Sign in to follow this  
Big Vince

Big Broom Needed in Boardroom

It just goes to show the incompetence of the Board that it has taken the arrival of the boy Webber to point out all the things that are wrong with the academy.

What have the Board been doing the last 10, 15, 20 years regarding youth development? Why has there been no effective scrutiny over the people employed to run the academy? What is the point of Category One status if it doesn''t produce anyone? The academy should have been producing at least one first teamer every season.

The youth system that was set up by John Bond and carried on through to the end of the Chase era produced far more top talent: the Fashanus, Reeves, Barham, Mendham, Haylock, Donowa, Gordon, Fox, Eadie, Sutton, O''Neill, etc.

The problem with this Board is that they are consistently clueless about anything going on underneath them. I trust that this year''s AGM will see directors putting themselves up for de-selection from the Board.

[quote user="Big Vince"]I trust that this year''s AGM will see directors putting themselves up for de-selection from the Board.[/quote]And I trust you''ll be there demanding it...........

I suppose the idiot assumes that the changes will make all the difference, maybe he should wait to see before he starts slating anyone.

[quote user="Red Rufus"]I suppose the idiot assumes that the changes will make all the difference, maybe he should wait to see before he starts slating anyone.[/quote]

I don''t think we need to give this Board any more waiting time.

We all know by now what their weaknesses are because the same mistakes have been made over and over.

[quote user="Big Vince"]It just goes to show the incompetence of the Board that it has taken the arrival of the boy Webber to point out all the things that are wrong with the academy.

What have the Board been doing the last 10, 15, 20 years regarding youth development? Why has there been no effective scrutiny over the people employed to run the academy? What is the point of Category One status if it doesn''t produce anyone? The academy should have been producing at least one first teamer every season.

The youth system that was set up by John Bond and carried on through to the end of the Chase era produced far more top talent: the Fashanus, Reeves, Barham, Mendham, Haylock, Donowa, Gordon, Fox, Eadie, Sutton, O''Neill, etc.

The problem with this Board is that they are consistently clueless about anything going on underneath them. I trust that this year''s AGM will see directors putting themselves up for de-selection from the Board.[/quote]
Absolutely clueless simple simon comparison. Every village has one....

[quote user="Big Vince"]The youth system that was set up by John Bond and carried on through to the end of the Chase era produced far more top talent: the Fashanus, Reeves, Barham, Mendham, Haylock, Donowa, Gordon, Fox, Eadie, Sutton, O''Neill, etc.[/quote]Kevin Reeves was 20 when we signed him from Bournemouth.Keith O''Neill was 18 when he joined.No different to when we signed Redmond, Maddison and several others.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Big Vince"]The youth system that was set up by John Bond and carried on through to the end of the Chase era produced far more top talent: the Fashanus, Reeves, Barham, Mendham, Haylock, Donowa, Gordon, Fox, Eadie, Sutton, O''Neill, etc.[/quote]Kevin Reeves was 20 when we signed him from Bournemouth.Keith O''Neill was 18 when he joined.No different to when we signed Redmond, Maddison and several others.

[/quote]

Still doesn''t do enough to overturn the thrust of the OP.

Bottom line is we used to homegrow, but stopped doing so a long time ago.

No top player produced since Bellamy nearly 20 years ago.

[quote user="Big Vince"]It just goes to show the incompetence of the Board that it has taken the arrival of the boy Webber to point out all the things that are wrong with the academy.

The problem with this Board is that they are consistently clueless about anything going on underneath them. I trust that this year''s AGM will see directors putting themselves up for de-selection from the Board.[/quote]Would that be the youth set up that had to be closed down immediately after Chase quit as their was no money to run it ?

Vince, your obsession to find something bad to pin on the majority shareholders is getting desperate.  Suggest you need counselling to help you get over it, as holding such a grudge as yours cannot be good for you.   I don''t know if it''s based on jealousy, or you just have a chip on your shoulder, but you really ought to let it go.  [}]

You know where you can put that big broom pig mince

brush head first

Unless you''re a Crewe or Southampton what is the point in an academy when we can just cherry pick the likes of Madders/Redmond from wherever we want. Let everyone else do the hard work and we''ll pick them on the way up, rather than throwing money at shooting fish in a barrel.

Rather they spent the money on euromillions tickets, If you''re good enough you''re old enough!

I''d argue our academy has nothing to do with the Murphy boys success they would have made it at any other championship team not because of our environment but because they had talent. If not we''d be churning out Murphys year on year but we don''t.

