointed with that last minute goal Derby. I bet you had an awesome negative post ready to go and that goal meant you had to go back and edit it to this bollox.

Hoola Han Solo wrote the following post

"not good enough breaking down teams to get anywhere near top two"

Yet!

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Expectation for me is that we will improve as the season goes on, i don''t see us going backwards, so in truth playoffs now seem a reasonable expectation.[/quote]Off topic Lessingham but i must say you scrubbed up well yesterday suited and booted in the directors box. [:P]