Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

Press conference and team for Derby

No ''new'' injuries from Arsenal, meaning Oliveira, Murphy and Maddison are available, but their game time needs to be ''managed'' according to DF. Naismith trained this week but its too soon for him and Watkins is available after his suspension.

My team?

Gunn

Pinto Zimm Timm Husband

Trybull Reed

Wildschut Maddison Vrancic

Jerome

Subs: McGovern, Hanley, Stiepermann, Watkins, Wes, Oliveira, Murphy

Agree with that team, minimal but key changes.

Oliveira our traditional goal source, but certainly ''not the best'' man on the pitch on Tuesday, looking slow and pained. An appearance off the bench would suit.

Shove Murphy on second half, he deserves it after his goal and performance.

I would probably start Wes over Vrancic but I think that team makes sense.

Harsh to say Nelson looked ''slow and pained'' on Tuesday- he had barely played and ran himself into the ground for 120 minutes and nearly scored.

Vrancic out wide? Guy barely runs for a bus let alone a ball. You''re then leaving that right side uneven. Wes has significantly upped his defensive behaviour since Farke has arrived and how the guy keeps going at 35 is beyond me. I''d go with KC''s suggestion and swap Vran for Wes and ever does the Vrancic conundrum continue. Probably have some Murphy time second half.

"Harsh to say Nelson looked ''slow and pained'' on Tuesday- he had barely played and ran himself into the ground for 120 minutes and nearly scored. "

Exactly what I meant. He had barely played our previous games, was understandably off the pace and in my view did slow our game down when on the ball.

Hence why he should be given more rest, but also put on for half a game or whatever to help him get up to speed.

All praise for his chance, but others looked like they were going to get on the score sheet for us.

Not being particularly harsh or critical. Perhaps others who were at the game will disagree, just saying it as I saw it.

Eight days... 3 gamesThis will test the resolve and fitness of the squad. We need to be looking for seven points if not more., and hope to come through with no further injuriesThe break will give us a chance to recover a bit, but is still a complete nuisance as it means too many games are being played midweek to catch up.

"Anyone who puts Vrancic in their team either hasn’t seen any of our games recently or is an idiot "

What a charmer

He wasn''t impeccable this week, but showed signs of promise and arguably could break through his personal barrier in a home game

I thought some great words from Farke today. The bit about the team have focussed very hard on past two games, but the one against Derby is THE game of the week, and they need to focus like never before on that one. I hope he can succeed in ensuring the team does just that and on Tuesday - that will be a sign we truly have a great manager.

My concern is one shared with Bethnal on another thread - have we put too much in against Arsenal and will now pay the price, not only tomorrow but for the next few games as well?

[quote user="GenerationA47"]"Anyone who puts Vrancic in their team either hasn’t seen any of our games recently or is an idiot "

What a charmer

He wasn''t impeccable this week, but showed signs of promise and arguably could break through his personal barrier in a home game[/quote]Some people have no patience.  He may not be the most feisty of players, but then that is not his style.  What he provides for the team and the strikers is guilt edge chances through his ability to see through balls and delver them accurately. He has made match winning chances in recent games - or they would have been match winning if the strikers had put them away. It''s not his fault if strikers can''t finish them!  He has goals in him too, either from set pieces or from an excellent left foot. Oh and hoola han solo, I haven''t been at games recently and am an idiot, so I am glad to qualify on both your counts. [:P]

Yep for me Wes starts over Vrancic.

I would go with:

Gunn

Pinto Klose Zimmerman Stiepermann

Trybull Reed

Wildshutt Maddison Hoolahan

Jerome

PS that team should not be too leggy because Jerome, Stiepermann, Wildshutt and Wes all didn;t start at Arsenal.

The one are area concern fitness wise is probably the trio in midfield who all did but I sense they are all naturally fit players.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Anyone who puts Vrancic in their team either hasn’t seen any of our games recently or is an idiot[/quote]So, if he starts tomorrow?You will say "Farke is an idiot". [:S]This could come back to bite you on the bum HHS. [:D]

"My concern is one shared with Bethnal on another thread - have we put too much in against Arsenal and will now pay the price, not only tomorrow but for the next few games as well? "

The extra time didn''t help for sure, but we are on a bit of a roll even with the Arsenal defeat, the confidence that brings certainly helps to keep tired legs going.

