Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

It’s not Jerome’s fault!

It’s the system we play with one up front in that nobody gets beyond him!

I can’t remember the last time, especially in a home game, that an attacking midfielder got beyond him after a flick on, so many people criticising him in the ground and on the radio but if he goes wide then surely a midfielder should get in the box ahead of him?

Rectify this problem and I’m sure we will start to worry teams more when they come to Carrow Road, and hopefully score a few more goals at home!

I would like to see us to stay between the lines at the edge of the box, let the other players worry about getting the crosses in.

Make runs off the defenders shoulders and be in the box for crosses, that’s it.

Unfortunately the way we play suits Jerome more than Oliveira, but leaves us woefully short up front as Jerome is dragged deep and wide. How many times today was there nobody in the box?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]All the clowns on Snorefolk![/quote]

Irrelevant then and not worth a thread.

Sub-clueless and drawing judgement after watching on the wireless.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]It’s the system we play with one up front in that nobody gets beyond him!

I can’t remember the last time, especially in a home game, that an attacking midfielder got beyond him after a flick on, so many people criticising him in the ground and on the radio but if he goes wide then surely a midfielder should get in the box ahead of him?

Rectify this problem and I’m sure we will start to worry teams more when they come to Carrow Road, and hopefully score a few more goals at home![/quote]

We kind of developed this similar problem when we changed from the wingless wonders with Wes at the dip of a diamond and two strikers in front of him to a lone striker.

I remember complaining then that far too frequently we found Holt or Morison sucked out onto the wing while ploughing a lone furrow and then crossing to ''the big man'' Hoolahan, when really, we needed to work out a way of it being the other way around. No such problem with two strikers crossing to each other

He is looking a little less effective than previously but to be fair to him hes 30 odd now and has put some serious shifts in whilst weve been without Oliveira

Yup, he''s not carrying the threat he has in the past where he made up for a lack of natural flair with pace and strength. He''s not letting opposing defenders know he''s there.

Looks like he’ll have to do a lot more with the lack of strikers in our squad and Olivera getting injured too

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="Baldyboy"]All the clowns on Snorefolk![/quote]

Irrelevant then and not worth a thread.

Sub-clueless and drawing judgement after watching on the wireless.[/quote]

I was there and heard people in the ground berating him around me too

Re midfielders getting beyond him, at least 2 of the 3 (normally 2 of Hoolahan, Maddison and Vrancic) tend to drop off when we need players pushing forward

He puts himself about and always buts a shift in but the simple matter of fact is that he doesn''t score enough and is wasteful in front of goal when you compare him to Oliveira.

That''s what you get with Jerome tho, if he was scoring more often he probably wouldn''t play for us and he''d be in the prem still.

Sadly we''ve got no choice but to get behind him because Oliveira can''t get fit at the moment. We could do with Murphy and the other wingers getting a few more goals if CamJam ain''t gonna deliver. I don''t care who scores for us we just need to get the ball in the back of the net more often, it''s costing us badly at the moment. Last season we had Howson and Pritchard regularly helping out in that department and we always looked dangerous going forward. I can''t say the same this season, we seem to have closed up shop and forgotten that part of our game.

More damning statistics today with only 4 out of 18 shots on target.

Darren Eadie summed it up with his analysis that when the ball does go in the box there is nobody in there the majority of the time.

We need to stop trying to walk the ball in and pull the trigger more often!

Baldy, the first and last statements pretty much contradict each other. I get what you are trying to say but the stats suggest we are either wasteful or shooting too much rather than waiting for a better chance.

Perhaps we need to be a bit smarter with our attacks now we aren''t piling forward as much as we were.

Oliviera is pretty wasteful in front of goal too. Thats not exclusive to Jerome. Jerome has had very few easy chances in recent games which should probably be more of a concern.

Did Jerome even have any chances today? Can’t remember anything clear cut off the top of my head. That’s more of an issue than actually missing chances

Jerome doesn''t do anything wrong but I''m not sure he really suits this system. I''ve seen a few on here claim Nelson is too selfish but actually we need that. We have a mixture of creative talents playing behind the loan striker and we don''t actually need someone else to try and tee someone else up instead of scoring.

As counterintuitive as it sounds, Jerome being so unselfish can actually be a detriment to the team.

Put it this way, I dont think Oliviera would have made a jot of difference today apart from making scuffing a couple of left footed chances from 30 yards.

