Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Running with the ball?!

At home, in particular, this is the biggest weakness I see. Running with the ball or past players. Neither Trybull or Reed are happy to run forwards with the ball, even when there''s open space in front of them to run into. Vrancic also isn''t that sort of player. 
So from the back you''re relying on runs from Pinto & Stiepermann. Beyond them you''re essentially relying on Maddison who''s probably on balance holding onto the ball for a bit too long.
Wildshut has his weaknesses but his ability to get past people shouldn''t be underestimated when we''re just so, so limited to players who''ll run with the ball. I''ve missed Murphy off because he''s getting knocked off the ball before an opportunity for him to run happens.

Statistically, only Nottingham Forest and Boro have attempted more dribbles per game than Norwich at home this season.

Taking on players in one on ones has been a big feature of Farke''s game plan (it is straight out of the Tuchel/Dortmund play book).

This is where we miss Tettey or even Howson. Both are happy to run with the ball 20/30 yards and move play forwards. I understand there is a philosophy of letting the ball do the work but it has its limits.

I agree with you that this makes Yanic more important. I''ve said before he is incredibly one dimensional but that one dimension is something nobody else in our squad seems to possess.

Disappointed to see all these negative write-ups of Josh. I''ve missed the last two home games but I thought he looked excellent v Arsenal. Has it just been worked out that if you get physical with him it takes him out of the game?

@Bethnal

How many have been succesful though?

I was looking through Jerome''s stats recently and noticed his success rate in ''take-ons'' is pretty low, whereas Nelson''s were decent.

Norwich are third for successful dribbles. 11.6 per game

They are top for attempted dribbles. 19.3 per game.

These are BIG numbers for dribbles. Farke relys on players going past a player to create attacking moves, as he doesn''t commit a lot of men forward to create overlaps or 2 on 1 situations.

To be fair you see it a lot from Pinto and Stiepermann which is probably warping the figures a little bit because bar Maddison no one else was running forward or past players yesterday.

Last night did have very few successful dribbles from Norwich, that is true.

11 attempted, 4 completed. 2 by Maddison and 1 each by Pinto and Reed.

Whether this is a fault of Norwich, or evidence of Wolves ability to shut down a team I''m not sure. But is certainly way below the average for the team this season.

Funny really, Hoggy.

I keep saying how much we miss Howson, and you keep comparing him to Trybull and say he isn’t as good and isn’t missed.

Perhaps the penny’s finally dropped. We don’t have any one like Howson, and we miss it. One of his key attributes was his ability to pick up the ball and drive forward with it. Something you’ve pointed out our current midfields cannot do.

Maddison tried a few times but the two players who carry the ball quickly are Pinto and the much maligned Yanic. I believe Yanic was out for personal reasons. We needed him last night.

Seven of our current players are averaging more successful dribbles per game than Howson is for ''Boro. To put some flesh on the bones of Bethnal''s reference to Norwich''s high average of 11.6 successful dribbles per game, here are the individual figures:
Wildschut:  2.8
Murphy:     2.1
Hoolahan:  1.9
Maddison:  1.4
Pinto:          1.2
Stieperm''n: 1.2
Watkins:     1.0
Total:         11.6
It''s true that Howson sometimes made such forward runs from deep midfield, whereas none of our DM''s attempt it with any regularity at the moment, but then with Howson in that position how many clean sheets did we keep? As for Tettey, he hasn''t registered any at all so far this season. 

Howson could run with the ball, but rarely ever did. Tettey does, but often makes a mess of it. Trybull is getting rave reviews for doing a defensive midfield job, I doubt anyone thinks he''s even close to being as good as Howson at doing what Howson does, such as linking play because that''s not his strength.

We could do with a rangey box to box central midfielder but you''d mainly expect your attacking players to carry the ball forwards. Our wingbacks do it, Maddison tried, Murphy is badly out of form and Vrancic was asked to play a different role. Murphy in his start of season form and Wildschut available and we would have had that option.

I think some people are forgetting just how bad our injury crisis is, self inflicted or not it''s hampering our approach big time

I agree with all of that HR.
Wildshut would have made a difference yesterday. Obviously you''d expect Oliveira and Pritchard would have done, too.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Last night did have very few successful dribbles from Norwich, that is true.

11 attempted, 4 completed. 2 by Maddison and 1 each by Pinto and Reed.

Whether this is a fault of Norwich, or evidence of Wolves ability to shut down a team I''m not sure. But is certainly way below the average for the team this season.[/quote]Which does rather negate the point of that nonsense (if it ever had one)