Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

Vrancic

Amazed that both Reed & Trybull were taken off before him. Not even sure where he was supposed to be playing today.

Highlight was in 1st half stoppage time he ignored Wildschuts run up the line and instead played it inexplicably back to Gunn who could only put it out of play as he had Hulls striker charging at him

Interesting to see everyones favourite journalist Nick Mashiter was at the game today and mentioned he couldn''t see what value Vranic bought to the team.

I know Rogue Baboon! Farke (we''re only 8 games unbeaten, what does he know about football) went and took the other midfielders off and we only managed a measly equaliser! If Vrancic had been subbed, or better still not even played, we would have scored at least five.

Btw, can anyone remind we what Reed and Trybull did today that was so exceptional? It''s just I can remember quite a few bits of excellent play from Vrancic, and very little from those two. I''m sure I must be misremembering though, because I''m sure our fans wouldn''t start undeservedly singling out a player for criticism.

@Ian

Reed and Trybull have different roles though don''t they? They both broke up play and offered good defensive cover although you could say both were not exactly dynamic when it came to moving the ball forward.

Yep, Trybull and Reed''s jobs are different, and the reason they were taken off first, is that Hull were never going to press us, at that stage (they were happy with the odd counter) so we needed to keep our creative/ball players (of which, Vrancic is one) on the pitch.

If we had been winning, then a different substitution, may well have taken place.

The criticism is not of Vrancic, with the ball at his feet, Ian.

[quote user="king canary"]@Ian

Reed and Trybull have different roles though don''t they? They both broke up play and offered good defensive cover although you could say both were not exactly dynamic when it came to moving the ball forward.[/quote]I would have liked to see Trybull deployed as an AM once Hull went down to 10. I think he''d do that far better than Vranic. When you have the likes of Trybull and Reed/Tettey behind you, you can take more risks, but Vranic just hides really.

@crabby

I would have kept Trybull on just because when Hull did get the ball late on we often struggled to get it off them as our midfield was exceptionally lightweight at that point.

So please enlighten me as to Vrancic''s role then, and more specifically why he wasn''t fulfilling it? Given the fact we conceded a goal from Madison losing the ball and our DMs failing to protect the static CBs, we can assume that some other players you''ve mentioned perhaps didn''t do their jobs adequately 100% of the time too?

Look, I get it. Lots of people need a player they can irrationally blame for all our failings. It''s been the same for as long as I can remember, and it just seems to be Mario''s turn at the moment.

Vrancic is a good technician with vision and awareness. However, he needs to have the right players around him to be able to play them in. Short of options at times today.

Perhaps the Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who is Nick Mashiter could ask his mate Stuart Webber what Vrancic brings to the team, as presumably he had some involvement in scouting and signing him.

Agreed GJP. Needs options around him to shine.

He wasn''t fantastic today, but was no way near our poorest performer. What is frustrating is the ignorant people like the OP, and the folks who sit behind me, who are quick to single out players for OTT and unreasonable criticism, but then disappear off the face of the Earth when said players play well (such as when Vrancic knocked in a couple away from home).

No Ian, you re stretching this too far. It was just an opinion of getting more out of Vrancic. He wasn''t bad today, by any stretch of the imagination. It was just that , as we were chasing the game, we needed more out of our front players. I have said elsewhere, that Widschut was knackered, and next to useless, for 15 mins (Vrancic offered more at that point).

I certainly do not ''need'' a a player to blame.

There was a lot to be positive about today, and if we had won by 2 or 3 goals, then this conversation would not be taking place.

Nothing to do with scapegoating, I just did not see what he offered today. I’m not even sure where he was playing?

Am I the only person to see similarities between Vrancic & Ozil? They will occasionally pull out some great passes and look good on highlights, but then the stuff in between polarises opinion

I agree that bar the first 20 minutes Vrancic offered more than Maddison GJP.

But Vrancic, as i said on another thread, is a player who will attract these kind of threads in English football! Technically very good but like similar players needs movement around him. Hence bringing Wes on made little difference to the direction of our passing today.

I will admit lack of movement was a huge issue today. There was one moment where Klose carries the ball out of defence and every other player just stood still

Another moment was when Jerome did well to chase and win the ball in the channel, looked up and nobody was trying to get into the box with any purpose

Yeah, but what even is his position? Not a winger, lacks mobility to be a decent 10 and not good defensively to be a holder. He just seems to slow the game down and get in everyone else’s way. He’s got a decent pass on him I’ll give you that but I don’t think he’ll be a permanent fixture when others are back from injuries/suspension.

Vrancic created the best chance of the game today when he played a great through-ball to Wildschut, leaving him with just the keeper to beat. Had Wildschut scored that relatively easy chance I don''t think people would be quite so harsh on Vrancic.  Personally I think he''s still adapting to the English game. Sometimes he looks off the pace. But he is capable of producing game-changing moments.

Basically I made the point earlier, whenever 2 of Vrancic, Hoolahan and Maddison play we don''t win, despite dominating possession. Only room for one IMO, with a couple of pacy direct players flanking them - Watkins, Wildshut, Murphy and Pritchard the players to choose form.

As for Vrancic, he''s well behind Madissom and Hoolahan for me.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel) wrote the following post at 14/10/2017 7:33 PM:

......... He''s twice the player of Howson though.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

do you mean the Howson who was an unused sub today?

Don’t think it’s any coincidence that we haven’t won a game when Vrancic starts in a 3 behind the striker. Plays the odd great through ball which are perfectly weighted but does nothing else all game. A complete luxury player that actually doesn’t give you many luxuries if any. Not impressed with what I’ve seen so far, I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see how he can improve on his performances as I don’t think he’s got the ability to. People can’t judge his ability on one game because he scored 2 dead ball goals in the cup, has to be judged over the course of the season.

Rather lightweight, one paced and short on drive and energy. .Just seemed to lumber about the midfield playing a lot of fairly ineffective short balls. A luxury player and for me I don''t seem him as a force in this division. Trybull/Maddison contributed far more to the game that he did. Quite impressed as to how the coaching staff have moved on these two boys this season.

Frustrating is an understatement! There was one instance today where a player bombed past him wide and he didn’t even look to play it forward it went backwards as with the majority of his passes! He is our version of Ray Wilkins!

Odd as typically Vrancic is one of the last ones on the list for passing it backwards, unless of course nothing else is on he does have the intelligence to retain posession rather than aimlessly give it away.

Based on what we have seen so far this season he is the best passer of the ball at the club. And clearly he can create a chance.

If he had a bit of pace about him he probably wouldn''t be playing for Norwich.