Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Prem problem ahead

Now that there is a good chance of the play offs the club will have the nice problem of what to do if we gain promotion again.Can we somehow find a way to stay up for more than one season with a budget which again would mean loans and untested players.Only a few of our current team would be able to step up a level.With planning it can be done and the rewards would be huge for club and fans.

In the event of promotion Stuart Webber will have more of a plan than anybody in recent times at Colney....for sure.

I''m sure Stuart Webber will already have plans ready in the event of that actually happening!

We fans should only need to worry about that when it actually happens and certainly not in mid October!

Wow, it’s October and people think we will be in the play offs already! There is a long way to go yet and the most interesting thing for me will be to see how the players brought in from Germany cope with the weather and the pitches our Winter brings as they will be totally new to it! The time to think about play offs will be around February surely if we are still there or thereabouts!

As for Mr Webber having a plan for it, I would think he would need to get Steve Stone to take out a rather large loan if we did get promoted as it would cost a helluva lot of money to upgrade the squad to play in the top flight!

[quote user="mr footy"]A football club should plan for the next3to5 seasons minimum. Not to do so would be madness.

.[/quote]yes, because we all know where a club will be in 5 years time

[quote user="Baldyboy"]see how the players brought in from Germany cope with the weather and the pitches our Winter brings as they will be totally new to it![/quote]Yeah, they didn''t do too well at Stalingrad. [:)]

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Wow, it’s October and people think we will be in the play offs already! There is a long way to go yet and the most interesting thing for me will be to see how the players brought in from Germany cope with the weather and the pitches our Winter brings as they will be totally new to it! The time to think about play offs will be around February surely if we are still there or thereabouts!

As for Mr Webber having a plan for it, I would think he would need to get Steve Stone to take out a rather large loan if we did get promoted as it would cost a helluva lot of money to upgrade the squad to play in the top flight![/quote]yes, if only there was another source of money once clubs reach the PL

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Baldyboy"]see how the players brought in from Germany cope with the weather and the pitches our Winter brings as they will be totally new to it![/quote]Yeah, they didn''t do too well at Stalingrad. [:)][/quote]Not even Messi could cope with a freezing cold & wet Tuesday night in Stalingrad. [:D]

Not too good in hot weather either. My great uncle was with Monty and he said the Germans were no where to be seen. Mind you he was working in the Naafi after the war in Cairo but you will get my drift

[quote user="mr footy"]Now that there is a good chance of the play offs the club will have the nice problem of what to do if we gain promotion again.[/quote]Not something that I''m going to worry about this side of the new year.34 games to go.

So Rhubarb, do we not need players as the season starts? You only get the money when the season ends, so how else are we going to fund the players we would need to bring in? I look forward to hearing where the money will come from BEFORE the season starts!

[quote user="Baldyboy"]So Rhubarb, do we not need players as the season starts? You only get the money when the season ends, so how else are we going to fund the players we would need to bring in? I look forward to hearing where the money will come from BEFORE the season starts![/quote]The tv money is paid in stages as the season progresses.If you check the accounts you will see that we owe clubs for players and visa versa.The loans you talk of imply that the funding for players will be by borrowing money ie we won''t have the money.

If we got promoted it would be a miracle.

I think the club would take immediate relegation as a risk as the TV money we would get, and those parachute payments on top, could do wonders for use for 2-3 seasons, which we can then use to build on the work we have already done.

I wouldn’t expect us to suddenly buy 3 players for 10 million plus

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]If we got promoted it would be a miracle.

I think the club would take immediate relegation as a risk as the TV money we would get, and those parachute payments on top, could do wonders for use for 2-3 seasons, which we can then use to build on the work we have already done.

I wouldn’t expect us to suddenly buy 3 players for 10 million plus[/quote]More likely than the L1 many were forecasting a few weeks back. At the moment no club is walking away with it.I think we would carry on as we are now. Sort of steady as she goes. No huge signings, just finding the right players and developing others.It is more the mindset of the players that count rather than any price tag alone. The same mindset that had us under Lambert still throwing everything at the opposition until the final whistle, as was yesterday.One of the things that has been overlooked is that we do not seem to have a scape goat at the moment. Players like Husband and Wildebeest and confounding their critics. All seem not only up for the cause, but more than able to deliver. And that''s what gives me the confidence to believe that we are more than up for the challenge of promotion.

[quote user="Rhubarb"][quote user="Baldyboy"]So Rhubarb, do we not need players as the season starts? You only get the money when the season ends, so how else are we going to fund the players we would need to bring in? I look forward to hearing where the money will come from BEFORE the season starts![/quote]The tv money is paid in stages as the season progresses.If you check the accounts you will see that we owe clubs for players and visa versa.The loans you talk of imply that the funding for players will be by borrowing money ie we won''t have the money.[/quote]

The tv money may be paid in stages but there is a transfer window in place which is a bit of a drawback to your theory really isn’t it?

As for clubs owing us and us owing them that’s really going to help too isn’t it so another of your theories blown out of the water!

So come on then Rhubarb answer the question I previously asked, where is the money required by Sep 1st going to come from?

"The tv money may be paid in stages but there is a transfer window in

place which is a bit of a drawback to your theory really isn’t it?

As for clubs owing us and us owing them that’s really going to help

too isn’t it so another of your theories blown out of the water!

