Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

After 19 league and cup games

A quarter of the season gone in terms of games played and a mixed bag this season, but from what I''ve seen at matches and online (I''ve seen nearly every match in full) -Klose and Zimmermann are an excellent CB pairing - and Hanley looks just as good as either of them. Maddison is brilliant but needs more help and sometimes rested.Trybull is excellent.Stiepermann looks good on the ball and has been unlucky with several chances.Wildschut is a beast but needs to start scoring more for the kind of player he is. Gunn is the real deal. Pinto is captain fantastic.Husband is showing to be a very good player .Tettey is still important for us.Reed is also an important player. Watkins is better out wide. Oliveira is an excellent striker, but we need him to be fully fit.Jerome looks a little jaded, maybe lacking a little confidence - but will still score goals as the season progresses.Murphy is not yet good enough and is bounced off the ball too easily. Wes has not shown his best form yet this season.Pritchard will make a big difference when he is back firing in all cylinders. Naismith will still have an important role to play this season. Martin looks to be out of the first team picture. Farke is likeable, philosophical, intelligent and has shown he can fix problems, like the long running defensive issues.  Still work to be done as we need to score more goals.  Looking forward to seeing how he sorts that one out..... 

[quote user="king canary"]Wow, considering how excellent all our players are we must be challenging for the top 2 yeah?[/quote]Read it again. The message overall is that from goalkeeper to midfield we are good, but up front there are plenty of issues, Murphy''s form, Jerome''s confidence, Watkin''s position, Oliveira''s fitness, Yanic''s lack of goals.

We are a McDougall/Boyer partnership away from romping this league ..... throw in Jimmy Neighbour for a stab at the Champion''s League.

Vrancic - Championship Ozil. One or 2 neat passes a game, doesn’t break a sweat, lightweight and knocked off the ball easily, rarely seems to win it back or put a lot of effort in to getting back

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Why no mention of Vrancic? Is it because you were singing his praises and defending him but now won’t admit he’s absolute pony?[/quote]Thanks, hhs, I meant to put him in there. Vrancic has skills and a superb left foot, but is struggling to find his best form yet.

For me-

Husband has been at best average (started awfully, improved but still shakey at times)

Gunn has been an excellent shot stopper but need to dominate his area more

Stipermann is a utility player who doesn''t look wholly comfortable in any one position

Wildschut can run the ball but not do anything else- his crossing his absolute gash. He''s got a role to play but I don''t see him as much more than that.

Trybull has been excellent. Reed looks decent but the two of them together are too similar.

Zimmerman has varied from excellent to awful- more often the former though.

Jerome looks broken as a striker- not only is he not scoring goals, he doesn''t even look likely to get a shot on target.

Watkins looks like a bit of a nothing player.

Farke has impressed me with the way he reacted to the early poor results but he''s facing big challenge number two now. I have faith he can do it though.

Overall though we''ve seen a decline in the quality of the squad.

Dijks/Olsson > Stiepermann/Husband

Howson/Dorrans > Reed/Vrancic

Jacob > Watkins

Etc etc.

Fair enough, he did indeed have a good game at Brentford. That is tempered by the fact that it was in the Carabao cup, which Brentford only took seriously enough to play largely their reserve team (only 3 players started that game against us as did their recent league game against Derby).

Taking nothing away from a good performance but I''m afraid he need to show it against a Championship level team at least once before you can claim we haven''t seen his best form.

hogesar my view of Watkins last night was that he was running around like a headless chicken with no presence and lightweight.

Watkins was awful yesterday, all those who believe he’s a viable 3rd striker need to realise he’s not, as for the OP he really ought to judge on watching games and he would see just how poor this squad is when playing at home!

As for Pritchard being our saviour, that won’t happen as it will be a few months before he’s up to speed!

We have one shining light currently in Maddison and if we lose him we truly will be screwed!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]hogesar my view of Watkins last night was that he was running around like a headless chicken with no presence and lightweight.[/quote]
I thought he held the ball up fairly well and one a few headers against a very big defence. The only one who decided to gamble or get anywhere near him though was Vrancic who had a poor performance himself. He also made some half decent runs but Maddison et al decided to take an extra touch and the opportunity was lost.

@Hogesar

I missed the game last night but saw someone mention on twitter that we basically never attempted any real ''through balls'' to Watkins. Maybe we just didn''t actually play to his strengths?

[quote user="king canary"]@Hogesar

I missed the game last night but saw someone mention on twitter that we basically never attempted any real ''through balls'' to Watkins. Maybe we just didn''t actually play to his strengths?[/quote]
They would be correct. There were several opportunities to do so but Vrancic & Maddison in particular took an extra touch each time and the opportunity was lost.

Forever the optimist LDC which is a great quality that you have. For those of us that are home supporters much of what you say sounds empty.

e.g. Klose and Zimmermann are an excellent CB pairing. Yet without the two defensive midfielders they can''t stop a pig in a passage!

Maddison is brilliant but needs more help and sometimes rested. This is true plus he has been targeted by every team we''ve played and it''s a wonder that he hasn''t been injured by now.

Stiepermann has looked good but missing chances isn''t about luck. It''s called poor finishing.

Watkins is better outside the ground.

Why can''t you sometimes admit that we just aren''t good enough. e.g. at most home games this season.