We nurture players no better than any other club or we''d of had a season in Europe and could tell Van Dijk to sit down and shut up.

There''s too many rubbish footballers robbing a living, we need a more competitive way to grow young home grown talent. I''d like a system where the best of the best all go to a central academy to develop with the UKs top coaches and then teams get to draft them NFL style when they''re 16.

Teaching them how to be decent human beings in the process wouldn''t go a miss.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Big Vince"]I trust that this year''s AGM will see directors putting themselves up for de-selection from the Board.[/quote]And I trust you''ll be there demanding it...........[/quote]He won''t, because he''s a coward, a liar and a keyboard warrior.

Unless you''re a Crewe or Southampton what is the point in an academy

when we can just cherry pick the likes of Madders/Redmond from wherever

we want. Let everyone else do the hard work and we''ll pick them on the

way up, rather than throwing money at shooting fish in a barrel.
Both of them cost millions and no doubt came with quite large sell on clauses.I suspect many of the ''lesser players'' we have recently signed came because of our acadamy ie development.And if we were not CAT 1 we would not be able to ''plunder'' other clubs younger players. So we have to run an academy.That''s all.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Vince, your obsession to find something bad to pin on the majority shareholders is getting desperate.  Suggest you need counselling to help you get over it, as holding such a grudge as yours cannot be good for you.   I don''t know if it''s based on jealousy, or you just have a chip on your shoulder, but you really ought to let it go.  [}]

[/quote]

Would you please concentrate on the issue rather than the poster.

Look, the boy Webber has just said the academy is no good so it is perfectly reasonable to pin its failings on the Board as they were all here long before Webber.

I assume the Board do run this club because the responses on here would indicate that it is me who is in a parallel universe and the Board don''t have anything to do with the club.

So who do you blame for appointing the man who supposedly claims the academy is ''no good'' ?

[quote user="Rhubarb"]So who do you blame for appointing the man who supposedly claims the academy is ''no good'' ?[/quote]

Webber was Ballsup''s idea.

Ballsup was Wynnie''s idea.

So Wynnie has appointed people to tell him that his dolls'' house is no good.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="Rhubarb"]So who do you blame for appointing the man who supposedly claims the academy is ''no good'' ?[/quote]

Webber was Ballsup''s idea.

Ballsup was Wynnie''s idea.

So Wynnie has appointed people to tell him that his dolls'' house is no good.[/quote]And you could have told Wynnie all this at no cost.I am surprised your intellect on this matter is not more widely sort

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Maybe would could post the quote where Webber said the academy was " no good " ?[/quote]

“You look at how the academy is measured and audited nationally and in terms of producing players we are not good enough. The facts are there. (Pink Un 12 Oct)

The club is very keen to retain its category one EPPP status and are taking steps to try and improve the output of its academy. (Pink Un 12 Oct)

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Maybe would could post the quote where Webber said the academy was " no good " ?[/quote]

“You look at how the academy is measured and audited nationally and in terms of producing players we are not good enough. The facts are there. (Pink Un 12 Oct)

The club is very keen to retain its category one EPPP status and are taking steps to try and improve the output of its academy. (Pink Un 12 Oct)[/quote]oh dear poor old pig mincethe words not good enough and no good are not the sameArsenal were not good enough to win the title last season, it doesn''t mean they were no good

In a roundabout way Vince is right - why has it taken so long to notice the academy wasn''t pulling its weight?

I would guess, it''s my guesswork entirely so if it comes across naïve then whatever, but the money and focus was pushed towards staying in the Premier League those times we were up and diverted from the academy and it''s development. Who develops the developers if you like.

The priority in that view was PL stability refocus on the academy. Unfortunately we know how the story ended. But on the flip side, better late than never with Webber''s overhaul and hopefully we can, in future, start producing better talent for development.

[quote user="Rhubarb"][quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Maybe would could post the quote where Webber said the academy was " no good " ?[/quote]

The club is very keen to retain its category one EPPP status and are taking steps to try and improve the output of its academy. (Pink Un 12 Oct)[/quote]oh dear poor old pig mincethe words not good enough and no good are not the sameArsenal were not good enough to win the title last season, it doesn''t mean they were no good[/quote]

Of course Arsenal are no good by their standard as they haven''t won the EPL since Henry.

Similarly, we are now no good by our standard as we used to produce Bellamys, Suttons, Eadies, Gordons, etc.

All of whom we soldShame we haven''t produced any player that we have sold for a huge fee recently