Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

This EU straw poll thingy.

Why does it still hold pride of place amongst all the other chat about football, which is the purpose of this segment of the forum after all?

I rarely click on it, intentionally or not I haven''t bothered to work out, but when I do it seems to have become ludicrous by being confined to just the few fanatics on both sides and often sidelining into general political stuff far removed from anything concerning our role within or without the EU community.

We have the usual insults from those who still seem to be hurting at the original decision, we have a degree of gloating by some at every supposed set back to our own country which has resulted from the vote and we have some rather extreme views expressed by one or to who support Brexit, for whatever reason.

It''s all rather pointless and totally undeserving of it''s, usually prominent place, on the section of this forum about NCFC.

IE: All things football which are particularly pertinent on this particular week-end.

Please SDP finally confine this to the General Topics place where it now should be. It''s tedious and generally ill-informed and at times immature in it''s agenda ridden naivety.

Enough is enough, and it has become intrusive.

I will add that this laxity of acceptable subject matter seems to be creeping in simply because of the lenient approach to the EU issue. It''s becoming a rash.

We have recently had postings about the best cities in the world to visit and preferences for a week-end away (Manchester or Liverpool.) Both permitted and nothing to do with footie, more general topics.

Get a grip. I''m a purist in everything I think and do after all so my ranting must count as something to take note of.

(I cannot go on too much about this as I was was one of those who forced through postings about the Ashes a few years ago.)

Signed:

Mr. Angry of Broadstairs.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Why does it still hold pride of place amongst all the other chat about football, which is the purpose of this segment of the forum after all?

I rarely click on it, intentionally or not I haven''t bothered to work out, but when I do it seems to have become ludicrous by being confined to just the few fanatics on both sides and often sidelining into general political stuff far removed from anything concerning our role within or without the EU community.

We have the usual insults from those who still seem to be hurting at the original decision, we have a degree of gloating by some at every supposed set back to our own country which has resulted from the vote and we have some rather extreme views expressed by one or to who support Brexit, for whatever reason.

It''s all rather pointless and totally undeserving of it''s, usually prominent place, on the section of this forum about NCFC.

IE: All things football which are particularly pertinent on this particular week-end.

Please SDP finally confine this to the General Topics place where it now should be. It''s tedious and generally ill-informed and at times immature in it''s agenda ridden naivety.

Enough is enough, and it has become intrusive.[/quote][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Veering towards out. Like "Alex Neil, in or

out?" it''s not clear cut, like most decisions in the life.

The sovereignty issue is very valid and seems more important to the

older generations than the youngsters.

The economic arguments are not so cut and dried as many of the ''inners''

make out. It''s an irony that many of these expert establishment voices,

are from the same stables as those advocating us entering the disastrous

ERM, wanted the UK to adopt the Euro and failed to foretell the

recession. I am in agreement with Michael Gove on this and feel that

there is an element of ''Establishmentism'' with all these doom-mongering

heavyweights wading in.

Osborne couldn''t call a one horse race whilst Chameleon Cameron seems to

change his mind according to the audience he is addressing.

This was exposed last night when Andrew Neill brought up old footage of

him enthusiastically advocating admitting Turkey into the EU; when in

Turkey. Now it won''t happen for a couple of hundred years.

He then threatened the other heads of state that he would lead the UK

out of ''Europe'' if he did not get his way in those infamous prior-to

negotiations. He got very little to the point of nothing, but is now

strongly in favour of our continued entry in any case.

His political affiliations seem as fragile as those regarding the

football team he supports.

I fail to get the trade argument either. We have a trade deficit with

the rest of Europe. Surely it wouldn''t make sense for them to put

tariffs or impediments on UK products. Ten per cent plus on the cost of a

Beamer would adversely effect the German car industry quite badly

considering the number of those cars you see on our roads.

I''m very concerned about the pound and the FTSE dipping (temporarily) if

we go Brexit, but it''s too big an issue to vote solely according to

one''s pocket.

Either way a few months on and things will be back to normal in any

case.

In or out, the UK will have a different politico/socio environment

after the vote. Either the Europhobe issue will be finally put to rest

and forever or we will have a different World to face. We will

adapt.[/quote]One of two posts you had on Page 4 of the thread, Broady...[:D][;)][:S]

Yes Purple, but that was on page 4 for goodness sake.

