Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Cautious Chris

Brighton having a good night so far . Lots on here wrote them off before a ball was kicked but they are adjusting well to the big boys league. Nice club and good support like us, hope they survive .

How many better managers have Norwich had in the last 20 years? Probably only one, maybe two.

It''s never going to be very exciting under Hughton but he can get teams promoted and will give them at least a chance of staying in the Prem.

Many worse managers out there.

I rated him at the time and still do. It may have been a bit dour at times at Carrow Road but I don''t think that is all he has in his locker. His Newcastle team was pretty decent and the geordies I know were pretty gutted when he was sacked and at a loss to understand why - apart from the obvious of course - they have a pill*ck for a chairman.Things also going well at Brighton so good luck to him, nice guy as well.

Had RvW turned out vaguely competent we may well still be in the prem! All ifs and buts but one thing for sure is it did start to get difficult making the walk down to carrow road some weeks.

I couldn''t deal with any more of his negative tosh.
Nice bloke, undoubtedly, and a competent manager, but he very nearly succeeded in destroying my love for football. 

I always liked the Hoots as a man and he is highly regarded as a tactician within the game, although he seemed a bit limited at Norwich.

As somebody has pointed out, the biggest nail in that manager''s coffin was the failure of his marquee signing (and supposedly potent striker) RVW to even be half decent.

I often thought that CH didn''t quite register with NCFC having had all his experience in bigger environments like Spurs and Newcastle and even Birmingham I suppose, but this view is refuted by his success at Brighton it seems.

I didn''t sit through many (one?) dour Carrow Road performances but often regularly fell asleep onto my laptop at around the sixtieth minute ... the Fosters will have helped cause this though.

As a side note: Couldn''t we now do with that Glenn Murray in the squad as the perfect complement for our current two strikers. I believe we were linked once, but he is well out of our reach now being an establish Premier Leaguer and probably very highly priced.

With him as an option I would bet my house on us getting top six as the rest seems to have fallen into place.

Wanted him out but soon realised that was a mistake. It was easy to see why he was unpopular though, I don''t know what the hell was going on in the Lambert era that made us so great but we slumped pretty significantly in pretty much all aspects of our performances after he took over. So you have his predecessor at Villa showing he isn''t anything exceptional and Hughton here performing worse (but grinding out results) here.

You can''t blame anyone for thinking he might not be a good manager, he didn''t have an amazing record before he joined us. Took an embarrassment of riches in Newcastle to the second division title and got a Championship team in the play offs. We''d also spent quite a lot by our standards in his two years here but appeared to be going significantly backwards.

So yeah, good manager, shame it didn''t work out for him here but I totally get why everyone wanted him out.

Just because he''s doing better at Brighton doesn''t mean he would have turned us around if he''d stayed. I think people forget just how God awful that second season under him was. Yes you can argue RVW didn''t help but Hughton chose to sign him with no real idea how to play him or Hooper.

The rope is always shorter for managers when you play boring football.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]Wanted him out but soon realised that was a mistake. It was easy to see why he was unpopular though, I don''t know what the hell was going on in the Lambert era that made us so great but we slumped pretty significantly in pretty much all aspects of our performances after he took over. So you have his predecessor at Villa showing he isn''t anything exceptional and Hughton here performing worse (but grinding out results) here. [/quote]
The Lambert era was a case of right man, right place, right time. It was just one of those things when the stars aligned and the team played well above the sum of the parts for a sustained period of time. Same with Mike Walker in that magical season with us - he left for Everton and won 6 out 35 - he did sign Duncan Ferguson on loan, who then signed permanently and was part of the team that avoided relegation and won the FA Cup under Joe Royle after Walker''s departure.
I put Lambert in the same bracket as Walker. Actually quite a limited manager who has not really had success anywhere aside from us (and both Walker and Lambert had a decent spell at Colchester before us), certainly not at bigger clubs, but were just the right man in the right situation with us.

There was no manager that could have taken on the job after Lambert and appeased the faithful.  Hughton was on a hiding to nothing from day one as a result - and the seeping negativity that surrounded what he tried to do - organise the defence - was met with dismay bordering on disgust in his first pre-season matches!!   He was not Lambert and the negativity of that was his undoing.  You can blame Hughton, you can blame Snodgrass, RVW or anyone else, but the roots of his failure was the situation he inherited and the underlying negativity surrounding that.  You had plenty of people saying that his football was not designed to be purely defensive, but that was met with derision by many - even though we had that excellent winning streak and good competitive peformances up to Christmas in the first season. The pressure on him and the players in the end was too much.  Proof that he isn''t a purely defensive manager? His Tottenham career, his Newcastle career, his Birmingham career and his Brighton career.  The problems he had at Norwich stemmed from the situation he inherited and once the negativity set in throughout the club and the fans, the viscious circle of that took care of the rest.

