Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

Ipswich Town wins appeal over matchday policing

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich-town-wins-appeal-over-matchday-policing-costs-1-5230342

I don''t profess to know the ins and outs of the debts and financial situation of our neighbours, but part of me thinks there''s a bit more to it than just taking this to court to avoid paying them on match days.

But, putting the rivalry aside, this will have implications if other clubs follow suit. Just look what happened at Sheffield last month.

Can someone clicky for me please...

It does seem to be a system open to abuse, when the police say how many officers that need for an event, then expect someone else to pay for it. 

It appears to be a fairly narrow dispute though over who pays for the policing on the roads immediately outside the ground though.

I look forward to emerging onto Portman Road after the game next week to be greeted by zero policemen and a hoarde of baying sc*m fans as the police reduce numbers on that road because the sc*m won''t pay for it!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]It appears to be a fairly narrow dispute though over who pays for the policing on the roads immediately outside the ground though.

I look forward to emerging onto Portman Road after the game next week to be greeted by zero policemen and a hoarde of baying sc*m fans as the police reduce numbers on that road because the sc*m won''t pay for it![/quote]I think we went through this with McNallyI can understand the binners, as for most home games they employ a half or dozen blokes in green John Deere boiler suits to herd the docile fans towards the turnstiles thne after the game away from the groundThe usual method is waving their arms and shouting "get up there"

But the police had the last laugh. Two break-ins at Portaloo Road in a week.

[quote user="djc"]But the police had the last laugh. Two break-ins at Portaloo Road in a week.[/quote]Police have said today that CCTV footage suggests one of the suspects was wearing a smock, chewing what looked like a piece of straw and had string tied round the bottom of his trousers.

They have narrowed the suspects down to around 100,000 blokes.

It is an interesting topic of debate. The police are there to protect us everyday but you could argue that the Derby for example isn''t an ''everyday'' event. That said, do they charge events such as Cromer Carnival etc.?

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]looks like the police will be spending a lot of money Police helicopter and horses !http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/police-issue-advice-for-east-anglian-derby-1-5240581[/quote]I don''t think it is as bad as it could be. I should imagine the helicopter will only be used (if at all) before and maybe after the game. Could be a nice little earner getting fans to pay for a ride over the ground.Apart from the odd scuffle and a few over excited farmhands full of local moonshine it is pretty much good humoured on both sides.The classic mistake of having an evening game before a bank holiday (2010) has never been repeated, and so name calling behind a line of coppers is the worst it gets. part of the day out for many, but nothing really to worry about. Other local pride (and 3 points) there is not much at stake this early.Still, a good win will be most welcome from this side of the Waveney.

" it is pretty much good humoured on both sides " .............Spoken by someone who quite obviously has not visited Scum HQ for many a year.

Thanks to Met police horses,a helicoptor and mutual aid from Norwich. Without that it would be carnage and i have yet to see "good humour" on the station forecourt,outside the turnstiles and where the road splits towards the old Drum and Monkey. That experience comes with both wearing a uniform and not without even thinking when i last missed a derby match which must be circa 1970.

Its not what it used to be thats for sure but they dropped a clanger last year by segregating the fans for a few hundred yards up Portman Road and then all segregation/police effectively disappearing after that.

So you had both sets of fans hurling abuse at each other one minute then suddenly finding themselves face to face the next.

Policing Portman Road for our game ought to be a piece of cake really, they just need to line the road back to the station with plenty of police and keep the bulk of the sc*m off there until our fans are back on the train or in their coaches. Just like they generally manage to do at Carrow Road with Lower Clarence Road.