But you''re right, it was a risk but I''m not sure what else we could have done given Farkes remarks about his love of cup games.

As for Hans, he is a brave little fellow pitching himself against Farke.😉

DF seems to be a big fan of Vrancic. I know I put him in my side and I did toy with a forward 3 of Wes, Maddison and Yanic, but I think we need a bit of composure on the ball, which Vrancic gives us. His ''wide-left'' position is nominal, we''re not playing wingers as such at all this season.

And, if its not working, there''s Wes, Murphy, Watkins and Oliveira to bring on.

He spoke of how Derby will sit and look to counter attack, so it could be another low scoring draw or narrow win.

Oh, and I''ve only seen the wins v Ipswich, Arsenal and Reading on TV, does that make me an idiot too?

Woody I didn''t call you an idiot. Just not keen on Vrancic there but I appreciate your comments regarding not playing wingers. I wish we would make the attacking play wider though instead of trying to ''unlock'' the centre of the park. This is where I feel we could mix up our attacking play making us less predictable to play against and potentially score more. But hey ho.

In the spirit of always wanting what we don''t have I was wondering whether we would have been better off not being respectful of the League Cup and gone out in an earlier round....

I would go for a slightly more defensive set-up than the OP to begin with in view of the long game on Tuesday night and with respect to the opposition.

I would have Stiepermann in mid-field instead of Vrancic. Use Husband and save the pace and bigger goal threat until the game is under control.

Perhaps Oliveira starting instead of Jerome to counter such negativity.

This is a strong squad, but so is Derby''s and they will be geared up in view of our prolonged efforts in the Carabao Cup.

[quote user="Morgan"]Woody I didn''t call you an idiot. Just not keen on Vrancic there but I appreciate your comments regarding not playing wingers. I wish we would make the attacking play wider though instead of trying to ''unlock'' the centre of the park. This is where I feel we could mix up our attacking play making us less predictable to play against and potentially score more. But hey ho.[/quote]

I''m not keen on him there either, but we are playing very differently to how we did under Neil, when Pinto and Dijks/Brady overlapped the nominal left-sided midfielder. Attention has shifted to not being caught out on counter attacks with defenders caught high up field.

BTW - the idiot comment was towards HHS - thought I''d join in with others berating him. Not my usual style, I don''t normally rise to things like that...

I think you could see a couple of surprises in the team, maybe Hanley and Watkins to start.

I’d go for:

Gunn

Pinto

Stieperman

Hanley

Klose

Trybull

Reed

Watkins

Maddison

Hoolahan

Jerome

Subs:

McGovern

Zimmermann

Husband

Vrancic

Murphy

Wildschut

Oliveira

So I am an idiot he will get better and in the right formation has a sweet pass and dead ball potential, How many games have you seen this season Hoola not many i suspect

Wouldn''t be surprised to see Watkins straight back in. Id probably start Wes, bring Vrancic on from the bench for him after 60 minutes and do the opposite on Tuesday.

Jerome to start, Oliveira worked but again tried to do too much / was too selfish at times. That was mentioned by the commentators at the time who dont know that he has a bit of a track record for it. Probably just trying too hard to impress.

[quote user="hogesar"]Wouldn''t be surprised to see Watkins straight back in. Id probably start Wes, bring Vrancic on from the bench for him after 60 minutes and do the opposite on Tuesday.

Jerome to start, Oliveira worked but again tried to do too much / was too selfish at times. That was mentioned by the commentators at the time who dont know that he has a bit of a track record for it. Probably just trying too hard to impress.[/quote]
Agree with most of that, Jerome will start, Watkins will come straight back in, not sure if Wes will start though, Josh will be on the bench

Watkins should be nowhere near the starting line up. He has done nothing at all to justify being selected.