Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Best ever youth product?

Out of all the players to start their careers at Norwich, who would you say has been the most successful?

The two I''d pick in terms of status would probably be Bellamy and Sutton...

But... Danny Mills anyone? Objectively, has any Norwich youth product gone on to do better? Champions League player, and played for England at the World Cup (I know Green did, but he wasnt ever really bonafide first choice - and yes I know Mills got his place due to injury (Neville I think))

I dont like Danny Mills, mainly because of his obvious bile towards our club, but it is strange that we do not champion him, probably because he succeeded in spite of us I guess.

Bellamy would be my shout, though I''ve still not forgiven him for celebrating his goal against us at Anfield. I''ve read him express that he was grateful to our club for giving him his opportunity, I just always felt disappointed he didnt seem to feel much of a connection to the club.

Of all ou youth products I think he was the most prodigious at such a tender age. Not just potential when young, he really was the business

Have to agree on Craig Bellamy, when he ''made it'' he became a bit of a dickhead, collection of watches etc etc but as he grew up, he gave much more back, his project in Africa for instance. Correct me if i''m wrong but he was rather passionate for whatever Club he was playing for at the time.100% Player.

Chris Sutton without a doubt!at one point the most expensive transfer in football, a Premier league winner, an England International, a top division golden boot winner, Uefa Cup runner up and 4 scottish titles and 3 Scottish cups.Bellamy had a single league cup win with Liverpool.

Before most of us were watching but Maurice Norman went on to play for Tottenham, Double winners, and play for England.

Bellamy. Definitely.

It isn''t all about trophies and medals, otherwise Wes Brown or whoever would be regarded as greats. Quick, exciting and clinical - we haven''t had a player since that I''ve been as confident in when faced up by a keeper. He knew he''d score, we knew he''d score. Just a pity we couldn''t have kept him for longer.

Sutton for me too. Probably England''s second best centre forward, behind Shearer, at that time. Bit like Crouch in that people tended to overlook his skill and vision as he was ungainly. Also a Norfolk boy.

Definitely Maurice Norman. Presumably a youth product but learned his trade on Mulbarton Common.

Bellamy all day long for me arrogant, annoying and bloody brilliant at the same time.

Remember when they did a feature in the match day programme on the youngsters at Colney, long before he kicked a ball for the 1st team, they asked him who was the best player n the PL and he said Juhnino at Boro (fair shout) then asked about best player at Norwich City, and he said "me", (which he went on to be) and wound the 1st team players right up at the time.

Not sure I can choose, definitely between Bellers, Sutton and the so far overlooked Rob Green for me. All had differing strengths and successful at the highest levels.

Bellers was easily the most exhilarating of the 3, but Sutton probably edges it for me - due to the involvement with our best ever side.

Rob Green could have been great but that mistake vs the USA seemed to stop his career in its tracks for a while.

Bellamy and Sutton are the obvious choices. The Mills argument is good but it is hurt by the fact he seems to be a complete knob.

Was Barry Bridges on our books before he went to Chelsea?

I''d say Sutton. Just. He effected most games for us I think . But both Bellars and Eadie got you out of your seat - I actually think without the injuries Jockey would have been the best of them all. Some protection from the refs would have helped him.