Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Derby

I think my blood must be getting thin because it was woolly hat and gloves time on the stroll up to CR this afternoon. By the time I''d walked halfway down Pottergate, I realised my mistake because in truth it wasn''t that cold, just a bit blowy.From the off, City looked the neater of the two sides and soon earned a couple of corners. The second of which was only cleared after a bit of a scramble in the Derby goalmouth. Apart from a wild lash over the bar from Bradley Johnson there was very little coming back in the early stages. There were some nice moves with Wes and Madders prominent but the real chance came just after the quarter hour when a neat ball found Stiepermans clever run in from the left. When he lifted it over Carson I was out of my seat but unfortunately it came down off the underside of the bar and away.The City defence stayed strong against a couple of well flighted free kicks and when they broke down the left Murphy let fly from the corner of the area only for Carson to leap to his left to punch clear. It seemed a matter of time before we scored and when a mix up in the Derby back line saw Murphy nip past the keeper and go down right on the bye line I was expecting a penalty and a red card. Admittedly I was a hundred yards away but everyone seemed stunned when ref Mr.Bankes merely gave a corner kick. It certainly looked like Murphy had been pulled back but we aren''t getting the rub of the green at the moment.Derby came more into the game in the closing stages but there was little danger other than a couple of 25 yarders that skimmed well wide. That is until right on the whistle when Nugent found himself clear on the edge of the City box to clip a shot past Gunn into the top corner. It had been almost a carbon copy of the Hull game where we should have been two goals up only to go in one down from the oppositions only effort on target.Once again I expected to see changes for the second half and once again I was to be disappointed. Fifteen minutes of plenty of effort to no avail ensued as Derby looked more than capable of keeping their lead. Indeed they might have scored a second had not Gunn produced a fine tip over from a powerful Huddlestone drive. City''s only threat came when Stieperman met a ball on the corner of the six yard box only for the keeper and a defender to scramble the effort off the line with more than a hint of handball from my viewpoint. In any event ref Bankes was again unmoved.Reed and Murphy now made way fro Olly and Wildshut and eventually City managed to get up a head of steam mainly through some strong running by the Dutchman. With twenty minutes left a concerted attack kept the pressure on the Derby defence. Madders and Trybull had shots charged down but the ball was eventually fed out to the left where Stieperman crossed to the far post and the unmarked Tim Klose netted with a header from a narrow angle.If we hoped that this would be the signal to a late onslaught we were to be mightily disappointed because it was the visitors who twice in the next five minutes nearly regained the lead. Gunn was again called into action with a smart save as the home defence began to look vulnerable and things got worse when Olly had to limp off after less than ten minutes action. Wes seemed to lose control of his radar as pass after pass went astray and City began to look distinctly second best.With ten minutes left Derby opened up the City defence and although Gunn parried Johnson''s shot from the left, Winnall had a simple task to bunle home the loose ball. To be honest I think everybody could see it coming and whether it was the long stint at Arsenal its hard to say but we didn''t look to have much more in the tank.With Derby milking every stoppage to the full it was frustrating for the crowd but apart from Jerome''s twenty yarder that cleared the bar by a foot or two an equaliser never really seemed on. It might even have been worse had not Zimmerman spared Gunn''s blushes clearing a ball rolling towards the empty net after the City keeper had advanced too far.So once again home form is taking an annoyingly familiar pattern, playing away seems a doodle in comparison. Dominating and failing to score is a bad habit to get into and one that we will need to shake sooner rather than later if we are to make any further progress. The tally of home goals is a long way short of what it needs to be at this stage.I thought Trybull and Tim Klose had decent games and Madders put in the effort, also Janic''s cameo impressed but in the end it all seemed a game too far and you couldn''t argue that Derby deserved the points.

Thanks as always Ricardo - agree with the overall sentiment. The Woollybacks deserved the win and credit to them for not accepting what they had at 1-0 & 1-1 (yes, there was a little time-wasting but not on the Olympic scale we are normally witness to).

Really not sure what to make of the penalty shout - I was at the opposite end too - but it seemed nailed on to me in real time.

With a name like Peter Bankes, I almost expected some ''Mary Poppins'' referring today though..!

#illgetmecoat

You have to go back several games to witness City making so many sloppy inaccurate passes gifting the ball to the opposition far too many times.

I thought Reed could have stayed on with either Wes or Maddison sacrificed as they were both making a mess of everything.

