Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Premier League 2

I just read in an Asian newspaper that 18 Championship clubs were in secret talks to breakaway from EFL because of poor Sky deal and were forming an EPL2

Apparently tals are ongoing with Amazon and other broadcasters

I haven''t seen this mentioned anywhere else. Other posters know about it?

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]I just read in an Asian newspaper that 18 Championship clubs were in secret talks to breakaway from EFL because of poor Sky deal and were forming an EPL2

Apparently tals are ongoing with Amazon and other broadcasters

I haven''t seen this mentioned anywhere else. Other posters know about it?[/quote]Doh! [:''(]

May be the intent was made known but the details were made a secret?

Seems a way-out story to be put to print.

If true, I wonder who the eighteen were?

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-27/english-soccer-clubs-said-to-weigh-breakaway-premier-league-2

Oh dear, the criteria for inclusion seems a bit deluded, I expect someone will want to include stars on shirts!

[/quote]It is not the most clearly sourced story, perhaps understandably. There is no mention of criteria for inclusion. One might guess at some of the clubs that think they ought to be included, and why, but nothing is stated.

There is a point in that tonight''s game, Leeds v Sheff Utd will probably attract nearly THREE times the crowd figures of say B''mouth v Burnley and undoubtedly have a greater worldwide audience as well.Yet the former get peanuts in comparison.

Hasnt this been talked about year ago? Only way i can see this happening is if the premier league has plans to restrict promotion and relegation, which has also been put forwards in the past, forcing the football leagues hand.

To have any chance the whole league system would need to cut away and the money be more fairly spread down to what are currently leagues 1 and 2 but. Would UEFA and FIFA even acknowledge the new league and give it European football? i think it''s unlikely they would so top players wouldnt want to join it making it second rate from the start.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Hasnt this been talked about year ago? Only way i can see this happening is if the premier league has plans to restrict promotion and relegation, which has also been put forwards in the past, forcing the football leagues hand.

To have any chance the whole league system would need to cut away and the money be more fairly spread down to what are currently leagues 1 and 2 but. Would UEFA and FIFA even acknowledge the new league and give it European football? i think it''s unlikely they would so top players wouldnt want to join it making it second rate from the start.[/quote]Not sure about that. I can see the advantage for the Premier League, in that at the moment relegated clubs get peanuts in TV money and are only sustained by parachute payments. If - a big condition - a Premier League 2 had a much more lucrative TV deal the PL 1 might well be happy to continue with the same three up, three down formula, and for the whole system to stay part of the English football pyramid.Especially if some of the clubs coming up are potentially the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, and Ipswich, with their glorious three-star history, of which we can only be embarrassingly envious. One point from that report which surprised me was that the aim would be to have only 18 clubs, which is two less than the current PL, and six down on the current Championship.

Hope this does not happen.

I love the championship. loads more games than premier league plus get guaranteed six points against binners. Loads more games on a Saturday. I know we need to get promoted to remain financially stable long term. But at the minute with our seeming continuing yo-yoing we get the best of both worlds.

OTBC

Let the so called big six/seven/eight sod off and form a  European League, top of Champs move up into prem, relegation /promotion as normal.  top two/three of new prem promoted to European League, bottom 2 /3 English teams in that League, back down into the Prem, simple, everyone has something to play for.

@wcork

Any European super league will be a closed shop- these big clubs can''t risk losing the money they''d get from it.

I''d happily let them do it though, if we could trust the remaining clubs to build something more equitable and competitive out of the ashes. Sure we might lose the top players but I''ll take that if it creates an environment where every team can actually have some vague hope of winning.

[quote user="king canary"]@wcork

Any European super league will be a closed shop- these big clubs can''t risk losing the money they''d get from it.

I''d happily let them do it though, if we could trust the remaining clubs to build something more equitable and competitive out of the ashes. Sure we might lose the top players but I''ll take that if it creates an environment where every team can actually have some vague hope of winning.[/quote]

Would be much better for the top six to **** off. They create such an unequal playing field in the EPL the other 14 are simply competing to be the best of the also rans. The EPL is dead boring as you can predict with some certainty as to who will fill the top six positions every single ******* season. The Championship is a much better league as a competition.

The Championship is only what it is because of the Premiership and that has a knock on effect to the lower leagues. Dilute that and will be the death of many of the smaller clubs.

Can''t, for once, argue with that Big Vince.

Wish the ''big 6'' would clear off and do their own thing. If the people who run those clubs truly believe the game needs them more than they need the game, they''re not only living in cloud cuckoo land but also investing in a second property there and looking out for decent schools for their children.

A revised English league system, managed by one Governing body and comprising of 5 leagues of 20 clubs with (Prem, One, Two, Three South & Three North) could generate enormous interest and support.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Liverpool & Tottenham would soon be on the outside, "looking forward" to another mid-week clash with Anderlecht or RB Leipzig and soon want back in again.

The big 6 in England, and others across Europe, have looked at the possibility of a ''European Super League'' and they have concluded that it wouldn''t be viable or make them any richer.

They all seem content to remain in their existing leagues, but try to get a slightly larger slice of the money (or make the pot of cash shared even larger - which has been the Premier League''s approach).

One of the arguments is about investment is that there are now far more ''wealthy'' owners than PL spots, and in the Premier League almost every team (aside from Burnley?) are owned by people with vast amounts of wealth.

In the Championship you now have 10 or so teams with just as much money, but they cannot all get into the Premier League. Thats before you include the ''bigger'' teams without as much money (Norwich, Sunderland etc)

For that reason a ''PL2'' is almost inevitable in my eyes, a closed shop that separates it from the rest of the football league, with the PL2 (15-20teams) getting a bigger TV deal than the current deal for the whole Football League (72 teams)

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The big 6 in England, and others across Europe, have looked at the possibility of a ''European Super League'' and they have concluded that it wouldn''t be viable or make them any richer.

They all seem content to remain in their existing leagues, but try to get a slightly larger slice of the money (or make the pot of cash shared even larger - which has been the Premier League''s approach).[/quote]I may be wrong but I thought part of the rationale behind the misnamed Champions League, with non-champions included and a drawn-out group stage, was to provide the top clubs in the top leagues with enough money so that a breakaway super league would not be sufficiently more lucrative to make it worth their while.

wcorkcanary: "Let the so called big six/seven/eight sod off and form a  European League, top of Champs move up into prem, relegation /promotion as normal.  top two/three of new prem promoted to European League, bottom 2 /3 English teams in that League, back down into the Prem, simple, everyone has something to play for."

THIS!

How many teams would be in this so-called super league?

We, alone would have six clubs wanting entry, and then the Scottish pair might claim a place each ... and that''s just for starters.

Several from the Bundeslegia a few from Italy and Spain then throw in at least one from ALL the rest of the nations who have sides competing in the current competitions and it would be packed beyond good sense.

Practically impossible unless there are meant to be two divisions, but I''ve heard nothing of this set-up.

Also, with no possibility of promotion to the elite then the vast majority of football supporters of those teams ostracised would likely have no interest in such a league at all. View this on a European wide basis and an overwhelming majority of fans of the game would switch off, so to speak.

It would hardly be the pot of gold that the current competition offers.