I think Jerome suits the system better than Oliveira and is probably Farkes main choice but I dont think he had a great game today. Didnt effect it enough or move defenders about to create space for others which he''s usually good at. But like I said elsewhere, hes 30 odd and put in big shifts for us whilst Nelson has been unavailable and is probably taking its toll.

Pritchard will make the difference. Not long then he is back. Can you imagine Pritchard,Maddison and Murphy behind Camjam. One of them will surely give him the midfield runner he needs.

Most of us seem to like Jerome and that he''s had some famous moments in the yellow over the last few years there is no doubt.

It now seems, more than ever before, that a forward line with him as sole striker is impotent and not up to the goal threat deserving of a side aspiring to a play-off place or better.

Our greatest need in January is for a decent goal-getter, particularly as Oliveira seems unable to sustain a decent run of fitness at the moment and the youngsters appear not to be ready by their non-selection.

There would still be a place for CJ in certain games at certain times but right now I think I would rather have Martyn Waghorn leading the line for us, and that''s saying something. He puts himself about as well as having the knack of scoring on a regular basis needed by all strikers.

I don’t think anyone can or should criticise Jerome. He has scored important goals for us, and works very hard for the team, week in week out. A lot has been asked of him recently, and perhaps the stupidity of loaning out strikers like Morrison is biting city on the backside as Oliveira, yet again, breaks down and appears to me to be becoming somewhat a sick note! Look at the game time Jerome has had to put in at the age of 30, and folks are repeatedly suggesting Oliveira was “knackered’ following his 120 minute stint at Arsenal! My point being the championship is relentless, it’s tough, and Jerome cannot be expected to fill the void of Oliveiras weaknesses. Goals win matches. The goals for column at home s absolutely dire, and not too good away either. Unless Mr Webber and Farke address this problem soonest, then I think we can kiss goodbye to a top six finish. Goals win matches, keeping clean sheets alone do not!

Jerome is a good hard working pro with his best years behind him. Last season we created shed loads of chances and he got about 10. The style of play has changed and we create only a fraction now. This is not his prefered style but we have no others options due to injury and limited squad options. He has done a good job since we signed him but he will probably be lucky to score half a dozen this season and I suspect it will be his last here

The last two games he''s played Jerome has, as always, put in a shift for the team but he looks knackered and he''s not winning headers or getting in behind the defence in the way he used to, he''s literally just a presence up there, he''s not meaningfully influencing the game. At Ipswich I''m not sure he won a single header even though the effort was there.

We are paying the price for being a striker short, neither Jerome or Oliveira seem to be fully fit and because we only have two we''ve also had to flog them both into the ground. Is it ant wonder Nelson got injured again after he had to play 120 minutes on Tuesday when just back from injury.

@king

I think Farke prefers Jerome in this season because his runs create space for the midfield 3 behind him. Usually anyway, Jerome struggled yesterday and it was no coincidence Wes nor Maddison struggled and didnt have great games. Jeromes unselfishness also lends itself to be assistive although I understand sometimes people just want a striker to have a pop every now and again, Oliviera is a little too much in that regard.

Also, and I guess this is particularly pertinent away from home, he gives us an option to mix it up or play direct / get it forward quickly on the counter because he wins more aerial battles than Oliviera and has a higher success of holding the ball up and laying it off. Nelson isnt as strong however could still hold the ball up more than he does by not trying to turn a CB he has no chance of turning.

@Hoegsar

Interesting. Not sure I agree with you though.

For me, a striker like Jerome would suit if the attacking midfielders were expected to get close to and beyond the lone striker- I don''t see that is how Wes, Vrancic or Maddison actually play. If we''re going to play this slow build up, with shorter passing then the key things for the front man to have is a good first touch, close control and the ability to play shorter, quick passes in the final third.

Jerome is the plan b in my opinion- when we want to be more direct he''s a great option off the bench. But his core skills are heading, strength with his back to goal and tireless running in the channels- all things that are much better suited to a team playing it direct.

[quote user="canarycop"]Pritchard will make the difference. Not long then he is back. Can you imagine Pritchard,Maddison and Murphy behind Camjam. One of them will surely give him the midfield runner he needs.[/quote]

I think your right, Pritchards range of shooting will mean were less predictable aswell, lets hope he can get up to speed quickly once back.