And yes, this topic deserved it''s pride of place then. It was a unique event (like the Ashes??)

BUT that was over a year ago.

It no longer does, IMO.

Let''s see what others think.

P.S. Did I write that or did I crib it?

It''s brilliant so perhaps I have a lot to be grateful to the Aussies for? Fosters being my tipple.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Yes Purple, but that was on page 4 for goodness sake.

And yes, this topic deserved it''s pride of place then. It was a unique event (like the Ashes??)

BUT that was over a year ago.

It no longer does, IMO.

Let''s see what others think.[/quote]To be serious...If the referendum had been decisive, and there was nothing left to discuss, I might agree with you. But it settled virtually nothing. No one yet has a clue if the UK will leave, or when, if it does, and under what terms. There are vast differences between the various exit scenarios. I would also say that, with the possible exception of the 1945 general election, the referendum was the single most significant use of the vote by the Britsh people since world war two, and probably going back well before that.I also think, although there have been some by-ways that could have been avoided, this thread has been generally a credit to pink ''un posters, and highly educative - even though sometimes in ways one might not like!

Like any thread, you are not forced to contribute. If nobody is interested it dies naturally.

A popular thread keeps people on the Forum. Leave it where it is.

Then Ricardo you have a limited view of the forum as such.

We do have a ''general topics'' section so if it is well supported in that what is the problem? Easy enough to get on with things there.

Let it command that section and not the footie part.

Mr. (not really) Angry of Broadstairs.

It seems that there are only a couple of threads that keep people visiting this forum at the moment, the EU and the PUPS thread. It''s a bit livlier when it''s game time, the Binner game adds more than a usual game, but when City are doing well this forum goes terribly quiet and it needs all the help it can get.

It does feel like the forum is getting steadily quieter- its a shame. In a bad run it''s often unreadable as all the trolls come out and on a good run it''s quiet because, really, what is there to debate.

I do think if Archant updated the software and made it more user friendly people might post more.

That the forum is quieter is mainly because there isn''t much to complain about.  We have a good squad and management structure, we have good results on the pitch, we are not leaking goals in the alarming manner of the past few years - and there are less trolls around trying to wind people up for their own ends.   It will soon liven up as the season hots up.  And if you think this forum is quiet, you should look at some other Norwich forums where there is practically no one posting at all.

Spot on Lakey but you forgot to mention that with Russell Martin and Steven Naismith confined to the U23''s that in itself stops about four threads a week. [:D] As for other forums they are kept alive by moderators apparently starting threads when nobody has been posting for days on end.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]The trouble with the EU thread is the sheer number of Brexit idiots posting on it. Thanks for leading us up s hit creek.[/quote](Keep it quiet, but Broadstairs was one of them).

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 21/10/2017 10:49 AM:

Spot on Lakey but you forgot to mention that with Russell Martin and Steven Naismith confined to the U23''s that in itself stops about four threads a week. Big Smile [:D] As for other forums they are kept alive by moderators apparently starting threads when nobody has been posting for days on end.

There was a new forum started a little while ago wasn''t there, is it still running?

Sorry Broadstairs, I don''t see the problem - if you don''t like it don''t look at it. It is a very healthy thing that City fans can discuss issues other than just football. It''s a "community thing" and adds an extra dimension to the board - we are very diverse, with differences of opinion but bound together by one thing - our love of City.I think that the forum is richer for the thread and other occasional non-football threads.

Fair enough and I''m not particularly bothered, but there is a Non-football forum on this site.

Perhaps it would get more traffic if this Euro stuff was on there.

That''s all.

At last let there be an end to it. I voted remain but I can''t for it to be over. It''s like a long drawn out death. And that fate has already been reserved for 1p5wich Town supporters.

It will remain until all the energy in the Multiverse runs down to zero.

Then after a suitable span of time the Lord of Brexit will cry "Let there be light"

and we''ll all be able to see for miles[:D]

If Archant get too concerned about lack of posts and visits they just need to pay off Farke to start Russel Martin in a match. We''ll have 19 threads on that in about 4 hours alone.