Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

U23's Tonight

I see Russell Martin is getting a run out against Southampton U23''s tonight. Good to see. Its 1 nil already!McGovern; Aarons, Martin, Odusina, Kamal; Phillips (c), Aransibia; Mourgos, Cantwell, Middleton; Abrahams.Subs - Wallis, Hallett, Fonkeu, McIntosh, Sambu.

A few of the summer signings playing... Phillips, Abrahams, Mourgos, Fonkeu (sub)which seems the way we are going, picking up players in their late teens then developing them from there rather than expecting all youth players to start much earlier

Wonder if Phillips will get a call up for he first team soon?

Looks like a talent.

"The 19-year-old was released by the Reds at the end of the season and

City have apparently fended off interest from Watford and West Ham to

secure his signature.

Phillips joined City’s development squad during their

pre-season camp in Germany and he is expected to operate in the

Under-23s set-up initially before working his way into the senior squad

under head coach Daniel Farke.

Sporting director Stuart Webber’s influence was apparently

crucial in signing Phillips, who was known to the City chief from his

days as an academy scout at Anfield.

Phillips was long touted for a first team future at Liverpool but a troublesome back problem slowed his progress."

We will have to see. Maddison came back from a loan at Aberdeen and quickly gained a place the the senior squad. It looks like Phillips is heading that way as the club has not sent him out on loan, which suggests like Cantwell he could be looking to step up sooner rather than later.

A much more satisfying way for the Club to go forward, i feel that in a couple of years time people will be saying '''' look at what Norwich are doing, how they have changed the traditional throw money at it approach''''.For sure, we are building a strong base from which we can progress.

I wonder what will happen if they all come on stream at once ?However players will progress at a different pace and find different levels. Players such as Maddison will move on sooner rather than later, others will be like Wyatt and McGeehan who find their level lower down.Not only will this save money but also should generate money as not all senior players will come through the youth system.I expect this may well have been the motivation for removing a number of coaching/scouting staff at Colney. We are positively going down this route and producing the results, rather than just having a toe dipped in the water ie it has to deliver.The club looks in safe hands