Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Zonal marking

Who prefers it?

I am not a fan, as recently, we have conceded against Arsenal and Wolves (although, as I have mentioned in another thread, that perhaps Gunn could offer more, especially in the six yard box, at corners, which would help)

I have just seen PNE concede a goal, to zonal marking also.

It just looks a fair bit easier to concede, than using man-to-man for example.

Didn''t we just achieve a club record 5 consecutive clean sheets with zonal marking? It''s a funny old game Crabby ☺

I don''t really know what I prefer. I think zonal can work better if you have the players to pull it off, I''m just not sure we do. Done from a corner last night, twice against Arsenal (three times if you count Holding''s free header that Gunn kept out well), Mcgoldrick really should have put Ipswich ahead against us with another free header.

It''s definitely something we haven''t quite got the hang of.

Its taking our players a while to get used to it,personally i like it (when it works) as players can''t go missing so easy or be pulled out of position by when their man goes on a run. Hopefully we will get better at it.

form your own opinion - The "Magic Magyers" but 6 past England by exploiting man marking frailties with a simple drop into space by Nandor Hidegkutihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMhylkO2eoZonal marking is fluid man marking."psycho''s" guide to man marking - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOdlU_w-LEg

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 2017-11-02 12:32 AM:

Didn''t we just achieve a club record 5 consecutive clean sheets with zonal marking? It''s a funny old game Crabby ☺

But does five clean sheets mean it’s the way forward. You could say we conceded eight at Villa and Millwall in that case!

And let’s face it, rode our luck a wee bit in other matches, like Poorman Road! That factor that McGoldrick can’t head a ball is a factor, rather than the tactics giving city a clean sheet!

I also don’t like why we don’t leave anyone up front when defending a corner. What’s the point of a hoolahan or reed marking someone in the box?

Not a fan, but Farke has in general got us much more defensively sound compared to last season where we man to man marked and still conceded left right and center.

Personally I like the individual accountability of man to man, you know who your man is and you concentrate on stopping him also with zonal their best headers of the ball can target your weakest players.

Weren’t we conceding a lot at the far post in Ivo’s zone ? It would be interesting to see if someone else has moved to the back post

Zonal marking at set pieces is the system of choice for the vast majority of upper-level clubs in leagues world-wide. "Liking it" or "not liking it" is kind of irrelevant. The more pertinent question is what we need to improve our efficiency at it. 

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Weren’t we conceding a lot at the far post in Ivo’s zone ? It would be interesting to see if someone else has moved to the back post[/quote]This is the right sort of observation. But if the number of ill-equipped players exceeds that of the well-quipped .............
which I think is a big part of our problem. Maybe we should task one of our taller, physically stronger, better jumping players simply to attack the ball no matter which zone it is targeted at?

Middlesbrough had a couple of free headers as well.

The problem seems to be when players are trying to head the ball from a standing start against those who have a run at the ball. the kid who scored against us for Arsenal was much shorter than Klose but he was able to beat him to the header.

I''m not a huge fan of it myself.

It was interesting last night that they said that at PNE Neil had started the season using man marking but switched to zonal marking after a few weeks. Their results of late are interesting as will it be to see if he can arrest their slump now his initial honeymoon is over.

Arsenal''s 2nd goal owed a lot to Klose (and others) being out on their feet after a long hard couple of games and being unable to get off the ground against a fresh young striker.

I do accept that someone running towards the ball versus a standing jump often produces a goal - begs the question, when did we last score a headed goal from a corner?