In view of recent record coupled with the fine performance at The Emirates must not be too critical. Whilst I understand the thinking, big mistake to take off Reed. Upon his departure we lost control of the game. I suppose there has to be a scapegoat, but Wes did nothing for me. So frustrating to see him fiddle then give a short pass to a heavily marked colleague who then had little options. We are making good progress and should make the playoffs in what is a very average Championship. One big basic problem remains in that we continually fail to get players, on occasions none, in to the box to support the lone striker. It would help if both Murphy and Wildschut were a bit more consistent.

Derby were very fortunate with the penalty shout, but all said and done it was a very good away performance and they deserved the win. An unerring finish by Nugent. Unbeaten in 6 now. Rowett seems to have them well drilled after a shakey start.

Thanks for the report! First game I''ve missed this season but i didn''t mind as it was predictable that we''d struggle a bit. Said before the game I''d be happy with a draw, when I checked the score at 80 minutes I was pretty happy, shame how it turned out.

The players have to put in a lot to play in this system, we''ve been screwed over this week by Sky and the fixture computer. Our finishing is poor but in my mind it always has been, even in the Lambert days we needed quite a few chances to put one away (Holt excepted, bless that man!) but that''s what you get when you have to overhaul the squad in this league on a budget. Different ref and another days rest and we might have got a result. A less ridiculous injury list and we would have stood an even better chance.

I''m probably so laissez faire because I didn''t spend any money or time watching the game but looking at the schedule we''ve had, coupled with the injuries, you can''t be too unhappy with this result. Plenty of the season left and we were never going to storm to the top of this league and stay there anyway

DM - genuine enquiry. Why Woolybacks? Not heard that term with reference to Derby. I associate it with towns surrounding Liverpool like Widnes and Warrington.

As to the game fair report Ricardo. We really need to start converting some of the good chances we are creating. But if we keep creating them then at some point they surely must go in.

It’s a long journey home when we lose and plenty of time to reflect but if the lads are giving their all then I find it hard to criticise. Yes perhaps DF was a bit naive in his decision making but the game could and should have been won before he had to make tactical changes.

Ref bottled the penalty, and Derby keeper should have gone......Wes was not at his best......We go again on Tuesday night......"Trick, or treat?"........

[quote user="ricardo"]It seemed a matter of time before we scored and when a mix up in the Derby back line saw Murphy nip past the keeper and go down right on the bye line I was expecting a penalty and a red card. [/quote]As I understand it, the ref can no longer give both. He cannot send the player off if he''s awarded a penalty.

I thought that if it was a genuine attempt to get the ball. For example the keeper comes out, dives at a players foot, the player knocks it past him and is taken out, then its not a red card.

Whereas Scott Carson made no attempt for the ball when pulling Murphy back, so would have been sent off?

From a hundred yards away it looked a stone waller. I''d be interested to hear from anyone who was a bit closer.

[quote user="ricardo"]From a hundred yards away it looked a stone waller. I''d be interested to hear from anyone who was a bit closer.[/quote]
This video clip on Darren Eadie''s Twitter page shows the second stage of the incident, i.e. Carson''s tackle from behind putting the ball out. What happened is clear enough; it''s a question of the exact Rules and their interpretation. The first stage of the incident, Carson laying hands on Murphy is less clear; Farke''s comments after the game imply that that is where the real issue lies. If Carson pulls or pushes Murphy down a penalty should have been awarded, but in fact Murphy tried to stay on his feet until tripped by Carson''s subsequent tackle. In sum, despite initial appearances, it wasn''t a stonewall penalty, but the benefit of any doubt was given to Carson, not Murphy.

Carson grabbed Murphy round the neck to pull him back, otherwise he was gone. That is a blatant foul & a stonewall penalty, regardless of whether Murphy goes down or not. He has gained a crucial advantage by means of a clear & obvious foul. If that isn''t a penalty, then we might as well give up awarding penalties under any circumstances.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="ricardo"]It seemed a matter of time before we scored and when a mix up in the Derby back line saw Murphy nip past the keeper and go down right on the bye line I was expecting a penalty and a red card. [/quote]As I understand it, the ref can no longer give both. He cannot send the player off if he''s awarded a penalty.[/quote]That must be a very new rule as it certainly didn''t apply for our Play-Off SF 2nd leg in 2015.

Thanks for the report Ricardo - only just read it as I was too fed up on Saturday!Carson clearly grabs Josh just before the tackle  - definitely a penalty.

@Making Plans

If that''s the case would that mean should we get another incident like Berra''s blatant goaline handball in the play of semi''s again the ref could only award a penalty or send of the player? You''d get a yellow for stopping a certain goal with there being no guarantee the taker would score.

If that was the case then we would have been livid!