Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

The Nelson Oliveira dilemma

Having seen Chambers hit back with some pretty below the belt comments about Nelson ("not very well educated")how do you handle that on Sunday if you are Farke?

He''s our best striker and biggest goal threat. I would fancy a pumped up Nelson to give their defence a torrid time and he''s bound to be pumped after Chamber''s comments. However he''s also a red card candidate if he can;t control that emotion.

Do you use the situation and unleash Nelson from the start or hold him back and use him as a sub on the basis he''s a big red card risk if he starts?

If you play them both surely you could get both hard work and goals. Probably not the right game to start two up front but I can''t understand how we don''t change to a more attacking format when playing certain teams. I''d go with Oliviera but also think it will come down to his injury.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Having seen Chambers hit back with some pretty below the belt comments about Nelson ("not very well educated")how do you handle that on Sunday if you are Farke?[/quote]"They’re obviously not very well educated on the fact that I think there’s three stars above the Ipswich crest on our shirt".Nelson was talking about the present and once again their only response it to resort to history. [:|]

@andrew

Two up front doesn''t always mean more attacking - especially as to do that you''d probably have to sacrifice one of the attacking midfielders.

Not only is he talking about the past he obviously "isn''t that well educated" himself since he has to put an '' I think'' in there...

I was also thinking the same thing, Jim. I''d have said start with Nelson a few days ago but I fear him getting sent off (and we really need him for the Arsenal game too). I''d start CamJam, he knows what these games are all about, and I''d back him to score too. Nelson on as a substitute. But if I knew he wouldn''t get sent off in what is going to be a spicy atmosphere, then I''d have started Nels from the start. Pure class.

They’re obviously not very well educated on the fact that I think there’s three stars above the Ipswich crest on our shirt.

One for every local supplier we shafted...

An unflattering view on Ipswich''s ''3 Stars''

https://talksport.com/stars-and-gripes-clubs-ridiculous-symbols-their-shirts-including-man-united-liverpool-ipswich-and#

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Nelson is still not 100% so save him for last 25 minutes or so.[/quote]I think that is more the case.However if we can''t beat the binners with who we have available then why have we signed them ? They will have to come at us. A game where Jerome benefits. He''s a habit of robbing defenders and then scoring.If they stick with their hoof ball game they will struggle as the ball will be collected then stay with City.Whilst no game is ever a certainty I would suggest folk ask themselves why they have lost 6 out of their last 8 games ..... and we have won 5 out of our last 8 and drawn the other three. Unbeaten in 8 games.It is not necessarily about who is more confident, but who has been more competent.

[quote user="Eccles from Beccles"]Well, Millwall played hoofball, the ball stayed with us for 72% of the match but Millwall didn''t struggle, in fact they beat us 4-0.[/quote]We might just have improved in the games since theneight games unbeaten does tend to tell it''s own story

This is what Talksport say

IPSWICH TOWN''S THREE TROPHY STARS

Ipswich Town have three stars on their shirt. Does this signify three top flight titles like Huddersfield? Nope. Multiple European success, like Liverpool? Nah. A hat-trick of FA Cups? No chance. Ipswich''s three stars commemorate the three major trophies they''ve won; the First Division in 1962, FA Cup in 1978 and UEFA Cup in 1981. Why not chuck in the 1973 Texaco Cup win? Or the three Suffolk Premier Cups in 1968, ''69 and ''70? These have got to be the most ridiculous stars since the last series of Big Brother.

Read more at https://talksport.com/stars-and-gripes-clubs-ridiculous-symbols-their-shirts-including-man-united-liverpool-ipswich-and#F4BDhIz4CWBl6YpK.99

[quote user="Eccles from Beccles"]Well, Millwall played hoofball, the ball stayed with us for 72% of the match but Millwall didn''t struggle, in fact they beat us 4-0.[/quote]

This is my concern. I think they are quite similar to Millwall in terms of how they will play. Direct, high intensity and looking to unsettle our CB''s. A big test this for our new found CB partnership. If they can play well then we should win (or at least not lose) because we have more quality in midfield and on the ball.

Not sure we should start Nelson. Yes I know he is our best striker & most likely goalscorer but the way we have played away recently - 3 great wins away from home as well - we have relied on Jerome''s workrate. Will playing Nelson affect that style of play, perhaps leaving us more open?

Thats the only dilemma.

I expect him to start Jerome for that reason. I think the plan will be to play Jerome (who has a good record v the sc*m) for at least an hour and then bring on Nelson if we need him for a second half burst.

Dilemma/dilemna, tomayto/tomarto, Jerome/Oliveira.

Difficult one.

I think that i''s been obvious (from the opening day fixture) that Farke prefers Cameron over Nelson for the starting line up in away games.

Nelson has a habit of refuting this though with his consistent goal scoring.

The first goal, as ever, could be vital and Oliveira''s sharper edge might be missed in this respect if he is sat on the bench for the first hour.

However, Jerome''s overall contribution might be useful in helping to restrain an initial rush of blood from the home team.

Above all else though a striker is in the team to strike and we all know who is the best at that.

*oi dow''t noo."