So come on then Rhubarb answer the question I previously asked, where is the money required by Sep 1st going to come from?"
oh dear Transfer fees not NOT paid on the dot, that is why clubs owe us money and visa versa.I am not sure why this very simple concept seems to elude youBut then, perhaps much else does as well

It doesn’t elude me at all, you mentioned tv money which is paid in stages. As for they owe us and we owe them that is dependent on the structure of the deal, you as per usual miss the point in that a squad needs to be in place by Sept 1st, you cannot add to it after that even though money comes in maybe monthly, so once again I will ask you how do we pay for the required players needed to upgrade this squad to a Premier standard?

No doubt you will answer with an insult as per usual which is why most people think you are a prick on this message board 😊

Will worry about that when it comes to it. We still have a few Orem quality players tho that we could build around like Pritchard, Oliveira, Pinto, Klose and the likes of Maddison and Murphy could probably step up.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]It doesn’t elude me at all, you mentioned tv money which is paid in stages. As for they owe us and we owe them that is dependent on the structure of the deal, you as per usual miss the point in that a squad needs to be in place by Sept 1st, you cannot add to it after that even though money comes in maybe monthly, so once again I will ask you how do we pay for the required players needed to upgrade this squad to a Premier standard?

No doubt you will answer with an insult as per usual which is why most people think you are a prick on this message board 😊[/quote]Unlike you I haven''t spoke to most people on this board, and I can''t be ar sed to try and explain something so simple.I would call you an idiot but that wouldn''t be of much use as that couldn''t be considered an insult, just a statement of fact.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]It doesn’t elude me at all, you mentioned tv money which is paid in stages. As for they owe us and we owe them that is dependent on the structure of the deal, you as per usual miss the point in that a squad needs to be in place by Sept 1st, you cannot add to it after that even though money comes in maybe monthly, so once again I will ask you how do we pay for the required players needed to upgrade this squad to a Premier standard?

No doubt you will answer with an insult as per usual which is why most people think you are a prick on this message board 😊[/quote]You can sign players after the transfer window closes providing they do not have a contract with another club.

I don''t object to us achieveing the yo-yo status for a few seasons.

A moderate venture into the transfer market along with a very hefty bonus related incentive scheme for the players might be all that''s needed to survive in any case. We have also got a bevy of youngsters who might revel in the chance of self-enhancement ... Madisson, Thompson, Godfrey, Efete, Cantwell, Lewis etc.

What better opportunity to exploit this bank account of young talent? It has been pointed out that we perhaps already have a few of Roeder''s in-betweeners.

Why need we be hung up about a quick return to the Chumps if we do get promoted?

We might survive quite frugally, we might not. If we don''t we will at least get more television money and then parachute money to help us along, it won''t be boring and the increased coverage involved; MotD, Live Sky (and weekly streams) would go down well with me at least after the relative lack of exposure that Championship football gives.

At the same time the club will hopefully get stronger by the season ... step by step.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]In the event of promotion Stuart Webber will have more of a plan than anybody in recent times at Colney....for sure.[/quote]

There is no plan that will work unless it is backed by serious money.

Everyone should know by now that if you get promoted to the EPL you practically have to buy a complete new team that is equipped for the challenge. If you are going to go around buying the likes of Dorrans and Jarvis and then expect to survive then you are living with cuckoos in a cloud.

And of course this all comes back to same issue. The club cannot get to the next level and stay there until the SS step aside and make way for the sheikhs.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="TIL 1010"]In the event of promotion Stuart Webber will have more of a plan than anybody in recent times at Colney....for sure.[/quote]

Everyone should know by now that if you get promoted to the EPL you practically have to buy a complete new team that is equipped for the challenge. If you are going to go around buying the likes of Dorrans and Jarvis and then expect to survive then you are living with cuckoos in a cloud.

And of course this all comes back to same issue. The club cannot get to the next level and stay there until the SS step aside and make way for the sheikhs.[/quote]Well said pig mince.It was only us buying "a complete new team" that kept us up in 11/12. Not for us keeping players who had helped us out of L1. No sirree.

ps what a shame others do no recognise your astute grasp of things, but seem to regard you as a clueless halfwit

[quote user="Rhubarb"][quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="TIL 1010"]In the event of promotion Stuart Webber will have more of a plan than anybody in recent times at Colney....for sure.[/quote]

And of course this all comes back to same issue. The club cannot get to the next level and stay there until the SS step aside and make way for the sheikhs.[/quote]Well said pig mince.It was only us buying "a complete new team" that kept us up in 11/12. Not for us keeping players who had helped us out of L1. No sirree.

ps what a shame others do no recognise your astute grasp of things, but seem to regard you as a clueless halfwit[/quote]

So what about the Worthy, Hughton and Neil relegations?

Lack of quality tells in the end.

"Lack of quality tells in the end."as your posts ably demonstrate

(though cynics might suggest sanity might be a more apt word)

I would expect Webber to have some plans there in the event of various scenarios. One could be the unexpected, and still long way off and unlikely, promotion. I was amazed when Alex Neil complained of not having enough time because the play offs meant the season ended late. The new structure should allow Webber to think this through seriously so the same lack of preparation doesn''t happen again.

So far it looks as though this season could be one of those classics with everything going close to the wire.