@LDC

What a load of horseshit.

The idea that fan negativity caused his downfall is just ludicrous. People were not deriding him during that 10 game unbeaten streak and even after the crap second half of the season there was huge sense of positivity after the summer signings.

I remember posting on here after the first season that as long as we backed him in the market to bring in better attacking players then the football would improve- we did and it didn''t. You could see as early as the Hull game that Hughton didn''t have a clue how to use his new signings.

Fans negativity didn''t cause us to be the lowest scoring team in the division. Fan negativity didn''t cause us to lose the apparenty ''defensive solidity'' Hughton supposedly bought. Fan negativity didn''t spend £25m to make us worse.

West Ham were awful so please get some perspective on last night.Every side in The Premiership would have won that game and has been said under Hughton it was a chore to turn up at Carrow Road more often than not during that last season.

Oh right. So it was the fans’ fault we played negative trash, in almost every game, that led to defeat after defeat. It was the fans’ fault he bought in players that were not suited to our system or indeed even English football. Glad we’ve cleared that up 👍🏼

[quote user="king canary"]The idea that fan negativity caused his downfall is just ludicrous. People were not deriding him during that 10 game unbeaten streak and even after the crap second half of the season there was huge sense of positivity after the summer signings.

I remember posting on here after the first season that as long as we backed him in the market to bring in better attacking players then the football would improve- we did and it didn''t. You could see as early as the Hull game that Hughton didn''t have a clue how to use his new signings.

Fans negativity didn''t cause us to be the lowest scoring team in the division. Fan negativity didn''t cause us to lose the apparenty ''defensive solidity'' Hughton supposedly bought. Fan negativity didn''t spend £25m to make us worse.[/quote]

Of course there were plenty prepared to

give Hughton time and hoped things would improve, you and me included, but

negativity is insipid and sets in too easily.  There was a constant barrage on here for almost two years of people

saying that they and everyone they knew where they worked and in the

pubs and on twitter and on facebook, etc etc etc - didn''t like the way

Hughton was doing things, didn''t rate him, didn''t like the way he spoke

and wanted him gone.  And the complaints started almost straight away

after he was appointed.  That amount of negativity was bound to filter through to players and affect the whole club. The optimism at the beginning of the second season dissipated almost straight away. The players were responsible for themselves and imo some of

them allowed the negativity to affect them too much - but then it is

hard to buck a trend - if you know the groundswell of opinion is that

your manager is no good, then you would have to be very hard faced not

to let that affect you, even sub-consciously.  So yes, fans do have a bearing on what happens on the pitch, whether it is for good or bad. 

Problem is Hughton didnt get the players on side with the way he wanted them to play which would be understandably difficult after the Lambert years. That was clear with Martin and Holt comments.

[quote user="hogesar"]Problem is Hughton didnt get the players on side with the way he wanted them to play which would be understandably difficult after the Lambert years. That was clear with Martin and Holt comments.[/quote]

Quite so.  The situation was that a manager was brought in with the task of changing - out of necessity - the very nature of the football we were used to under Lambert.   So the culture of the squad would have had to change, the kind of players would have to have changed - which would have taken two or three transfer windows.  All this whilst being in the closest and most tense Premier League where those clubs from 8th downwards were in danger of being sucked into the relegation battle.    Add to that the inability of RVW to find his form, the apparent lack of intelligence on the pitch by those who should have known better (Snodgrass imo, in partcular) and the lack of gumption collectively - and you had a recipe for football that was tense, unconfident and with a seemingly apparent lack of fight.   

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]So making excuses for RvW again and continuing the Snodgrass agenda. Who got the most goals and assists again?[/quote]Not making excuses for RVW in the slightest, all I said was he never found his best form, which is the truth.......and who hogged the ball so much that teamwork consisted largely ended up with a goal....or nothing?  Lost count of the times good positions were wasted by Snodgrass dithering, losing the ball, falling over and complaining, or waiting so long to cross the ball, eventually putting in a dolly drop cross that defenders could stop with their eyes closed. The giving of the ball to Snodgrass usually meant one of two eventualities, either a goal or nothing and if he only contrinuted to twelve goals in total through scoring or assists, when he had the lion''s share of possession when we attacked, then he was not doing enough for the team.   There used to be a player at my school who used to run up the wing, refuse to pass it, hang on to it if he couldn''t get a shot on goal and then end up losing possession. Never brought team mates into the game - yes, he scored sometimes, but he was the most frustrating player to play with and was not picked often as a result.   Schoolboy football.  

I''ve read some nonsense on these boards over the years, but LDC''s posts in here take the biscuit. Schoolboy posting.