Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Fastest ever player?

Who was the player we had who could do the 100 metres in a time that would have allowed him to be a professional sprinter if he wasn''t in football? I have a feeling it might have been Hucks?

A rare post from me, but I recalled the ''Rumbelows Sprint Challenge'' shown on Saint and Greavsie from 1991/2. I think Fox was chosen to represent Norwich, but was eliminated in the heats.

I think that Ekoku won the first version of the challenge prior to joining Norwich.

Ekoku would therefore be my answer. Although Adrian Forbes could run, seemingly like he was escaping from something.

[quote user="Alex "] Who was the player we had who could do the 100 metres in a time that would have allowed him to be a professional sprinter if he wasn''t in football? I have a feeling it might have been Hucks? [/quote]

James Vaughan was the fastest UK youngster at 100m at a certain age before he decided to opt for football over athletics.

Steve Goble was a bit swift as I recall. Only played 30 odd games but remember a worldly he scored against Brighton

Bill Punton. That was many years ago. 50+ ?

I can remember seeing him play a few times but I was quite young and don''t remember much about him.

I think players are generally quicker these days though.

Speed is hard to assess. I remember my Sunday League team we all competed at the 100m. Everyone was convinced it was between these two guys who were very quick, but they both got trounced by our goalkeeper over 100m once he got into his stride. The difference between acceleration and pace I guess, two different attributes.

Most of the quick nippy players would probably be outrun over a distance by the log legged players

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Simple thread. Who struck you as the quickest player Norwich have ever had?[/quote]

Efangwu Ekoku.

[quote user="Alan"]Bill Punton. That was many years ago. 50+ ?

I can remember seeing him play a few times but I was quite young and don''t remember much about him.

I think players are generally quicker these days though.[/quote]Errol Crossan was quicker. In fact, I think he was quickest of all those mentioned although not the most skillful.