Sign in to follow this  
Bill

This is our year

We won reasonably comfortable.The points picked up over the past 8 league games would give 103 over 46 games, and as it stands 96 points if we continued this form.Both are title winning point totals.This is without Pritchard, Oliveira, Murphy, Watkins, Naismith and Tettey. Imagine being told that we are signing those six in January to boost our chances, then being told that they will all be with us in the next month or so to push towards the top.There are also enough younger players on the fringe to cover as well.But the important thing was the obvious team spirit shown so demonstrably after the game today. Gone is the rancour and ill feeling of last season. In it''s place a squad and manager who want to win, take great delight in it and bond well with the supporters.Can we hit the top two by Xmas ... I think we can.

In fairness, I think Oliveira has actually made quite a telling contribution to that run, City 1st - but here here, I totally agree. Feels like special times are returning to our fine club. Just hope we didn''t pick up too many bad knocks today or that injury list may look slightly worse!

Sorry, I meant specifically today''s result.Our win today''s was relatively comfortable considering the non availability of the above named six. It was not a desperate clinging on to one goal game so with those back we will certainly have no fear of any team in this division.

[quote user="Rhubarb"]Sorry, I meant specifically today''s result.Our win today''s was relatively comfortable considering the non availability of the above named six. It was not a desperate clinging on to one goal game so with those back we will certainly have no fear of any team in this division.[/quote]

There''s one picture of Angus Gunn at the end of the game where you see the sheer joy on his face. This from, let''s not forget, a loan player. If this is an indication of the spirit throughout the squad then we are in a very good place.

Gunn is City through and through but i take your point.It was a comment made by Roberts (I think) about the 2003/4 title winning side. The bond the players had, much as with Lamberts sides. Nothing special as individuals but that was compensated by a great work ethic.The City players reacted at the final whistle today as if they were the under dogs pulling off a great upset.Whatever we get at Arsenal now will be a bonus. A great day out for the fans, and who knows ....... we beat Arsenal 3-0 at Highbury in the quarter finals (1972) on the way to the final, so maybe history will repeat itself.

I''m torn on this as I''m not sure we are ready for promotion this season - I realise that the parachute payments run out this season, but Farke has only had one summer transfer window to build the squad he wants, and promotion this year might be a season too soon for him - just as it probably was for AN.

"So we strengthen the team and give it a go. If we come down we have two more years of parachute money and a stronger group to build on."

I agree.

Ready for what exactly? Even if we yo-yo we will be back in television and parachute money land and we will have had another season playing against the best with a consequent higher profile for the club.

I wouldn''t advocate spending much in order to strengthen either. Big money striker and then let''s see how the rest get on and with a few youngsters should be in the reckoning.

I love optimism but just hang on a little - most would of taken mid table at the start of the year - after Derby and Wolves lets see where we really are.

Ipswich haven''t beaten any of the top teams this year so not a result to get to excited about, in terms of promotion.

But I agree things have been looking very upwards recently.

Wolves seem to be the stand out team at the moment, but the remaining two places would seem to be open for grabs by a number of teams ... and we are one of this, imo.

I cannot see either Cardiff or PNE keeping it up, but then again both are continuing to do well for the most part.

It''s good to be thinking and posting in such terms after the Villa, Sunderland and Millwall games.

Thoughts of us being amongst the front runners are not mis-placed,and not just because of results. The manager has settled in, the new players have settled in, weaknesses have been address, the squad gels admirably and a couple or so of vital players are due back soon now.

AND: Young Maddison wouldn''t be out of place in the current England squad. There I''ve said it.

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Beard"]I''m torn on this as I''m not sure we are ready for promotion this season - I realise that the parachute payments run out this season, but Farke has only had one summer transfer window to build the squad he wants, and promotion this year might be a season too soon for him - just as it probably was for AN.[/quote]err, what should we do ... throw games ?There is no ratchet. We start every season afresh, not like this year is the time trial and where we finish determines where we start in Aug 2018. There is no guarantee who would be here come Aug 2018 if we stayed in the Championship.If Farke (and others) can get us to promotion then they will most likely have the same ability to have a good go if we were in the PL. So all we can do is keep picking up points.''Ipswich haven''t beaten any of the top teams this year so not a result to get to excited about, in terms of promotion.''I don''t think my comment was based on a predictable win at poorman road. Why not have another read ?

Fair point Rhubarb, I just "assumed" this might have been written in the euphoria of a Derby victory, once we''ve played some of the better teams - I know we''ve beaten Middlesboro and Sheff Utd away which were excellent results, and I hope these continue - after Christmas is when the table really takes shape.

Beat Derby and Wolves and we will be in the media focus for sure.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Fair point Rhubarb, I just "assumed" this might have been written in the euphoria of a Derby victory, once we''ve played some of the better teams - I know we''ve beaten Middlesboro and Sheff Utd away which were excellent results, and I hope these continue - after Christmas is when the table really takes shape.

