Sign in to follow this  
curious yellow

Todd Cantwell

Well done Todd.

When these young lads eventually come on the pitch, lets give them our maximum support in order to keep their confidence levels up.

OTBC. Stuff the Binners!

[quote user="curious yellow"]Congratulations to Todd Cantwell on his selection for the first team. Fantastic prospect and rapid progress. Much midfield talent in the U23s[/quote]Cantwell is nearly 20, and has been touted as a prospect for a good couple of years now. I know some players are later developers than others (look at Ryan Mason, for example), but the fact he''s been on the fringes for a while and can''t get into our squad until there''s an injury crisis implies he''s not going to be good enough. Would love to be proven wrong, of course, but I''d expect Glenn Middleton to be the one who breaks through from the current crop of talented midfielders.

It''s an interesting topic as there hasn''t been a huge amount of chance for these guys to get some first team game time here, especially with all the new players needing to play regularly to bed in. But remember both Murphy''s were 21 before they broke into the first team, Maddison was 20... not many have broken through before turning twenty in recent years. Last one that comes to mind was probably Korey Smith who was 19/20 when we dropped into League One.

Like Godfrey and Jamal Lewis (also 19), Cantwell is part of the next crop of youngsters and we''ll probably see them closer to the squad as the season plays out and almost certainly get a good look at their potential come next pre-season. I think all 3 stand a chance of becoming first team players which is a really nice potential to have compared to previous years, Lewis would almost certainly have been involved this season so far had he not got injured in pre-season as he was certainly preferred over Toffolo who was shipped out on loan. In any case he is essentially still our 2nd recognised LB behind Husband as Steipermann, although he can play there, is predominantly a midfielder.

Glenn Middleton is only 17(?) I believe, so will probably be a few more years before we see him involved properly.