Beat Derby and Wolves and we will be in the media focus for sure.[/quote]Ihere is little euphoria in beating the binners any moreIt is that this (binners) was done without six of our ''better'' players, that it was a continuation of recent form and the reaction and belief of our players suggests we are onto something we had in 09- 012 and 03-04It is not about ''formations'', players being up top, running along the channel or any such buffoonery - it is about the determination to win, and having the ability to do that. To come from those hammerings in August to pick up 18 points out of 24 is phenomonal.If we can get 4 points from Wolves and Derby it will be a fair indication that we are on our way.

Knowing what we know now, I''d be extremely disappointed if we "signed" Naismith in January.

Doesn''t even warrant a place in the match day squad, let alone the starting 11.

[quote user="kirku"]Knowing what we know now, I''d be extremely disappointed if we "signed" Naismith in January.

Doesn''t even warrant a place in the match day squad, let alone the starting 11.[/quote]Much the same was said of Husband, Zimmerman and WildschuttPersonally I do think he warrants a place - and I''m sure Farke et al will have him fitting in.However the point about the ''missing'' players still holds true

Match by match fellas. Match by match. Way too early to talk about promotion. This week is made tough by an Arsenal match that will put pressure on our resources, especially with the two home matches in four days, coming up.

I''ve barely started thinking about the playoffs yet. Far too early to think of anything better.If we are in touch by Jan 1st I may allow myself to hope.33 games to go.

[quote user="Rhubarb"]Much the same was said of Husband, Zimmerman and WildschuttPersonally I do think he warrants a place - and I''m sure Farke et al will have him fitting in.However the point about the ''missing'' players still holds true[/quote]

There''s a big difference between those 3 and Naismith.

Naismith has been here for nearly two full seasons, cost a fortune and came with a big reputation and, subsequently, wage. His impact on the team over those two years has been woeful, especially considering the outlay.

The other three were brought in under very different circumstances, and anyone who wrote them off so quickly jumped the gun - a lot.

[quote user="kirku"][quote user="Rhubarb"]Much the same was said of Husband, Zimmerman and WildschuttPersonally I do think he warrants a place - and I''m sure Farke et al will have him fitting in.However the point about the ''missing'' players still holds true[/quote]

There''s a big difference between those 3 and Naismith.

Naismith has been here for nearly two full seasons, cost a fortune and came with a big reputation and, subsequently, wage. His impact on the team over those two years has been woeful, especially considering the outlay.

The other three were brought in under very different circumstances, and anyone who wrote them off so quickly jumped the gun - a lot.[/quote]It was meant as light hearted and positive take on how we are now, how we were able to beat the binners and others yet still have six good players to return. That''s all.If you feel that some are the devil incarnate then feel free to continue, but it wasn''t really about that.As to some of the more seniors I would say, take up thy bed and walk, follow the true messiah (the most recent) for truly we are set for the promised land .... again having been wrongly thrown out a few years back

Nothing tonight has suggested to me that I might be a bit over optimistic,A very impressive performance, where the rub of the green (and a good rub of the ref''s eyes) could well seen us through to the next round.We will only get better.Watch this space.

I see one or two guys think its way to early to be thinking of play offs or even higher, but in fact i disagree. Such is the magnitude of the turn around since the Millwall debacle that i have seen such a cohesive unit, so solid defensively, players united behind DF''s style and players who are starting to understand each others strengths and more important getting the results despite a staggering amount of injuries that it all combines to feel something very special is happening at our club. That this is happening only couple of months into the season is amazing, but i really dont see any reason at all why our total transformation since Millwall cannot be season long. Agree with Rhubarb, we will only get better to, and thou we lost tonight, i think it was a awesome way to bow out of the League Cup, the guys giving everything, some of them 120 mins tonight just two days after the Derby day triumph. Actually think tonights performance, never mind the result, will strengthen this group of players even more.Already thinking of how Alex Neil never really got over that Newcastle result in the Prem, after that game he was never the same . Think we have maybe already seen the reverse happen with DF, the Millwall game and the very useful 2 week International break in which he somehow not only found a formula to make the players look a team capable of  getting points week in week out, but has brought an immense feeling of pride, joy and feelgood factor sweeping right thru the entire club. Cant recall such a thing happening in a long while, not since maybe when PL started to rocket the club up the L1 table. OTBC.

Exactly my thoughtsTonight could well have been a game where we fell apart. Knackered after a tiring game against the binners a couple of days before, and then out of our ''CXhampionship comfort zone''.Yet far from hanging on in there, we easily matched them and could (some will say should) have won.That was not achieved by playing two pn top, three below one running along the channel whilst sticking rigidlt to a 1 2 3 4  formation.. or similar.It was achieved by having players both Farke and Webber said they wanted. Those who are fully committed. By having a playing style that means when the opposition get the ball they are pounced upon so as to win the ball back. Watch how the ball is carefully played out of defence, when  we have become used to it being hoofed away (that is only done in desperation in the box.)Most of the passing is one touch. Anyone who has practiced that knows not only how difficult that is, but how much it goes against what your natural instincts are. And how much in a game it gets forgotten.The players gave it their all tonight. Most seem to collapse to the floor at the final whistle. it''s that commitment and sticking to their task that will see us in the top six if not higher come May. As Essjayess says" make the players look a team capable of  getting points week in week

out, but has brought an immense feeling of pride, joy and feelgood

factor sweeping right thru the entire club."